Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Cold War Jets Campaign
Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 06:08 AM UTC
Ha HA!!

In the words of Darth Vader "I have you now.."

Here's a pic of the cockpit showing the installation of the Airwaves pe set. Not entirely sure about it's accuracy, but it looks much spiffier than just the kit parts.

Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 06:10 AM UTC
Here's the canopy in place, showing the seatbelts etc.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hey Matt I have Photobucket and WebShots to upload progress photos, but once your done with a campaign you need to add/upload photos in the campaign gallery, which I have no more allowed disc space.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
Joe and Q,

It costs less than a cup of coffee a month to subscribe here and you get unlimited (almost) photo space in the galleries...

Ad over.. where is my commission?

:)
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 09:53 AM UTC
Got more work done on the Su-7.
Main components are now stuck together and just need a little bit of filling and sanding. Surprisingly the fuselage halves fitted perfect and theres no mismatch on the allignments, something that can't be said for a lot of other kits I've built! I decided to plug up the slot for the stand. I'll be keeping that for a matchbox Seafox floatplane I got from a mate last week.

The kit has some working features like the old airfix bombers like a hinged rudder and ailerons as well as an opening cockpit. Too bad that hinges up and not slides back as it should! I will of course be doing it all fixed.
Behind is my other WIP a Mystere.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 01:40 PM UTC
I guess you gotta drop some pics then Joe. I don't know what to tell ya' bro.
Warren, too bad I don't drink coffee. "Q"
Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 07:36 AM UTC
maybe a little since it's not in the campaign, but thought it might be cool since it is a cold war jet. In fact that's about all I do.

just taking some pics today on vaca. and thought i'd share.

Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
One more for fun..
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:05 AM UTC
This shall be my entry:

It's one of the older kits from Airfix I believe, cast in white plastic and it also comes with a flying stand. I picked it up for a good price.

There's only one problem however:

The decals have yellowed which, if I'm not mistaken, cannot be fixed so I may need to find replacements.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The decals have yellowed which, if I'm not mistaken, cannot be fixed so I may need to find replacements.

Logan,

Actually, if you have a southward facing window you can prop the decals up in that. Prolonged exposure to sunlight bleaches them out and if you keep an eye on them they can fix the yellowing. It takes a little while (several days, I think) but it works. This is assuming you get regular sunlight, of course

On the other hand, being old Airfix decals, a replacement might be a better idea on general principles. But try the bleaching method if you want to fix the kit decals, whaddaya got to loose?

Michael
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Logan,

Actually, if you have a southward facing window you can prop the decals up in that. Prolonged exposure to sunlight bleaches them out and if you keep an eye on them they can fix the yellowing. It takes a little while (several days, I think) but it works. This is assuming you get regular sunlight, of course

On the other hand, being old Airfix decals, a replacement might be a better idea on general principles. But try the bleaching method if you want to fix the kit decals, whaddaya got to loose?

Michael

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I'll let you know how it goes.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC
Nice!
My dad built me that very same kit when I was a kid. Must've been sometime in the late 80's. He did it in the markings from the JFK and I also remember he did an F-14 from the same carrier (probably matchbox, I know it wasnt Airfix as the markings in that are VF-1 on the Enterprise). Used to have both of them flying in formation hanging from the ceiling. Really wish airfix would reissue it.
Still got them both stored away along with a load of other oldies. I remember it has some decent detail around the sonar bouy shoots and weapons bay.
Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
The sun definately works for the decals. Done it several times myself.

MAKE SURE you leave them in plastic or put them in a clear plastic bag, then use a bit of tape to hang them on the inside of the window. I use a West facing one, it works faster. Check it every day and you will slowly see the old declas start to look new again.

Given the age of these, you might have problems with cracking when you go to use them. Try not to bend or fold the sheet at all if you can help it. You might want to try a "tester" first ( an unused one from the sheet.) to see how they are going to act. If you get alot of cracking, you will need to overcoat the sheet with a clear binder, like future, or they will be impossible to use.

Hope this helps !
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
I've got them placed in a clear plastic bag and taped to the window but unfortunately my only windows face East so I'll have to see how it pans out.

If worst does come to worst, however, would anyone have a good line on replacement decals for a 1/72nd S-3A Viking or even U.S Navy decals that would be appropriate?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got them placed in a clear plastic bag and taped to the window but unfortunately my only windows face East so I'll have to see how it pans out.

If worst does come to worst, however, would anyone have a good line on replacement decals for a 1/72nd S-3A Viking or even U.S Navy decals that would be appropriate?

You don't have to put them behind a window, anywhere that they can be in the sun is fine. They just need to be protected from moisture (obviously)
Lawnguylander
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
This advice works, but only if Vertigo lives in the Northern hemisphere... If he's in the south, he'll have to use a North facing window!! But then again, you all probably knew that... Carry on!!
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This advice works, but only if Vertigo lives in the Northern hemisphere... If he's in the south, he'll have to use a North facing window!! But then again, you all probably knew that... Carry on!!

Ches,

The info part of the posting says he lives in Dublin, Ireland. My only concern is whether he gets any sun there

Michael
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:41 AM UTC
We're having uncharacteristically warm and sunny weather at the moment, believe it or not.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We're having uncharacteristically warm and sunny weather at the moment, believe it or not.

What do you mean by warm?? It is still 32 deg C everyday here but it is autumn...
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you mean by warm?? It is still 32 deg C everyday here but it is autumn...

I think it topped 12 deg C today.

During the summer it gets up into the 20's and during the odd heatwave it can get up to the 30's but by then everyone is wilting. I don't think we're suited to heat over here.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC
It got down to 19C here last night and we were all freezing!!
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 08:06 AM UTC
Logan,

I was digging around in the decal drawer today and found something you might be interested in:

I don't know what kit they're from, I don't have instructions, I don't know what's missing in the upper left corner; bottom line I don't know why I have them (I don't do 1/72)

BUT, if the Airfix kit decals aren't coming clean and you're interested, these are yours. Let me know!

Michael
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:00 AM UTC
I think I'll take you up on the offer, thanks. I'll shoot you a PM.

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 04:10 PM UTC
Keep at it everybody. I'm taking a week off and heading to Cancun for some sun, scuba and margarita's. Play nice while I'm gone. "Q"