Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Cold War Jets Campaign
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 06:18 AM UTC
The progress on your kit looks good! I always love seeing middle eastern aircraft. As far as my kit goes, they promised just a new piece, so hopefully I should have it soon. Due to my inherent lack of patience while working on kits, I picked up the Hasegawa 1/72 F-15E, as well as the 1/72 Hasegawa smart bomb kit, so I started a little bit on it this morning before work, and will get a bunch done on it this weekend since I have off.

On a side note with your mig that you are working on: My first time going to airventure they had a number of migs on display, and there was a man who seemed rather attatched to them. I asked if he flew them, and his reply was no, He was from Israel, and he proudly stated that his unit shot plenty of them down.

I was also wondring if anyone has purchased the Eduard Mig-21 Kit that was recently released. I really want to get my hands on one, and have dealt with their PE kits, but never a full model kit. I assume they are of good quality knowing the manufacturer. Seeing you building a mig gives me the itch to build one in an Egyptian scheme.
mpatman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 08:48 AM UTC
Michael,

I have purchased the new Eduard Mig-21 and it is a fantastic kit. the quality of the parts looks great. I have ordered another one and also pre-ordered the new SMT version. A mate of mine already has his one almost built and he said it was as good or better than anything Tamiya has released with the fit of the parts!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 09:02 AM UTC
@ Stephen, I had that kit in my stash for years but sold it when I got rid of my 1/72 stuff. It is good to see someone building one. I follow with interest.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC
Its not a bad kit and I've have had far worse from airfix and revell. A bit simple and the wings are chunky but it all fits together ok. Picked it up for a couple of quid from a second hand kit retailer. Recently someone in Poland was trying to sell one as a collectors item on evilbay for £100! I somehow doubt anyone went for that.
As far as I know this and the KP kit are the only games in town at 1:72. I was looking at some pics of the sprues in the KP SU-7 and it does look to me to have been based on this kit, if not a direct copy of it. I've also got a 1:25 kit of the Vostock 1 originally made by VEB in the early 80's. Its a 90's rebox by some other company.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
That Su-7's coming along nicely. May have to keep an eye out for that kit, my local pusher has all sorts of oddities and may get one in.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 04:38 AM UTC
Thanks to a day off and Amazon prime, I pounded thru a bunch of progress on my F-15E. Hopefully I'll have the nose for the "c" soon. After seeing many people on this site pre-shading I thought I'd try my hand at it. And the advice to turn the psi lower on the compressor as well: would have never thought of that. So, here is the progress on the new bird, it is the Hasegawa 1/72 F-15E, and I picked up the precision weapons kit, so I will be hanging some GBU-10s or 12s on the pylons. I will probably have to go back and post shade the panel lines with Tamiya smoke, and I really wanted to make the camo on the wings very subtle. None of the F-15's I have seen have a major contrast between the grays on the topside. So, it is difficult to see in the pictures, but it is definately 2 tone.

flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
Got a little more progress done the past couple days. I clear coated it, and began decalling, and painted up the gbus and cluster bombs, and started decalling those too. I forgot how fast 1/72 kits come together!

flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 04:09 PM UTC
And, with the day off, I finished it. The 1/72 stencil decals were a pain, but I didn't lose any!

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
Well done Michael. Make sure to post a pic or two in the gallery. "Q"
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 05:21 AM UTC
Update time:

I gave the cockpit a wash with Badab Black from the Citadel Wash range and then fixed the cockpit into the fuselage with the bomb bay and the tail boom; then the troubles began.

For the life of me I wasn't able to make the fuselage line of properly particularly around the nose cone. I did my best but the Viking will need plenty of sanding and filling which I was hoping to avoid on the nose cone as I don't want to mess up its natural shape.

The cockpit is actually lighter than the pictures imply.

And here's a shot of the underside with the slightly detailed bomb bay.

In other news I decided to purchase a squadron patch for the Viking, corresponding with the decals, and squadron VS-38 "Red Griffons".

It hasn't arrived yet bet it'll look similar to this only more fabricy.

Tailor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
AeroScale: 199 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
Gentlemen,
I see very nice progress being made in this blog and I feel very inspired by it.
I have been making progress with the 32nd Crusader from Trumpeter. Most of the fuselage has been assembled around the office. Inserting the nose conversion by Fisher Models did need a bit of tweaking, plastic strip and filler. I am reasonably certain that the larger gaps could have been avoided and occured solely due to my incompetence. I needed to dig out the resin nose quite a bit to make the kit's cockpit fit.
Next in line will be adding the landing gear which is included in the Fisher Models set, as well. I haven't decided on the weapons, yet but I guess I will go with a simple sidewinder set-up.
So far the build has been fun, even though the fit of the Trumpi kit is not really great.

Especially closing the hatches and panels is a pain. I can't get to make them sit flush with the rest of the surface.

I spared myself adding the engine detail on the inside as nothing of the whiole assembly can be seen from the outside.

Cheers,
Guido
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
that ejection seat looks sick, cant wait to see more progress on it!
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
Some actual progress to report.

Got the basic scheme down then painted the details:

Hobbycraft F2H-3 Banshee by mawz_models, on Flickr

Once that was done, a coat of Acryl Clear Gloss and it's decal time:

2 decals left and then it's time for a flat coat and to finish the fiddly bits.
Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 05:21 AM UTC
WOW So many great looking models. Have been a bit slow myself, with spring cleaning and yardwork this time of year, but have been making progress on the cougar. Want to make sure and have it finished before Scalefest, which is only ten days away now!!

Some strange artifacts showed up during resizing this pic, but when finished will post a nicer one.
dark_fang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
im a tad late to the party here but i hope i can make up with academy"s f-15c eagle this is as far as i've gotten so far

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 12:51 PM UTC
Oh Canada! That Banshee looks sharp! Really good work there. Russell
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
Thanks Russell, The Banshee's now done, although I didn't choose to fix the missing markings (Hobbycraft's old decal sheets suck and were missing parts of the tail markings)

drizzt73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi all,

I started the Eduard Mig-21 MF yesterday.

so far I have worked on the exhaust and part of the cockpit.

More pics to come

Cheers

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 02:46 AM UTC
Nice work everybody. I've been out of town for several weeks. Nice to return and see so much progress being made. Keep at it. "Q"
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
A few updates with me, the pictures do most of the talking.

A top down view of the Viking with the wings attached. I was surprised at how large they made the aircraft. The join wasn't great and I've been trying to sand them flush before filling the gaps.

A shot of the Vikings bomb bay, basic but not to basic.

A shot of the Vikings sonobouy bay, there's a problem here in that the piece for the bay doesn't actually fit. It's a pretty bad fit and it'll require some careful sanding to fix.

I don't believe I'll be able to finish the Viking in time for the deadline, there's a lot of work left to be done and I have another campaign finishing the day before. I'll keep working on her though.
Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
Great work everyone! Some cool looking models...

Attended Scalefest this past weekend and had a great time. The finished Cougar took first in it's category

Hope everyone has a grear holiday weekend!
Removed by original poster on 05/28/11 - 17:30:46 (GMT).
Leo1970
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 06:33 AM UTC
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 02:31 PM UTC