Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: P-40, Work Horse of WWII Campaign
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 - 12:54 PM UTC
Well, it was bound to happen and it did. I got the rest of my camo applied, did the touch ups where needed and then went to shoot my gloss coat. It crazed my paint. Now I have to wait for it it cure out completely then sand it out and repaint everything. Glad I don't have to have this to the customer until the middle of next month.... I'm done for the night. "Q"

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC
OUCH!

Bob
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 - 03:15 PM UTC
Bob and Matthew,

Thanks and I hope some of the info is helpful.

Matthew,

Nice camo work, pity with the clear coat, I've encountered a few similar issues in the past with some paints and use the Testor's ELO and start over from scratch again.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting that Trumpeter kit to do an RAF 112 Sqn bird.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Emre,

Model Master make the RAF Azure Blue in both enamel and acrylic, Gunze Sangyo also have RAF Azure Blue in one of their Aircraft Paint sets I'm not familar with which set number it is, {CS-652 or CS-654}, Life Color have Azure Blue in one of their paint sets.

Humbrol #157 is to dark for the RAF Azure Blue, Humbrol #47 would be the closest match from a Humbrol tinlet of Azure Blue.

The RAF and the USAAC both had Azure Blue but the USA mix was a different formula to the RAF colour.

Can you tell me which camo scheme and which P40 version you are building.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks a lot for the info Rob!

This is the P-40 I want to build.

However, even the Eagle Cal decal sheet instructions are not sure about the actual colors of this aircraft. They state the colors are Azure Blue for the undersurfaces, while Dark Green OR Dark Brown over Middlestone. They believe it is more likely green, so the illustrations are green, which I'll follow.

If you have further input about colors, I'll be very glad if you can share.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 01:24 AM UTC
Emre,

The US applied colours on that P-40 Medium Green/Sand over Light Blue, Model Master Medium Green is listed as US Medium Green 42, the Sand is Model Master Wood. Light Blue can be made as a 50/50 mix of Humbrol #47 and #130.
In the Gunze range the closest to Medium Green is H-340 Field Green and 19 Sandy Brown as the closest colours for the camo scheme.

This model subject was painted in the Light Blue {a 50/50 mix} on the under surfaces, the upper scheme is Olive Drab/Wood from the Model Master range.

I hope this info is helpfull
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 01:45 AM UTC
Thanks Rob, very helpful indeed. The only problem is that I don't have any of the colors you mention Let me see what I can do about that.

One question about the P-40 you built. It has a shark-mouth, but where are the eyes?
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC
Well, this is not the visual I had in mind when I thought I would "strip the ole girl", but here is what I have. Using a 220 grit sanding pad I started in sanding away all the crazed areas. Luckily there was very little on the tail end. I merely had to knock down the shine on that area. The wings caught the worst of it. So far I have about 10 minutes into it. Should be completely ready to repaint in another 20 minutes or so of touching things up. Figured there was no need to take her all the way down to bare plastic except where the crazing was the most severe. So far so good. Looking at the surfaces at a low angle in bright light has revealed it is just about glass smooth. Still a few areas to smooth out yet, but I'm getting there. Think I stick with my Future for the next gloss coat to avoid the same problem More to follow. "Q"

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
@ Matt: how much data will you lose or is the sanding stick not abrasive enough to worry about. I HATE SANDING, I HATE SANDING, I HATE SANDING but, I do love to build. I have been eyeing the brown that you have used, what color is that?

@ Emre: after looking at the a/c that you plan to modle I seem to remeber seeing the marking of the individual on the rudder pissing on the red rising sun. Am I wrong or ha PC taken over?

Bob
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Emre: after looking at the a/c that you plan to modle I seem to remeber seeing the marking of the individual on the rudder pissing on the red rising sun. Am I wrong or ha PC taken over?

Bob

Bob, you lost me there. I don't understand your question?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 06:48 AM UTC
Emre
I am going senile, I just found my CURTISS P-40 book and it shows that marking as you displayed. What I meant to state is that I thought that I recalled the little man was urinating on not a white mound but a rising sun like the Japanese military flag of WWII. It seems that the mind can be a dangerous thing to have (especially in my case) Anyway nice choice of markings for your build. I still like the MTO scheme for my F, North Africa RAF for the C, China (Robert L Scott) for the E. and France 1940 for the P-36.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
Bob, I didn't lose much if any detail. I merely knocked down the crazing that happened. I've since reshot the paint. The brown is Tamiya Flat Brown. Initially I used just brown, which ended being a gloss color but didn't realize it until after I had painted it. This go round I went with flat brown and like the look much better. I also fee handed the pattern rather than mask again. Will let this dry for a couple hours then prep her for glossing.....again. Thanks,"Q"

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 07:02 AM UTC
Bob,

The urinating individual on the P40e tail was done many years ago by the now OOP AeroMaster Decals.

Matthew,

Have you thought of using the Gunze 'Paint and Decal' remover on the camo instead of sanding.

Emre,

To answer your question the the RAAF P40e {that I added as a guide to your painting scheme} about not having the 'Eye' added, this particular bird in actual service life, lasted 5 days before it was damaged in a take off accident at Milne Bay. I have DVD with a 20 second film clip of this bird taxing at Milne Bay the day it arrived and there is no 'Eye' on the cowling.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC
I thought of that, but didn't want to risk getting anything that would strip paint in the cockpit. It took no time at all to remove the damaged areas by sanding and then buffing out the affected areas. She's currently drying with her new coat of paint. Working on masking the canopy and windscreen at the moment. Thanks, "Q"
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
I finished the cockpit area, closed the fuselage & glue it on the wings
(I don't know why the chips on the floor look too much in the photos )

Cheers Nick
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
Good progress Nick. One thing you might want to change is the area behind the cockpit. This was usually painted the same as the exterior of the plane and not the interior green. The persplex panels were easily removed so when it was time to paint, they were removed and replaced once painting was complete. What are all the red markings on the fuselage and wings....seam lines you intend to clean up? Keep at it, looking good.
I need to redo the brown on my build. It is too dark compared to the reference pics I have of the planes. yay...more work. No biggee. I think a little dark earth and I'm back in business.
"Q"
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Emre,

To answer your question the the RAAF P40e {that I added as a guide to your painting scheme} about not having the 'Eye' added, this particular bird in actual service life, lasted 5 days before it was damaged in a take off accident at Milne Bay. I have DVD with a 20 second film clip of this bird taxing at Milne Bay the day it arrived and there is no 'Eye' on the cowling.

A blind sharkie... naah, doesn't look cool
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 02:55 PM UTC
Hi Guys
2nd attempt at posting some photos.
Box art and Gloria Lyons decals

Cockpit nearly complete only need to add the scratch built seat belts.

More soon.
Hope the photos work this time.
Comments welcome.

chris
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 05:11 PM UTC
Chris: nice looking office, what tape are you using it looks medical.

Bob
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good progress Nick. One thing you might want to change is the area behind the cockpit. This was usually painted the same as the exterior of the plane and not the interior green. The persplex panels were easily removed so when it was time to paint, they were removed and replaced once painting was complete. What are all the red markings on the fuselage and wings....seam lines you intend to clean up? Keep at it, looking good.
I need to redo the brown on my build. It is too dark compared to the reference pics I have of the planes. yay...more work. No biggee. I think a little dark earth and I'm back in business.
"Q"

Roger that, I'll paint them properly, later
Excactly the red marker lines I drew, is to remind me to apply putty and rub to close the gaps
Thank you very much Mr. Mathew

Cheers Nick
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
Well after a quick remaksing job she now has a better color applied. Quite a bit of a difference between the old and the new. The brown I initially used made this thing look like a Russian plane. I went through my references and pics I found online and the dark earth looks considerably closer. Not sure why I chose the flat brown when I did...must be getting old or something.. lol Anyway, she has been repainted and is wearing her gloss coat. Once this has dried for a couple of days I'll get at it with decals. Not a lot of them on this particular bird so that should go rather quickly. More to follow. "Q"
Old color...

New color...

I masked off where the US insignia would have been painted over. These markings are pretty obvious in pics I have seen. I think it adds some visual interest as well....
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
Hello again!
When I first saw the initial colouring I thought that It was going to be a "mysterious" P-40, but now the colors look so familiar! How the heck did you managed to confuse it Mr. Matthew ?

It's very nice until now, but watch out, I can see some overspray in places

Cheers NIck
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 08:32 AM UTC
Thanks Nick. I can assure you, there isn't any over-spray. Just some tricks played by the lighting. "Q"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC
Yea, the lighting isn't helping. Tail on view, the port stab looks brown, almost can,'t see the demarcation line. Both stabs look like the fabric got peeled off, not that way in the side on views.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hi Bob
Thanks for the comment,it's coming along.
The tape is just bog standard masking tape,I've yet to figure out how to use our camera properly so the photo aren't quite true.

Chris
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Still here, just fighting with the NMF finish. Getting ready for attempt #3. Attempt #2 wasn't bad until I blew dust all over the still wet surface.