Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: P-40, Work Horse of WWII Campaign
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi guys. I am about to throw some paint at my build and I am in need of some assistance. I am going to do the "Daddy Please/Milk Wagon Express" scheme from this decal set . . .

and I am in a quandary regarding the colour of the topside of the horizontal stabilizers. The colour sheet with the decals seems to show it white, but I have seen a few similar builds with it OD, and read some reports that in this FG it was originally painted white but then painted over in OD to reduce visibility for strafing Japanese aircraft.

Can anybody help with any definitive references?

Cheers, D
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 07:14 AM UTC
Damian,

In my opinion I'd paint the tail in the OD, as some RAAF Sqn's also removed the white tailplane from their aircraft, around the same time.

Hope this helps a little.
wilbhi2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hey all...big update for me, Finally got this beast into the finishing and weathering stages. Using a montex mask set for the hawks head markings.

first - a couple a pictures showing the pound of milliput required to fill the wing joint: I bent some fine wire for brake lines and added styrene rod for the actuators. I also tried to make a canvass cover at the tail wheel, using tissue and milliput.

Primed and preshaded. Used a blue/black for the bottom and dark brown for the upper surfaces.

Finish coats......mixed several shades of ANA612 (xtracolor - better used as a glaze since it's so transparent. required 6 coats to build any depth) and a couple of shades of MM neutral grey).

(I have since added the medium green camo to the main wings)

Thanks for looking
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hi all,
After looking at the many great P-40 builds here, I started a 1/48 Tomahawk IIB, the quite new "North Africa Edition" from Academy. The improved decals are state of the art now.

I finished the paintwork of the cockpit today. More to follow shortly.

Cheers
Matt
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
Done

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 01:20 PM UTC
That's a real looker there, nicely done.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 01:40 PM UTC
Great work there Camogirl! Good looking bird. Nice job. Russell
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 02:59 PM UTC
Greetings Samantha,

Nice work on the P-40 but I do have one question, "Why is the landing gear backwards?"

All the best,
Brian
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work on the P-40 but I do have one question, "Why is the landing gear backwards?"

Coriolis effect Brian, it's a New Zealand bird, in the Southern Hemisphere we land from the opposite direction !

Nice work Camo, gotta love the speed builds !

I'm pretty well done puttying and sanding, and the glass is on now. I have some masking to do, and I'm still in two minds about the white upper stabilizer paint. I won't be doing much in the way of weathering on this bird, so being relatively fresh off the paint line I'm thinking the white upper might be appropriate. I'll ponder some more while I mask stuff up.

Bud, great progress on your build, thanks for sharing your progress pics with us. It's always great to see how others get things done.

Matty K, thanks for joining us. Another speed build to follow.

Cheers, D
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 07:43 AM UTC
Well guys and gals, better late then never. I just ordered a Hasegawa P-40N from Squadron. It was at a good price and I thought I might try to rapidly build one myself. I'll let you know. Take care, I've enjoyed looking at this thread a lot. I think I have a new found appreciation of the P-40!! Russell
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well guys and gals, better late then never.

And yet another speed demon builder joins the party. Welcome aboard Russell, and good luck with your build mate.

A little progress report from Chateau Reggie, glass is on and masked, and white paint done.

Cheers, D
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 08:16 PM UTC
Thats coming on nicely D

The legs are now on the right way round
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 10:36 AM UTC
@Damian: Thanks for your welcome. And nice progress by the way. The white tail scheme looks pretty cool!

@Russell: And I thought, I was starting late. Have a smooth build.

Meanwhile Curtiss Works completed another airframe...

Cheers
Matt
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hope I can make it all! My P-40N is due to arrive at the house on the 21st. I'll have to crack it open and get right too it I guess! Russell
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 04:54 PM UTC
Greetings everyone,

I've made some progress on the P-40K. The seams should be good and hide nicely when the primer is applied (I hope).

My desire to mount a bomb on the center line meant doing some scratch building for center rack and modifying the sway shackles by extending them slightly. It wasn't complicated just a little tedious (sometimes I see better without my glasses too ).

I found a 500lb. bomb from my parts box that was far better to use than the kit supplied bombs which were meant to mount under the wings. More to follow.

All the best,
Brian

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC
Well folks, here is my first post for the P-40 Campaign! I am well on my way to finishing this 49th fighter group, "white tail" machine! Hope you enjoy looking. Russell

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC
Well, a quick build she was! 13 hours later and the white tailed machine is finished! It is carrying camoflauge of the 49th fighter group based in the Southwest Pacific. The Curtiss P-40N is is from Hasegawa, is 72 scale and has neutral grey undersides, dark earth and dark green topsides and a red spinner to top it off! Hope you all get some enjoyment looking at it. I certainly had fun building her. Thanks. Russell

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:40 AM UTC
Nicely done Russell, well done on the quick finish and thanks for joining in.

I managed to get the NG sprayed last night and will do the OD today. It will be a scramble to get it finished but I'm fairly sure I will get there, maybe.

Cheers, D
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:48 AM UTC
Thanks a lot AusseiReg! It is always fun when a model seems to just fly together on it's own! That's quite a fish you've got in the picture on your profile! Of course you've got some really big fish in that Southern Ocean! Thanks again. Russell
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 01:51 PM UTC
Colour !

Apologies for the crappy pics, the digicam appears to have left the building so I've used the phone.

I will remove the masking soon and let it dry overnight, then Future tomorrow night after work.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 02:17 PM UTC
Ok, so I'm IMPATIENT !!!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
Nice build, Russell. Although Hasegawa's cockpit glazing is really badly cast. You did a nice job on it none the less.

Nice progress, Damian. Looking forward to see more.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:15 AM UTC
Well folks it's right down to the wire now, who's still building?

I have finished decalling and sprayed a couple of coats of Future last night, tonight I will fit the wheels and wheel bay doors an other assorted parts, then a couple of good coats of flat clear. The last item on the agenda is the prop/spinner assembly which has been painted and just needs some touch-ups and decalling.

Cheers, D
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well folks it's right down to the wire now, who's still building?

Cheers, D

Greetings Damian,

Yes, I’m still plugging away despite a bunch of setbacks the last few days including a bunch of marauding Raccoons. I work a 24 hour shift Friday. So I will attempt to finish the canopy tomorrow night. With luck I will have finished pictures (Minus any weathering) of it on Saturday morning.

Speaking of the decals I changed the entire theater of operation. I was getting ready to do 57th FG aircraft and on the same decal sheet was this great in your face, politically incorrect (Nowadays anyway) aircraft from 343rd FG based in the Aleutians’ in 1943. So one thing led to another and ………

All the best,
Brian

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With luck I will have finished pictures (Minus any weathering) of it on Saturday morning.

Good work Brian, I'll be doing the same thing with the no-weathering final pics. I will give it some weathering down the line sometime. Your build is looking good mate, nice choice of scheme.

Here's where I'm at . . . .

A few little touch-ups on the paint, decals on the spinner/prop assembly, and a goodly coat of flat clear and I'm there !

Cheers, D