World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-61 Black widow group build
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 01:57 AM UTC
Bruce, welcome aboard. Looking forward to your build. This is really shaping up as an special event here on Aeroscale.

Now all we need is someone to actually post the start of his/hers build. I'm still about a month away from my start.

Joel
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 02:06 AM UTC
Joel, yeah, I have to run down to Michaels (craft store here in the US) and pick mine up. Luckily I still have most of the paint on hand from the last one I did.

Later
didgeboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 02:52 AM UTC
Have to tell you all I am a little geeked about this group build. Pulled the kit out yesterday, but have not found any info on the net about what it's like. This will be the first WWII airplane I have built since I was literally a kid, last kit was a monogram P 40 at the age of 9. Excited to have the opportunity to build without restrictions and really focus on getting things right.

Justin, great idea.

If anyone has built this kit before I would love a few tips on issues it might have and if I need to add weight to the nose. Cheers.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And..............go!

Lol joel you hold me to high sir but just wait this is going to get interesting

Justin, that I do. I still point to your SR-71 build as a Masters Master. My best to date has been my SBD-4 Dauntless, and it's not even near the class your build is.

I'm just hoping to add a rung or two to my detailing skill ladder with this build. My current TBD-1 build is all about trying to create the perfect OOB model I can, with painting and weathering kicked up a notch or two.

BTW Sir, this reply to you has the "honor" of being my 1st post with the Windows 8.1 Upgrade that took all morning to install.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, yeah, I have to run down to Michaels (craft store here in the US) and pick mine up. Luckily I still have most of the paint on hand from the last one I did.

Later

Bruce, I live in the good old USA, New York/Long Island/Suffolk County, and have several Micheals near by. I never knew that they carried plastic models. Just thought it was a huge chain craft & art supply store.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have to tell you all I am a little geeked about this group build. Pulled the kit out yesterday, but have not found any info on the net about what it's like. This will be the first WWII airplane I have built since I was literally a kid, last kit was a monogram P 40 at the age of 9. Excited to have the opportunity to build without restrictions and really focus on getting things right.

Justin, great idea.

If anyone has built this kit before I would love a few tips on issues it might have and if I need to add weight to the nose. Cheers.

Damon, While I haven't built this kit, here is one of several reviews I've found on it. It's from IPMS site, so you can be pretty confident that it's a honest evaluation of the kit. The reviewer loved the kit, and highly recommends it.

Joel

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews2/aircraft/kits/dragon_72_p61/dragon_72_p61.htm
didgeboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thank you, had only seen one IPMS review that was in box, no build. Short review but the note about weight is great help. Mine unfortunately, does not come with the nice PE detail. I might be picking up the Eduard set for this. Would love to do an open cockpit and open cowling on this one.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 04:21 AM UTC
My entry will be a Dragon 1:72 with Lone Star resin, built as the "8 Ball"
Parts are intransit photos to follow.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC
Drat, I wanted to do the DML / Dragon 1/72 one, but wasn't willing to pay nort of U$40 on Evil Bay... And I didn't see any at the usual suspects...
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
joel why down grade I will stick with windows 7
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
quite a few more sign ups. I ordered my decals last night cant wait I'm frothing
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 11:30 AM UTC
Joel, if you actually find a Black Widow at Michael's, color me surprised. I look nearly every time in the store, and the selection seems to be over 50% car models, 10% Tester's/Hawk kits from the 60's, 20% snap-tite planes and the remainder 1/48 Spitfires and F/18 Hornets..
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hi Bruce !

Terri
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hi Terri! How's life been treating you?

Quoted Text

I never knew that they carried plastic models. Just thought it was a huge chain craft & art supply store.

Joel that they are. However the one in town here carries some Monogram kits and some AMT cars. Small section of paint and supplies (mainly carded Testors stuff) B-25, P-61 kits go for about 19.99 and Spitfire, P-40 and P-51's go for around 15.99. F-4's and helos and F/A18E's and F's for about 25.99. Most cars go for 17.99. If not in your area, all I can say is it must be a Florida thing.

Later
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 07:45 PM UTC
First shots. Laid down some interior green.
 photo P-61interior_zps83c2994b.jpg
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
Oh mark got a start hopefully my kit arrives today and thanks for kicking it off! There's no turning back now
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
BTW, is anyone else tackling the Airfix 1/72?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

joel why down grade I will stick with windows 7

Justin, 6 months ago my Laptop gave up the ghost. Even with me doing the repairs/replacements, it just didn't pay to fix it. So I went for a HP All in one with a 20 inch screen. It came with Win 8. Quite a difference to Vista. Win 8 really was written to make your pc feel more like a tablet or phone. I really didn't much care for it, as I would never put my fingers on my screen, and prefer to work from my desktop. With 8.1 I actually have my start button back, more useable features, & my computer seems to run a little faster. Being free, it was a no brainer for someone like me.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, if you actually find a Black Widow at Michael's, color me surprised. I look nearly every time in the store, and the selection seems to be over 50% car models, 10% Tester's/Hawk kits from the 60's, 20% snap-tite planes and the remainder 1/48 Spitfires and F/18 Hornets..

Mark, thanks for the heads up. Think I'll just stop in my local Michaels, and see just what they have.
Joel
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC
I read about the update just didn't know it was out hope its better but not leaving windows 7 anytime soon
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC
Mark, WTG. You're 1st out of the starting blocks. I'm still organizing the sequence of my build, and approx. what I want to do within each of those sequences. I'm not going to start with the traditional Cockpit then fuselage, as everyone else will be starting there. This way there will be a little more diversification to add to the overall knowledge base.

Joel
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 11:18 AM UTC
Going to try a few new weathering technics with this one should be a learning experience
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2013 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Going to try a few new weathering technics with this one should be a learning experience

Justin, looking forward to exchanging ideas with you on weathering. Right now I'm doing the OD/Gray paint scheme. Weathered with that used but not abused look.

Joel
vdejarnette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
AeroScale: 138 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 03:59 AM UTC
The last old school LHS around here is having a going out if business sale and I found a DML P-61A on the shelves for 20% of $26.00 and couldn't resist (They had a few other A and B Black Widows also for the same price). No time limit is my favorite kind of time limit so I will try to crack this open in the next year or so (Lol).

I also have an old 1/48 Revellogram Black Widow that has been sitting (opened but unbuilt) collecting dust since the last time I stopped building models as a kid (think mid-90's). If anyone wants to build it and give it a good home I will gladly send it to them for ~$5-10 (to cover shipping and packing of the box which is rather large). Not sure the decals are still useable, I do not have the box in front of me, but PM or email me if interested.

Off topic, but I also have a Testors F-19 in 1/48 that I don't want too so if you want both the Revellogram Widow and the F-19 "what if" kit I'll send them both to you for $20 all together. Otherwise they will both be going up on Ebay soon.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And I agree I thought for sure auss would have been all over this he's probably drunk and passed out under a rock

So here I am slaving away trying to keep the Australian economy running at the expense of any time at my favorite hobby and forum, and what do I get for my troubles? Totally unjustified insults and perpetuation of the untruths about myself (that I may have started over in the Cafe !!)

Anybody seen my bourbon?

Down to business . . . . . DIORAMA TIME !!!

Seventy-tooth scale DML kit and several Hasegawa fuel trucks and jeeps required, conveniently sitting in my stash patiently awaiting just such an opportunity.

Great idea guys, sexiest aircraft ever built, and the open-ended time frame suits me just fine right now with my real life time constraints.

Cheers, D