Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:16 Hasagawa Sopwith Camel.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 - 10:58 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 12:56 AM UTC
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 - 09:25 AM UTC
John, keep those updates coming.

Joel
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi John
I've just cracked open the box on my Camel and started the ejector pin mark clean up
have you seen this site?
http://www.pjvision.nl/index.html

I love the engine graphics
HTH
Andy
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John, keep those updates coming.

Joel

Thanks for the feedback Joel,that's what keeps me goin'.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi John
I've just cracked open the box on my Camel and started the ejector pin mark clean up
have you seen this site?
http://www.pjvision.nl/index.html

I love the engine graphics
HTH
Andy

Hi Andy ! That is what I love about shadow boxes,no one ever gets close enough to my models for me to bother.I admire your patience though.Thanks for the site.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Andy, Just took a look at that site, and I was blown away. It's certainly a great resource for modelers building either the 1/16 or 1/8 scale kits.
Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 - 11:35 AM UTC
I have been removing the silver from the cowlings as they are too bright for my purposes.I have noticed that there is an extra coat of very tough paint on the outside.To remove it I have to soak it overnight in ammonia, while the paint inside of the cowlings comes off right away.It must be due to an extra matte finish on the outside.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC
John, if that doesn't work, try a product like Simple Green.

I've re-viewed your last set of pictures, and noticed that you stated that once the cowling is on, that none of the cockpit will be visible in the shadow box. That will really be a shame, as it's fully detailed, and what isn't there will be added by you.

Will you be able to easily remove the model for viewing?

Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've re-viewed your last set of pictures, and noticed that you stated that once the cowling is on, that none of the cockpit will be visible in the shadow box. That will really be a shame, as it's fully detailed, and what isn't there will be added by you.

Joel

That's the thing Joel,once it is in the box it is completely inaccessible.I have done a lot of "modeling for God" in my day but at this stage of my life I just can't waste my time. Thanks for the info on Simple Green.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 02:53 AM UTC
John,
Does that mean that since the cockpit won't be seen, you wont' spend much time on it or any at all?
Joel
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

That's the thing Joel,once it is in the box it is completely inaccessible.I have done a lot of "modeling for God" in my day but at this stage of my life I just can't waste my time. Thanks for the info on Simple Green.

My sentiments exactly John. Life is just too short.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John,
Does that mean that since the cockpit won't be seen, you wont' spend much time on it or any at all?
Joel

That is right Joel but that doesn't mean that certain things like the instrument panel or other interesting parts couldn't be shown as being removed and displayed.This aircraft is being broken down and used for research purposes.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 - 05:54 AM UTC
John,
Great idea.

Joel
Torchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
AeroScale: 475 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been removing the silver from the cowlings as they are too bright for my purposes.I have noticed that there is an extra coat of very tough paint on the outside.To remove it I have to soak it overnight in ammonia, while the paint inside of the cowlings comes off right away.It must be due to an extra matte finish on the outside.

I've the same problem John typing with watering eyes!!!)
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 05:10 PM UTC
John,

Enjoying your every post!
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 - 04:56 AM UTC
I have decided to wait for the release of the Model Airways Fokker D.1 to replace the Camel on the trailer.I will use parts and pieces from the Camel as aircraft parts and pieces on shelves etc..Most will be modified to look like experimental pieces and not Camel parts.
I must admit that I feel out of my comfort zone using plastic for a structural type model.I know that I would never build it as a stand-alone model so why waste the parts.This will probably be my last 1/16th aircraft build and I would like to put my best effort into something that I know will turn out well, like a wood structural model that I have had occasion to build many times before.
Sorry for all the changes but it is just the way I do things when building dioramas.I don't firmly plan anything at this stage that can't be changed along the way.As I go along of course there
will come a point where the basic storyline and the composition will be pretty much locked in but until that time I am enjoying the creative process .
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 01:15 AM UTC

Rough sanding the ribs,next I will wash with an abrasive and water,let dry and paint on some matte medium.The resulting surface should be good for acrylics or pastels.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 02:42 AM UTC
Sorry about the deleted pics,sometimes when I move things around in photobucket that is the result, however, all the pics are available in photobucket on my album Diorama #9 "Against the wind" .I changed the title of one album and for some reason that deletes all the pics connected to that album on forum websites.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC

This is an excellent kit so far, everything fits perfectly and there is a lot of attention to detail.I can't wait to see what the real plastic guys can do with it.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 02:40 AM UTC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 04:24 AM UTC
John, I can't tell you how realistic the wing looks. One has to take a double check to realize it's the model wing and not the real deal.

Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 04:31 AM UTC

I want these wings to look like they have been in storage or hanging on the hangar wall for a long time.If I was using these wings on a model I would paint the metal fittings and weather them as well ,but where they are going on the wall they can hardly be seen and are really more decoration than anything else.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
dolly15

Would the wood still have some glossy varish areas or would they be all dull like you are showing. Though I think the varish gloss would take away from the current effect.

So never mind.

I agree with your Idea on the DR-1 fuselage.

Being rather intimate with an airframe Engineering department I think your idea for the Fokker E-V wing hanging from the "wall" would be in keeping with a bunch of test facility engineers.

Captn Tommy
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 09, 2013 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

dolly15

Would the wood still have some glossy varish areas or would they be all dull like you are showing. Though I think the varish gloss would take away from the current effect.

So never mind.

I agree with your Idea on the Dr.I fuselage.

Being rather intimate with an airframe Engineering department I think your idea for the Fokker E.V wing hanging from the "wall" would be in keeping with a bunch of test facility engineers.
Captn Tommy

Tommy
I like old stuff ! all my dioramas have some age to them,I don't like bright colors or shiny objects especially figures.I want to be able to draw the viewers immediate attention to where I want it to be,in this case the wind tunnel .Later the eye can wander where it wants to go.