Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:16 Hasagawa Sopwith Camel.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 - 11:39 PM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
Removed by original poster on 02/05/14 - 11:00:30 (GMT).
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 11:00 PM UTC

.....and in front of the firewall.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 02:18 AM UTC
John, both pictures are astonishing. At 1st I thought that I was looking at the real deal. Your wood texturing and finishing is as close to the real thing as possible. And your weathering technique for the interior parts makes those plastic bits and pieces seem like cast metal.
Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi Joel! nice to hear from you.Weathering is my favorite thing to do.It's not hard to do and you get instant results with proper surface preparation.Cheers! John.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel! nice to hear from you.Weathering is my favorite thing to do.It's not hard to do and you get instant results with proper surface preparation.Cheers! John.

John, Your surface preparation certainly makes the difference. One would be very hard pressed not to think that it is wood strips, not plastic.
Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
Model Airways
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John, Your surface preparation certainly makes the difference. One would be very hard pressed not to think that it is wood strips, not plastic.
Joel

I sure would like to see more skeletal models using wood colored plastic.For your reference I am showing two different models here,the Model Airways kit and the Hasagawa kit.The Model Airways kit is real wood and metal but the Hasakawa is all plastic but both do require lots of surface preparation.So there won't be any confusion I will identify each pic by manufacturer.Each kit has its pros and cons,which I will elaborate on in the future. Actually I would like to get a hold of both kits again and use their best aspects of each in one model.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 05:27 AM UTC
John, that certainly would be a big help, as I thought both kits were all plastic.
Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:51 PM UTC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 04:29 AM UTC
John, nice description of what those parts actually are. Many times I add parts and pieces, not sure exactly what they are, or what they do.
Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 11:18 AM UTC

Extreme L/H bottom view of the shadow box .
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 05:00 AM UTC
John, very, very impressive to say the least. This is certainly going to be a special build.
Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 05:43 AM UTC
Thanks Joel ! I'm getting anxious to see it finished myself as I still only have a rough idea of where I am going with this.
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2014 - 01:40 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 04:42 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC
I like the basic composition, if I was doing this piece for myself and other WW1 modelers it would be sufficient to stop here but this piece is going to be viewed by the general public ,especially the younger generations.With this in mind I have decided to add more to the overall visual interest by creating more detail as I did for "The Homecoming" diorama.That story was in the beginning meant to be a lot simpler and appeal mostly to adults ,especially veterans and was originally intended to be titled "The Road Taken."
I realized that this was a mistake, I got into this whole thing with the intention of helping to educate the younger ones about what aviation used to be about many years ago before the modern era by concentrating on the periods before,during and right after WW1.
Through the use of lighting I can pretty much control where the eyes of the viewer will first be drawn to,then it will important to hold that interest using what has been called the "Wow factor"
by letting the viewers eyes discover the more subtle detail through deeper visual exploration.So here's what I am planning....
Removed by original poster on 02/21/14 - 15:03:04 (GMT).
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
Good Morning everyone (Lurkers included)This is the first pic from the new composition.I am really excited about this especially because it is a completely new design and not a modified repeat of the first shadow box.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
John,
A 2nd story. Now there's something you almost never see in a aircraft diorama. What will that floor be used for? I'm assuming that it will be super detailed just like the ground floor. By controlled lighting, are you referring to the subject matter close to the front? or will you be actually adding lighting to draw the viewers eyes to a specific mini scene within the overall scene?
Joel
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John,
A 2nd story. Now there's something you almost never see in a aircraft diorama. What will that floor be used for? I'm assuming that it will be super detailed just like the ground floor. By controlled lighting, are you referring to the subject matter close to the front? or will you be actually adding lighting to draw the viewers eyes to a specific mini scene within the overall scene?
Joel

Thank you Joel for your encouragement,you will never know how much it means to this old guy.

To answer your questions I haven't really decided yet what I am going to put up there.A workshop with a wind tunnel model being built up would be nice.(I just thought about that idea while writing this)What I mean by controlling the lighting is that the brightest light will be reserved for the wind tunnel,the centerpiece of the story,which will be lit from the inside with the pilots watching.This is a trick I use to direct the viewers eye where I first want it to go.The "Wow factor" will be in more subtle lighting for the viewers eye to discover .I love it when kids say "Wow ! look at this or look at that."
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC
Joel,I have a secret Facebook closed group that you might be interested in,where some of the world's best diorama makers put up some of their stuff.If you would like to join us please send me a private message or mail .Cheers! John.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John,
Joel

Thank you Joel for your encouragement,you will never know how much it means to this old guy.

To answer your questions I haven't really decided yet what I am going to put up there.A workshop with a wind tunnel model being built up would be nice.(I just thought about that idea while writing this)What I mean by controlling the lighting is that the brightest light will be reserved for the wind tunnel,the centerpiece of the story,which will be lit from the inside with the pilots watching.This is a trick I use to direct the viewers eye where I first want it to go.The "Wow factor" will be in more subtle lighting for the viewers eye to discover .I love it when kids say "Wow ! look at this or look at that."

John,
Betcha I'm older then you: nearly 67 and still kicking I might add.

Thought that you just might be using small LED lights for interior lighting.

I've run across your builds on ARC and LSP. I don't build 1/32 scale, but my brother does, so I lurk to see he work and posts. Then I email him. His work puts min to shame.

Joel