_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 Czech FA2-3 Buffalo
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:21 AM UTC
Beautifully done,Joel! Very impressive.

Gary
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Super job Joel

Terri

Terri,
Thanks so much for stopping by. I always appreciate your comments and thoughts.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful job Joel! She looks to be worth the wait, the engine really stands out as does you excellent weathering.

Mike,
thank you so much for those most positive comments. For me the weathering was the real highlight of the build.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautifully done,Joel! Very impressive.

Gary

Gary,
I'm really glad that your like how the F2A-3 Buffalo turned out. It certainly was my biggest challenge since coming back to the hobby more then 7 years ago.
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It certainly was my biggest challenge since coming back to the hobby more then 7 years ago. Joel

Really? Why? Because of the inherent difficulty of the short-run kit, or the need to make it look good in 1/32 scale? It certainly seemed to me that you had a harder fight with that Spit IX a while back.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It certainly was my biggest challenge since coming back to the hobby more then 7 years ago. Joel

Really? Why? Because of the inherent difficulty of the short-run kit, or the need to make it look good in 1/32 scale? It certainly seemed to me that you had a harder fight with that Spit IX a while back.

Brian,
Excellent point. I really think it was both the large scale coupled with the short comings of a limited run kit. Everything is so much more visible in 1/32 scale, including ever little screw up I made. In addition was my original concept to model a particular aircraft, on a particular day.

The issues I had with the Spit were all paint/finish issues from using the wrong camo paint scheme. The fit was nearly perfect. True, I ventured way out of my comfort zone to correct those issues, as I never stripped a model successfully before. And it did look like death warmed over till I got a coat of primer back on.

I find it fitting that both the Spitfire and the Buffalo now are parked side by side.

Joel

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:47 AM UTC
Very nicely done Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Boy does this beg the question: Why were you away for so long? In my case my "corporate career" with Curtiss-Wright sucked time away on "more important things" and I had all but abandoned building till 2001, when I left corporate life and started to enjoy real life again. So I've been back since, say, 2002, and it's since then that I've acquired my "skills." (Happy to say, though, that some of the builds in my display case date from the early 80s, or are re-builds and refurbishments from that time).
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nicely done Joel

Mal,
Thank you very much for your most kinds words.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Boy does this beg the question: Why were you away for so long? In my case my "corporate career" with Curtiss-Wright sucked time away on "more important things" and I had all but abandoned building till 2001, when I left corporate life and started to enjoy real life again. So I've been back since, say, 2002, and it's since then that I've acquired my "skills." (Happy to say, though, that some of the builds in my display case date from the early 80s, or are re-builds and refurbishments from that time).

Brian,
It's a long story. But the highlights are a divorce (my decision), then the singles life for a few years, met my now wife of 35 years, a home, a son, and a lot more time needed at work. Ok, I also became a hard core freshwater Bass fisherman even though I live on LI., a mecca for saltwater fishing. Then the calling slowly came back. I've retired from fishing, the house is no longer a full time hobby, son is in his 20s, and work has settled down to just earning a living, as I'm semi retired.

I can honestly say that when I 1st came back, I couldn't believe just how far the hobby had progressed. I had some learning curve to even get to the point of being willing to post my work. While my work isn't exactly IPMS contest quality, I'm happy with the level I now build at, and slowly hope to continue to improve my skills.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:09 AM UTC
Beautiful build Joel, really fine work in all aspects.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful build Joel, really fine work in all aspects.

Cheers, D

Damian,
Thanks so much for appreciating my efforts.
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Boy does this beg the question: Why were you away for so long?

Quoted Text

It's a long story. But the highlights are a divorce * * * *

I am constrained to tell one anecdote about modeling and divorce.

My divorce, after 25 years of marriage, coincided with the end of my corporate life. So while on severance contemplating my future, in my bachelor apartment, I had plenty of time to get back into the hobby. I reconnected with modeling buddies and joined a modeling club hosted by some of them from two decades before.

It was a long drive to the club venue and one Friday evening about 5:30 I received a call from my divorce attorney, a lady who did not, I felt, have much sympathy for my situation. She asked me if I had time to talk and I said, "Sure, I'm just stuck in traffic on the way to my model club meeting."

There was an awkward pause on the other end of the line, and then I heard the words, "Model Club?"

It took me a moment to grasp the thought behind her words. I said, "You will recall when we first met and you asked me about my interests, I told you I was returning to my old hobby of plastic modeling. At the meeting there will be a number of old men like me admiring little plastic airplanes. You know, model airplanes. Model club."

I paused for a moment to let that sink in, then added, "You know, this might be a sign that you have been practicing divorce law a bit too long."

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Boy does this beg the question: Why were you away for so long?

Quoted Text

It's a long story. But the highlights are a divorce * * * *

I am constrained to tell one anecdote about modeling and divorce.

My divorce, after 25 years of marriage, coincided with the end of my corporate life. So while on severance contemplating my future, in my bachelor apartment, I had plenty of time to get back into the hobby. I reconnected with modeling buddies and joined a modeling club hosted by some of them from two decades before.

It was a long drive to the club venue and one Friday evening about 5:30 I received a call from my divorce attorney, a lady who did not, I felt, have much sympathy for my situation. She asked me if I had time to talk and I said, "Sure, I'm just stuck in traffic on the way to my model club meeting."

There was an awkward pause on the other end of the line, and then I heard the words, "Model Club?"

It took me a moment to grasp the thought behind her words. I said, "You will recall when we first met and you asked me about my interests, I told you I was returning to my old hobby of plastic modeling. At the meeting there will be a number of old men like me admiring little plastic airplanes. You know, model airplanes. Model club."

I paused for a moment to let that sink in, then added, "You know, this might be a sign that you have been practicing divorce law a bit too long."

Brian,
Now that's one great story. And here I went the opposite way as I was involved with our Local IPMS chapter,and big time into local and regional contests while I was married the 1st time. Took almost 30 years to get back into the hobby once again.
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 04:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian,
Now that's one great story. And here I went the opposite way as I was involved with our Local IPMS chapter,and big time into local and regional contests while I was married the 1st time. Took almost 30 years to get back into the hobby once again.
Joel

Wow.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
Brian,
It's kind of weird that we both took completely opposite paths to end up in exactly the same place. Go figure.
Joel
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 08:36 PM UTC
Nice to see this one finished. Turned out great! Excellent work. Off the top of my head, about the only nitpick I can think of is the lack of exhaust stains. Of course, not every plane had heavy exhaust stains at all time, but I feel this one could use some, considering it has staining around the wing machine gun ports.

Now after conquering this one, you must feeling like building some shake'n'bake kit now for a change?
But in the end, I hope this project got you thinking about delving further into short-run kit territory in the future.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice to see this one finished. Turned out great! Excellent work. Off the top of my head, about the only nitpick I can think of is the lack of exhaust stains. Of course, not every plane had heavy exhaust stains at all time, but I feel this one could use some, considering it has staining around the wing machine gun ports.

Now after conquering this one, you must feeling like building some shake'n'bake kit now for a change?
But in the end, I hope this project got you thinking about delving further into short-run kit territory in the future.

Eetu,
Actually, there is some exhaust staining. The issue is that I didn't make it dark enough. Will jut have to take the Buffalo out of the display case and add a little more. I guess I was just getting to the point of wanting this build done.

As for another limited run, multi media kit, I can certainly see myself doing another one when I come across a aircraft that I really want to build. I have a planned Ventura PV-1 build right after my A4F Scooter build, that will encompass a PE, Resin, and fuselage modifications. It would almost qualify as a multi media kit.
Joel
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2015 - 06:22 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

That is one fine looking Buffalo,and I'm looking forward to the A-4 build log.

Again I may be able to help with references if required.

Now back to my very very slow build 109.

Chris
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,

That is one fine looking Buffalo,and I'm looking forward to the A-4 build log.

Again I may be able to help with references if required.

Now back to my very very slow build 109.

Chris

Chris,
Thank you so much for your most kind words. It's kind of funny, but towards the end of the build I was really looking forward to finally finishing it and moving on to the Scooter. Now I miss my Buffalo work sessions. At least with Eetu's suggestion of more engine exhaust, I'll get another session out of it, and another post.

Thank you for the offer for the Scooter. I never turn down research help.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP