World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 Czech FA2-3 Buffalo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hey Joel ,

Nice to see that you got the wing issue shorted out . Also , very fine job on the tail section

Terri
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Joel ,

Nice to see that you got the wing issue shorted out . Also , very fine job on the tail section

Terri

Terri,
Thanks for appreciating my efforts.

BTW, I've decided to give that back cockpit bulkhead a full coat of Bondo even though it won't be seen very easily.

Joel
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 05:42 AM UTC
Nice progress again! Good to see you got the wing problem sorted out. I see you've still to glue in the fuselage belly window. Looks like it would be quite tricky to attach at this point with the majority of the cockpit components in place. Or are there some sort of ledges to stop the window from falling in?
Anyway, looking forward to seeing this come together.

Btw, I've made a start on that 1:48 scale Classic Airframes B-239 I mentioned a while ago. I'll start a build thread for it as soon as I get some WIP pictures taken.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 12:03 PM UTC
Fascinating - I keep away for a few days and then here's suddenly an almost completed Buffalo to look at ! Well done with the wings!

Magnus
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 07:11 PM UTC
Tough build Joel! I'll stick with the 1/48 Buffs.
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2015 - 07:21 PM UTC
Looking good Joel, you have handled the issues well.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice progress again! Good to see you got the wing problem sorted out. I see you've still to glue in the fuselage belly window. Looks like it would be quite tricky to attach at this point with the majority of the cockpit components in place. Or are there some sort of ledges to stop the window from falling in?
Anyway, looking forward to seeing this come together.

Btw, I've made a start on that 1:48 scale Classic Airframes B-239 I mentioned a while ago. I'll start a build thread for it as soon as I get some WIP pictures taken.

Eetu,
I'm certainly looking forward to following your build.

The F2A-3 doesn't have that look down window that earlier variants had including the 339-23 model, but rather a solid replacement with the two vents left in. The window became basically useless once the cockpit gas tank was installed below the seat so the pilot couldn't look through it.

Honestly, I haven't given any real thought about how I'm going to install it. The instructions just show it as an add on late in the build. I'm thinking that I'll just add 3 small tabs so it doesn't accidently get pushed into the fuselage or seat a little too deep.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fascinating - I keep away for a few days and then here's suddenly an almost completed Buffalo to look at ! Well done with the wings!

Magnus

Magnus,
Thanks. But somehow I don't think that you can classify the build as almost complete. I still have to figure out how to glue up the wings and add support rods.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tough build Joel! I'll stick with the 1/48 Buffs.

Brian,
Yeah, it's got to be the toughest build to date. Then again, your B-17F makes the F2A-3 seam like a walk in the Park. Every update is has you upping your game.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Joel, you have handled the issues well.

Paul,
Thanks. So far I've managed to keep my head slightly above water.
Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 - 11:23 PM UTC
Joel, good to see how you managed the wings to do what you want. As I alway say "we always win, why do the kits forget that?"
Keep it coming, I'll follow!

Torsten
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC
Torsten,
Thanks for following along with my great adventure.

As for the kits constantly forgetting your saying, beats me. Half the time they seam to just mock me, then do as they darn well please.
Joel
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
Nice save on the wings.
Now that Eetu has started a buffalo kinda reminds me of a TV ad that played here a while back (paraphrased)

Nice flock of Buffaloes
Herd of Buffalo
Yes I have,heard of chickens.

Chris
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 08:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,
Nice save on the wings.
Now that Eetu has started a buffalo kinda reminds me of a TV ad that played here a while back (paraphrased)

Nice flock of Buffaloes
Herd of Buffalo
Yes I have,heard of chickens.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for stopping by for a look at how I lucked out and got the wings basically straight. At least straight enough that the casual viewer will never see nor realize that there is still some warpage.

A little humor goes a long, long way with these type of builds. Thanks for sharing.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 06:15 AM UTC
Time for another small update.

I finally finished the rear cockpit bulkhead by adding a piece of .040 sheet, and a few applications of Bondo.

It was time to address the installation of the solid cover plate to replace the pilot's look down glass. The plate was substituted for the glass with the installation of a gas tank below and in front of the seat, which blocked the pilot's downward view. The plate still retained the two oblong exhaust holes.

Like most of the parts in the kit, the fit was close but far enough off to cause some issues. One long side and across the top fit ok, while the other long side had a rather large gap that I plugged with some sheet plastic. However, the three sides were flush with the fuselage. The real issue was the back lip. The radius was completely different then the fuselage. Since the rest of the plate didn't have any steps, I decided to sand about half off so the resulting shape flowed with the fuselage. I glued in a small piece of .040 sheet, then blended it in with Bondo.

I decided that I would blend in the panel so none of the seams would be an issue. During painting I planned to mask the panel and paint it a slightly different shade of light Gray. Hopefully, it will be a nice compromise.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 04:19 PM UTC
Man, I had no idea this kit was such a challenge. Like I said, I'll stick with 1/48.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Man, I had no idea this kit was such a challenge. Like I said, I'll stick with 1/48.

Brian,
Challenge isn't exactly the word I would have chosen. But I'm way to far into this build to pack it in, and head on over to ebay for the Special Hobby's 1/48 version.

As for a real Challenge, the wings are simple butt joints. Now there's a fun trip to frustration land for sure.

On the other hand, assuming that I'll get this beast done, every time I look at it, I'll get a great sense of satisfaction knowing that I beat it to the finish line.

Joel
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 08:24 PM UTC
Coming along nicely.
Usually recommend pinning the wing joints, but since the cockpit is in the way for most of the way, it looks it looks like it would be possible to do only for the front part of the joint.
But at least the joints are flat, that should reduce the challenge to "only" getting the hidedral right and making a sturdy enough joint.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2015 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Coming along nicely.
Usually recommend pinning the wing joints, but since the cockpit is in the way for most of the way, it looks it looks like it would be possible to do only for the front part of the joint.
But at least the joints are flat, that should reduce the challenge to "only" getting the hidedral right and making a sturdy enough joint.

Eetu,
As you said, you can only pin the front of the joint, and exact measuring isn't one of my strong points, so I went ahead and glued the butt joints. I 1st made sure that the wing surfaces was absolutely flat and smooth, then roughed up the matting surfaces just for a better glue bite. For glue I went with Tamiya's Orange cap, which is almost as thick as the old Testors tube glue. Having only one "working" eye makes exact alignment another joy for me, but I think I got them both pretty well lined up. I glued one wing last night, and the other this morning. Pictures to follow in a day or so.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 08:11 AM UTC
Time for a major update: Attaching the wings and Horizontal Stabilizers.

Day 1: It took quite a lot of dry fitting to get the Horizontal Stabilizer to fit into their respective mounting slots. The final fit wasn't perfect, but more then acceptable. Using good old Tamiya Extra Thin, they were glued into position.

Some careful putty work with Bondo should take care of those small gaps.

Day 2:
Next up was the wings. These are just plain butt joints, no tabs or mounting pins to aid in alignment nor add additional strength to the joint. I carefully planned both surfaces for each joint with a sanding block, then a liberal dose of Tamiya Orange cap glue, which is almost as thick as Testors Tube glue without "the kick". I glued just one wing and continually checked the alignment as I pressed and held pressure on the joint. After a few min to let the glue set, I applied a piece of masking tape attached to the fuselage then wrapped around the wing tip and back to the fuselage. Instead of just trying to get it tight by pulling one side, I adjusted and applied a little more pressure to each end of the tape alternating the adjustments till I felt it was tight enough, and about as even with the applied pressure.

Morning Day 3:
I repeated the process for the other wing. I applied Extra Thin to the butt joint of the 1st glued wing, and left the tape on.

Afternoon Day 3: I applied Extra Thin to the other wing joint leaving the tape on once again.

Day 4:removed the tape and let the glue joint continue to cure.

The top of the wing joint on both sides is pretty flush, but the bottom of the butt joint isn't flush, and will need some careful putty work.

And now you're up to speed on the build.

Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:56 AM UTC
Very nicely done Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nicely done Joel

Thanks Mal for stopping by.
Joel
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:15 PM UTC
Looking good!
Hmm, if those gaps are wide enough, I'd rather shim them with thin styrene sheet than use putty, which merely fills without providing structural strength to the seam.

I wonder why they couldn't have done this kit with the same wing construction as the 1:48 scale kits... Butt joints work just fine for the 1:72 scale kits, but 1:32 is a totally different thing with much heavier parts.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, if those gaps are wide enough, I'd rather shim them with thin styrene sheet than use putty, which merely fills without providing structural strength to the seam.

I agree on this one, for those wing joints I would be dropping in some stretched sprue or styrene shim for reinforcement.

Great progress on the build Joel, looking good so far.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:07 PM UTC
Eetu & Damian,
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Those gaps aren't very wide. The one in the bottom of the wing with the landing light is wide enough to accept a thin piece of .040 sheet for about a 1/3 of the butt joint. The glue is actually visible right below the surface in many places, and I'm assuming that it has become a mixture of glue/plastic, so I don't want to cut into it to force the strip in.

As for the gaps on the bottom of the horizontal stabilizers they're a different story. I think I'll go with strip there just to make the blending in that much easier.

Joel