World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 Czech FA2-3 Buffalo
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 - 11:24 PM UTC
Time for another mini update as I have a lot of time home these days,since I've been working half the week on the late shift or the overnight shift.

The cockpit of the F2A-3 is rather complicated, and is made up of several sub assemblies. I've already posted a picture of the basic unweathered IP/rudder peddle assembly. Next up is the seat sub-assembly.

I started with the correct seat as the kit contains the export version as well. Unfortunately, the seat is way too thick and chunky to have any kind of scale effect.

Rather then pour over the AM seats at the Sprue Brothers site, I went to work on the seat with #320 and #600 emery cloth. Once the sides, back, and front were nearly paper thin, I added the PE seat/back brace

I think that the seat now has a proper scale effect. The lever assembly just to the right of the seat is a bracket with the duel controls for raising and lowering the flaps, and raising and lowering the landing gear. The shafts do look a little chunky, but that's the way they should be. Just knobs were needed,which I made from several layers of white tacky glue.

Next up I built the seat sub-assembly. I left off the seat belts till after painting and weathering. The USN version doesn't have shoulder harnesses. Hard to believe, and I'm still researching that issue.

Before I painted the side walls I took a look at the scribing of the recessed panel lines, and they have a nice scale effect to them. But the rudder demarcation lines are just too shallow to give the impression that the rudder is a separate surface.

So using 1st my UMM #1 Universal scriber, followed by the Tamiya scriber, I deepened the recess so it looks like it goes all the way through. I still need to finish cleaning up the recesses.

The last sub-assembly that the IP sub-assembly attaches to is the central gas tank. The tank itself is rather crude once glued up, so I had to sand and fill with putty as needed. Naturally, I destroyed a nearly all of the surface details. Since you will won't see much of the tank once the fuselage halves are joined, I just replaced the major circle armor plates (?)with sheet plastic punched out circles.

Next up I painted the fuselage halves, the seat assembly, and the gas tank assembly with my Tamiya acrylic mix for Dark Dull Green. You can also see those two knobs painted semi gloss black.

Here's a picture of the IP/gas tank sub-assembly dry fitted. The fit is really pretty good. Actually, to get the IP in the correct orientation, you need to dry fit it, then glue the parts together. I had to do the same for the seat bulkhead as it's glued at a angle rather then straight up and down.

And now you're up to speed as to where I am in this most challenging build.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The universal problem is that it's black and white.

Joel

Don't understand. What is interesting to me is how hard it is to assign any color to the interior views from the photo!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The universal problem is that it's black and white.

Joel

Don't understand. What is interesting to me is how hard it is to assign any color to the interior views from the photo!

Brian,
That's my point. What color is the cockpit bulkhead?

Of course it would have been so much easier if I was building a model of an aircraft that was a success for the USN, not pulled from service right after 6/42. So I guess that not many records were kept, nor did many people back then seam to care about the Buffalo one way or the other.

One person whose been helping me, and also is having a hard time with the interior colors, especially wheel wells, struts, doors, and cowlings is Jim Maas, who wrote a book on the Buffalo. I just spoke to my brother who has the book, so I'll be borrowing it this Sunday.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 06:03 AM UTC
Work has continued on the cockpit. Each fuselage half was painted with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum to represent a final coating of Aluminum dope that was applied over clear Zinc Chromate. What I didn't want was the finish to look like raw Aluminum if I used Alcad11 #101 Flat Aluminum.

I then masked off the cockpit area and painted it with my custom mix of Tamiya acrylic Dark Dull Green.I finished detailing and enhancing the Starboard fuselage side with a cable for the trim wheel, rods for the throttle, and some electrical wiring. The goal here was just to make the side wall look somewhat busier then pure box stock.

Next was the addition of the pilot's bucket seat assembly.

And then I dry fitted the IP/rudder sub assembly.

And once again, you're up to pace with my build.

Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 09:58 AM UTC
Looking good Joel

Is the joystick the wrong way round? Isn't curve designed to accommodate the seat?

I have a Special Hobby Buffalo Mk 1 started but, like many of my builds it has stalled! This is partly due to the problem of working out what the interior colours should be and partly because I would really like to do it in Finish markings. You seem to have sorted out the interior colours so that should enable me to move forward on that score Do you have information on the the differences of the Finnish aircraft? I know I should have looked for the SH kit but when I saw this one I didn't know that they did 3 versions and I also didn't know which version the Fins used!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hi Joel

Lovely neat work! I think Mal's correct about the joystick, but it shouldn't be to hard to slice off and turn 'round.

All the best

Rowan
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 05:38 PM UTC
Also agree with the joystick. See below.

Just snip it off, reverse it, and drill & pin it back in

Should have another B-17F post up soon.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a Special Hobby Buffalo Mk 1 started but, like many of my builds it has stalled! This is partly due to the problem of working out what the interior colours should be and partly because I would really like to do it in Finish markings. You seem to have sorted out the interior colours so that should enable me to move forward on that score Do you have information on the the differences of the Finnish aircraft? I know I should have looked for the SH kit but when I saw this one I didn't know that they did 3 versions and I also didn't know which version the Fins used!

Oh, don't use a later variant for reference, the cockpit interior colors were different on Finnish B-239's. When delivered, they were aluminium with sidewalls painted black down to the side consoles (two "frame heights" down). Here's a picture: --link--
Later, when going through an overhaul at the State Aircraft Factory, the cockpits were painted light gray.

If it's this Buffalo mk.I kit you got, sorry, that's not the right variant for building a Finnish Brewster. Well, at least not without quite significant work, which would be pointless as there's kits of the right variant around. This would be the right one.

Buffalo mk.I is the UK designation for B-339E (export version of F2A-2). Finns flew the B-239, essentially a de-navalized export version of the F2A-1.

Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 06:11 PM UTC
Special Hobby did make a 1/32 B-239, but it may be hard to find these days. If memory serves, Classic Airframes did the B-239 in 1/48.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Special Hobby did make a 1/32 B-239, but it may be hard to find these days. If memory serves, Classic Airframes did the B-239 in 1/48.

Indeed, CA did a 1:48 kit. Being out of production, it can also be tricky to find nowadays. When looking for it, it's good to keep in mind that CA's F2A-1 kit has the exact same parts as the B-239 kit, the only difference is the instructions and decals, both of which are easy to find.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC
Mal,
The instructions actually call for the stick to be in that position, So just glued it into place and moved on. I just checked both the Maint and pilots manual, and there isn't a really clear picture of it. I then went through my photo file and I was surprised that there is just a few pictures with the control stick in it. Two pictures it looks like I have it in backwards, the others I'm not so sure.

It's easy enough to snip off an reglue it in the reverse position.

As for the finish B239s, I have some information but haven't really studied it since I'm doing the USN F2A-3 variant from 6/4/42. I can tell you that during 1939 that 43 F2AQ-1's were sent to Finland. It was basically a de-navalized version, including an engine swap to the Wright 950 hp 1820G-5 Cyclone. Armament was one .50 cal in the cowling, and two .50 cals in the wings. Interior color was Aluminum Dope over Clear Zinc Chromate.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Lovely neat work! I think Mal's correct about the joystick, but it shouldn't be to hard to slice off and turn 'round.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Thanks for stopping by. that's the way it is shown on the instruction sheet, so I just glued it up as I was busy with all the little details I was adding. Still have more to go.

I've had 2nd thoughts about which way the stick actually goes. If you really stare at that picture, it can be in either orientation.

I've been corresponding with Jim Maas who wrote the Squadron F2A Buffalo book (which I actually have a real copy of), and see what he can add. He does have access to a restored Buffalo, but I'm very leery of aircraft.

Joel
Removed by original poster on 05/18/15 - 22:03:19 (GMT).
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC
Here's a picture of the cockpit of a Belgian B-339: -link-
Curve definitely points to the front, IMO.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info on the Finnish B-239 everyone, and the colour info. So it looks like I will need to get the dedicated kit Fair doos, I will look out for one

PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The USN version doesn't have shoulder harnesses. Hard to believe, and I'm still researching that issue.

Hard to believe but true, Joel. USN aircraft didn't start the war with shoulder harnesses. They were added after enough pilots banged their faces off the IP upon catching a wire... Talk about the school of hard knocks.

I can check through some books and see if I can narrow down the date they began adding them for you, but I think you can feel safe only using a lap belt on a Buffalo.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 03:40 PM UTC
BELGIAN Buffalos? I had never heard of them before but there was 40 on order that never reached mainland Belgium! First the stick then the Belgians: I'm soaking up the info !

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The USN version doesn't have shoulder harnesses. Hard to believe, and I'm still researching that issue.

Hard to believe but true, Joel. USN aircraft didn't start the war with shoulder harnesses. They were added after enough pilots banged their faces off the IP upon catching a wire... Talk about the school of hard knocks.

I can check through some books and see if I can narrow down the date they began adding them for you, but I think you can feel safe only using a lap belt on a Buffalo.

Paul,
Thanks so much for the info and offer. Everything I've got says the same, so I didn't add shoulder harnesses.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:05 PM UTC
Got an email from Jim Maas, who sent a long a few pictures. It's really hard to tell (at least for me), but it does indeed seem that the instructions are wrong, so I'll snip off the stick, and reverse it.

Joel
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BELGIAN Buffalos? I had never heard of them before but there was 40 on order that never reached mainland Belgium! First the stick then the Belgians: I'm soaking up the info !

Magnus

Yeah, I was referring to just those. Ordered by Belgians but never reaching them, ending up being captured by Germans in France. Some of those were then diverted to Britain, where they ended up in Fleet Air Arm service.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure if I'm just being biased as a Finn, but in my opinion the differences between F2A-1/B-239 and F2A-3 are more significant than just some details. The major differences being the front fuselage, propeller, and cockpit details.

Looks like a promising start! It being your first multimedia limited-run kit, take it nice and easy, and be sure to test fit everything too much rather than too little.

Hmm, talking of Finnish Brewsters, I think it might be high time to build another one, as it's been a long time since my last one. I feel it would be high time to one of those 1:48 Classic Airframes kits I got in my stash...

Magnus,

You are, of course, quite right about all the differences adding up to more than "details". Of course, the biggest difference was how successful the Finns were with it! My hat's off to them (and you for tackling the 1/48 CA kit!)

Michael
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Magnus

There actually is a 1/48 decal sheet out that would let you model one Stateside in camo and Belgian markings but with a huge civil registration number. Definitely on my build list.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, talking of Finnish Brewsters, I think it might be high time to build another one, as it's been a long time since my last one. I feel it would be high time to one of those 1:48 Classic Airframes kits I got in my stash...

Here's mine!

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/features/1322
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BELGIAN Buffalos?

Wanna hear something that dropped my jaw a few years ago? The RAF had at least one Buffalo at Malta about the time the Gladiators arrived. Fleet Air Arm IIRC. I recall if later wound up in Egypt or Palestine.

Another forum created a "what if" of it: Brewster ‘Buffalo’ ASR.I, “NH-D”/W8251 of RAF 274 Sq.; Hal Far, Malta, 1942
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here's mine!

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/features/1322

Oh, I remember your Brewster from the 'Fighters under the midnight sun' campaign! Really nice work! Hope mine will turn out as nice. I have to read through your build article again before starting my build to be aware of possible pitfalls.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not sure if I'm just being biased as a Finn, but in my opinion the differences between F2A-1/B-239 and F2A-3 are more significant than just some details. The major differences being the front fuselage, propeller, and cockpit details.

Looks like a promising start! It being your first multimedia limited-run kit, take it nice and easy, and be sure to test fit everything too much rather than too little.

Magnus,

You are, of course, quite right about all the differences adding up to more than "details". Of course, the biggest difference was how successful the Finns were with it! My hat's off to them (and you for tackling the 1/48 CA kit!)

Michael

I presume you meant to address me, as it's my message you quoted?
Oh, I haven't even started, you can keep your hat on for me, at least for now. I've read quite differing build reports of the kit, some saying it goes together well for a limited-run kit, some saying it's challenging to say the least. And I've got a bunch of aftermarket stuff, including a new engine and CMK's cockpit set, so I don't quite know yet what I'm getting myself into...