General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/144 Scale modeling
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 02:38 PM UTC
Thankyou for your replies Bruce and Jessica.
Two very fine and different approaches to a problem that I so like doing - masking

Guess I'll have to get the tape out and shine-up the optivisor. Masking is exactly what put my Lysander on temporary hold.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi. Just thought I'd show this here.

The goal was to achieve a 3-color adversary scheme on this 144 Revell Tiger II, similiar to what was on the boxtop. First I tried Blue Tack, which just made a mess. Next, I tried tape, which didn't work out either. The ordinance racks proved difficult, and I should have left them off.

So I went ahead and tried to squirt it freehand. Turned out not bad if you like overspray and splatter:

Moving forward, I try to save it with a soft brush by hand. These are the result:

Tamiya paint is hard to hand brush anyway you try. Now I'm considering a very light sanding to knock off the paint nibs, and hope the coming Future coats will help blend it all.
Anyway, its a learning experience. Its all good.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 01:49 AM UTC
Ben,
I think you are doing a tremendous job on the F-5. That is a nice kit, and a difficult paint scheme. Personally, I think with the future, plus just a touch of very light weathering, it is going to blend in great for you. Keep us advised ........ Bruce
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi. Just thought I'd show this here.

Tamiya paint is hard to hand brush anyway you try. Now I'm considering a very light sanding to knock off the paint nibs, and hope the coming Future coats will help blend it all.
Anyway, its a learning experience. Its all good.

Looking good Ben, airbrushing in 1/144 is something to be mastered (I'm still not there) and as you have found the one drawback of Tamiya paint is it can't be brush painted. Which is the one reason I don't use it nor Gunze.
You can try a very fine wet sanding to remove the ridges but be very careful you don't get carried away and go to deep, do a couple of strokes then check, repeat as required.
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 09:51 AM UTC
If the campaign previously mentioned is the "Smurf Scale" then I've signed up for it.

I thought 1/72 was far too small so I barely glanced at 1/144 thinking it just silly scale for highly skilled but slightly mad people.

At a show my brother in law bought me the 1/144 Revel Tornado (£4) as a joke and we sat down to have a look at it... Then, out of curiosity, build it.

I was extremely surprised by the level of detail and how incredibly well the kit went together and I would highly recommend it to anybody!

I was curious to see what AM might be out there for 1/144 kits and discovered it's identical to "N" Gauge railway stuff. Opens up a whole new world (literally)! The first thing I did was bought the Preisser Nato Pilots and ground crew and made a small dio with the Tornado for the "Anything goes" Campaign. This is the Tornado and assorted staff. Ladder was scratchbuilt.

Being rather evil, the brother in law then bought me a 1/144 DH-2 and specified that it had to be rigged. Just gluing this stupidly small (and desperately fragile) thing together has been interesting and challenging, never mind rigging it.

I bought a couple of Revell "Micro Wings" kits (about £2 a pop) to practice on but their quality is nowhere near the quality of the Tornado.

So... I'm afraid I'm getting rather entranced by this wee scale and seriously enjoying building these tiny kits but at my age it does do my eyes in very quickly.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 10:05 AM UTC
Being fair to Revell, those Micro Wings kits are meant to be used as wargaming pieces and the moulds were first cut 35-odd years ago when 1/144 kits were lucky to have correct shapes let alone any interior details. 1/144 kits very hugely in detail depending upon when they were produced and who produced them.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 10:11 AM UTC
welcome to the madness! youre off to a great start!
the N-scale tie in is huge, there are mountains of great stuff available.
As you have observed, the Revell miniwings kits are pretty poor stuff, unfortunately, they were crap 30 years ago, and now they have been re-issued!
If you are interested in WWII topics look for Sweet and Platz.
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being fair to Revell, those Micro Wings kits are meant to be used as wargaming pieces and the moulds were first cut 35-odd years ago when 1/144 kits were lucky to have correct shapes let alone any interior details. 1/144 kits very hugely in detail depending upon when they were produced and who produced them.

Ahhh! Thanks Jessica. I did wonder why there was a clear plastic stand in the kit. I wasn't complaining about the Micro Wings kit, merely pointing out the (huge) difference between them for anyone that might not be aware.

My WW2 Micro Wings Typhoon has had some changes made to it... Pilot, rudimentary IP, harness and it will be built as an in flight model but I'm not going to bother fixing the large gaps underneath. Drat! I might have to try doing just that! Nooooooooooo! Resist!!!

Yup Jonathan, N Scale stuff is quite incredible for the size!

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was curious to see what AM might be out there for 1/144 kits and discovered it's identical to "N" Gauge railway stuff. Opens up a whole new world (literally)!

Murdo careful N gauge is not 1/144 it's 1/156 close enough for most things but shows up like a neon sign if placed next to an actual 1/144 vehicle.

Check out Matador models they have a range of airfield vehicles and replacement metal cockpits for the older 1/144 kits, also look out for Aeroclub (no website, only email and phone orders but does attend a few shows in the UK) as he has metal seated pilots and ejector seats (great to add a little weight in the nose) also does replacement metal engines and props. Also look out for Ozmods they have a range of complete kits and conversions as well as weapon sets and resin pilots.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2013 - 11:37 PM UTC
Its more complicated than that. British N scale is 1:148, Japan used 1:150. In the Americas and Europe it is 1:160. N scalers have this discussion constantly.
In all cases, careful measurement revels departures from scale both high and low. The most obviously undersize items are Herpa N scale vehicles, but Minimetals vehicles are pretty close to 1:144. GHQ vehicles are dead on 1:160.
Model power figures and some of their buildings are pretty big for N scale, and can't be placed next to Woodland Scenic figures.
N scalers take a mix and match approach, and include 1:144 items where they will work.
Here are some of my airport ground support vehicles

some were sold as N scale, some as 1:144.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Its more complicated than that. British N scale is 1:148, Japan used 1:150. In the Americas and Europe it is 1:160. N scalers have this discussion constantly.
In all cases, careful measurement revels departures from scale both high and low. The most obviously undersize items are Herpa N scale vehicles, but Minimetals vehicles are pretty close to 1:144. GHQ vehicles are dead on 1:160.
Model power figures and some of their buildings are pretty big for N scale, and can't be placed next to Woodland Scenic figures.
N scalers take a mix and match approach, and include 1:144 items where they will work.
Here are some of my airport ground support vehicles

some were sold as N scale, some as 1:144.

Thanks for expanding on the 'N'scale for us Jonathan, by the way what make are your airfield vehicles?

Here's a Matador 1/144 Beverette alongside a 'N' scale PG models Landrover S.III soft top
kymatti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC
Murdo,

here is my shameless attempt to direct you to my Shapeways shop.I have there some 1/144 who can probably intrest you. Please take a look :

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mattisminis

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2013 - 01:59 AM UTC
the tow motors are these Aozora kits, which claims to be 1/144. the larger trucks are bashed Minimetals trucks. They claim to be 1/160.

work in progress pic.
The Ford pick up and van and the electric carts are from
California Freight and Details they just say N scale, the pickup and van measure up close to 1/144, but the electric carts are pretty small, too small to put a seated figure on for example.

I no longer have an N scale railroad, but I am working on this 1/144 scale airport layout if anyone is curious.

Matti, your stuff is certainly welcome here, thanks for the good work making new stuff available.
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Murdo,

here is my shameless attempt to direct you to my Shapeways shop.I have there some 1/144 who can probably intrest you. Please take a look :

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/mattisminis

Thanks Kymatti. Love that 1/144 Bristol Bloodhound Missile!
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
Just to let you know. I've just finished a fully rigged 1/144 De Havilland DH-2.

The Aeroscale link is here:

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/209080&page=1#1755894

And here's a wee taster:

I honestly thought 1:144 scale was too small to be of any use but I'm really starting to like it an awful lot!

What my poor old eyes think of it is a different matter!

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 - 07:25 AM UTC
Finally, I've achieved a point where I can apply decals.

This little cat has been a grievious adventure. Mostly, my fat, clumsy fingers are to blame. I kept man-handling this part off; then that part. Had to keep glueing it back together, and I feel she's suffered as a result. Also, I found painting her rather difficult.

Oh Well! Decals, clearcoat sealer, and then an application of Testors Dullcoat, and she'll be a done deal. I'm very happy with it if I can get her to the finish line.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 12:12 AM UTC
@ Murdo - that De Havilland looks awesome. I didn't know they made WWI subjects in 1/144. I like your Tornado dio, too.

@ Ben - The Tiger II is coming along nicely.

Jim
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 12:45 AM UTC
Sram has an extensive line of resin WWI plane kits, theres a bunch on ebay right now.
Another, even more challenging option is Reviresco and Skytrex white metal kits, a wide selection

Including a DH-2
I have a bunch I bought a while back, but I havent had the gumption to try building one.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 04:22 AM UTC
Im afraid I don't have the courage to attempt a stringbag in this small scale. They are really appealing, though.

Decals are on. Should be complete come Sunday. She'll be my first completed 1/144, although I do have some hanger queens in this scale.

This little 1/144 Tiger is being completed for the Big Cats Campaign over on Armorama.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2013 - 06:17 AM UTC
Ben,
Looking good. Since this is your first in this scale, I'll give you a fair warning - once you get started - you just can't quit !!! I've also been getting quite a few of the MYK decals to go with various builds. And with these decals, this scale is really going to come into its own !

Take Care, Folks ...............Bruce
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 04:57 AM UTC
At first I thought this scale best left to the Lilliputs. Since finishing my first, though, I've changed my attitude. It was fun, and a very welcome learning curve.

Imperfectly finished:

All the sanding dust under the canopy is a result of drilling holes for my painting handle. Should have drilled them before mounting the canopy. A lesson learned for next time.

I'm still happy, it looks great from normal viewing distance.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 05:18 AM UTC
Ben,
Don't be too hard on yourself. It was a first for you, and you learned some lessons. Plus you completed a decent F-5. I've been at this since I was 5 years old, I'm 63 now, and STILL making mistakes and learning.

As for the scale,I think it is tremendous. The cost won't be prohibitive for most folks. The space the finished models take up is minimal, and the variety is ever growing. But then again,I was convinced of this many moons ago. So Welcome to Smurf Scale !

Take care and keep building ..........................Bruce
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 01, 2013 - 07:15 AM UTC
That's a fabulous jet, nice work!

Today's hi-res digital cameras are merciless, arent they tough on the ego sometimes.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 02:36 PM UTC
Folks,
This thread has been dormant way too long. So what kind of 1/144th scale projects are underway out there ? I know there HAS to be quite a few.
I have a Revell F-18C coming down the finishing line with my first use of MYK decals from Japan. What I can say,it will not be the last. It isn't perfect, but quite a decent little build, photos in a while.
So lets here from the readership - what projects have all of you got in work ?

Take Care........................Bruce
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 - 03:09 PM UTC
I'm about to start the DC-1