Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official "Aces High" Campaign Thread
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC
Very nice build, Yalym!

Neil, thanks for sharing the picture.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:28 PM UTC
Very nice Yalym!
Thanks Niel for supplying the photo.
All you have to do now is upload your photos into the gallery and you'll be an Ace Yalym!
Same for you as well Ayhan
Harm,,I hope you manage to find a suitable subject. You'll take the number of potential aces up to 50 if you enlist!
For those who have yet to upload photos, the gallery can be found

HERE

Nige
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 11:51 PM UTC
Ok I did. I have to do some retouching though. I don't know if I upload the new photoes. If demanded I will. By the way I have another "little" build, I am planing to upload it too if it decides to cooperate with me. Realy nice builds by the way everyone... Cheers!
Oh sorry sorry, thanks for the pic Neil.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 12:43 AM UTC
Nige wrote:
Quoted Text

Still waiting for our first Ace of the Jet Age
Nige

I'll do my outmost to get my Shahak done in time before I leave for vacation next week. The project seems jinxed, however. Latest problems - Not the correct fuel tanks included in the AML box, stencil decals missing (only enough for one side!), and accidently breaking off the front glass (my own fault, mind you ).

In addition to everything else, I will kick off the "Paparazzi Club" photo-recce campaign next week. Lots of things to take care of (including the family!), yet so little time...

...and then there's the European championship finals...

Cheers! // Polarbear
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hehe I hope Germany wins, it will mean something for us to lose then:P
Metalics look realy cool Björn!
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you very very much Neil!!! It may be a G-6 late version, they look pretty same and he was flying similar G-6s at the time as far as I know. Can I use this one? I saw the oversprays on the pals and prety surprised along with a few other details. I may need to retouch it a little.

..no problem ..please do. Would the overspray look 'right' on the model..I don't know, somebody somewhere will say it doesn't...great winter camo finish by the way....bad luck in the footie...I was supporting your English player !! ( ..believe me it is no fun working in an office of French men when the England team can't even qualify... )
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC
Heheh thanks. Well actualy the worst deception was seeing the canopy white. I made an extra last minute effort to make it dark, to look like RLM74!!! Blast!!! I think I'll try some alchohol tricks to remove the ink... :}
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 05:03 AM UTC
..well spotted on the canopy - hadn't noticed that...
if you blow the pic up you can also see the square shape of the battery box behind the pilot's seat - that would be relatively straight forward to reproduce
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hi all!

I have done some work on my PCM 1/32 Spitfire, go have a look and enjoy!

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/120353&page=1

Cheers!

Stefan E
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC
..another from me...
This is 49 FG ace Cpt. Joel B. Paris' P-40 N 'Rusty' seen at its 'jungle' dispersal somewhere in New Quinea sometime during late 1943. The 5th AF's 49FG was the 'pioneer' USAAF FG in the south-west Pacific, being sent to Australia in 1942 to fight in the defence of Darwin. Paris eventually achieved nine vics (Hasegawa 72nd OOB)

LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 02:00 AM UTC
Nice work here everybody.

Yalım: Nice 109. It really look field painted.

Björn: You have filled the trenches well. Were you a Skånian farm hand in an earlier life, perhaps? Nice shine too. See you in the Photographers lair after the holidays.

Neil: Nice Hawk. Nice jungle too. Your own?

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC
All,

I have now decided on my subject, in keeping with my Battle of Britain theme I have got going in other campaigns, it will be the bf109 of Werner Machold of 1./JG2. I have only found one photo of him with the aircraft, or part of it!

The kit I will use is the Tamiya 109E4/7 kit but will use the kit option to turn it into an E3. I have found an Aeromaster decal set which shows him later in the BoB with 7./JG2, so I will have to improvise the markings a bit. From what I have read he flew White 1+~ throughout the Battle of france into BoB, so unless anyone can show me otherwise, this is onw I will go with.

If anyone has any other photo refs of him or his a/c and could post them here I would be very grateful.

Steve
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:45 PM UTC
..Hi Steve,

nice picture but I only know two others of Machold's 1. Staffel Emil ... another view of the same machine presumably after he'd finished painting on the Abschussbalken ...Machold claimed two Bloch 150s shot down on 3 June 1940 for his 9th and 10th victories.

....and this one taken on 14 May 1940 after his first two victories ..you can just make out the Bonzo dog emblem above the exhaust ejector ports...during the Battle of France this machine would have had coloured (white ?) wing tips...
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the relpy, as you said in your PM, pics are a bit thin on the ground. Thats why I secretly hoped you wouls see this post and help me out! I think going with what I know and have evidence for will have to do. One thing though, the mottle on the tail ans fuselage sides look brush applied. I have seen photos from other units and they all seem the same. I am thinking it must have been rather hastily field painted. Any thoughts??

Steve
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing though, the mottle on the tail ans fuselage sides look brush applied. I have seen photos from other units and they all seem the same. I am thinking it must have been rather hastily field painted. Any thoughts??
Steve

..I'd say so ...there are 'before' and 'after' pics of 'White 1' from 1.Staffel during the campaign...I also have a shot of a 'White 5' with mottled finish, with some rudder kill marks over-painted. Not 100% sure on this but possibly Machold's a/c after it was passed on to another pilot.....would be interested to see what your refs/decal sheet say on Machold's machine...
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 09:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All,

I have now decided on my subject, in keeping with my Battle of Britain theme I have got going in other campaigns, it will be the bf109 of Werner Machold of 1./JG2. I have only found one photo of him with the aircraft, or part of it!
From what I have read he flew White 1+~ throughout the Battle of france into BoB, so unless anyone can show me otherwise, this is onw I will go with.

If anyone has any other photo refs of him or his a/c and could post them here I would be very grateful.

Steve

Hi Steve, Nice choice of aircraft and Ace. I have another two photos of him in addition to the photo you already have. I have given the information I have on the photos below each photo. The photos and information are from Kagero's "JG 2 Richthofen 1936-1941" by Janowicz. Hope this helps.

Machold painting his tenth victory, a MB 152 shot down on 3rd June over Reims airfield.

On September 2nd, 1940 Machold shot down three Spitfires and on 4th September a Hurricane. All kills included in this picture. On the 4th September he also received the Knight's Cross.

Machold's "white 1" according to the captions of the photograph from 7./JG 2. There are 26 kill markings on the rudder. Notice the different style of the kill markings compared to the previous pictures.

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Machold's "white 1" according to the captions of the photograph from 7./JG 2. There are 26 kill markings on the rudder. Notice the different style of the kill markings compared to the previous pictures.

...pics of Machold's a/c with III Gruppe from September 1940 are quite well known, however Machold's service with 7. Staffel was 1941...I think Steve was planning a 1.Staffel machine with the dense mottle finish which Machold flew at the end of the French campaign and the early months of the BoB. On 2 September 1940 Machold achieved the three victories he required to bring his score up to twenty Abschüsse - already achieved by seven other German pilots by this stage of the conflict - assuring him of the award of the prized Ritterkreuz as the third member of JG 2 to be so honoured. His next claims were with 9./JG 2 in late September. As far as I'm aware Machold didn't join 7. Staffel until April 1941 being appointed StaKa - photos of 'White 1' with 26 kills date from this period...

I'm wondering if Steve was planning to do 'White 15' - there is a new picture depicting this Emil in Vol II of Erik Mombeeck's JG 2 history which is about to be published (in French only for the moment)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 08:47 PM UTC
Thanks for the clarification on the photos, Neil.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:27 PM UTC
As days go by I finaly photographed my second entry wannabe. The Mighty huge big, gigantic Platz P-47D of Major Glenn T. Eagleston IIIIIN... 1/144 of course. Well here how it looks up to now:

Well... not quiet so. I menaged to strike it down with a Mig-21MF and brake some of the landing gear. I hope I fix it.
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi all,

Neil and Jesper, thanks for the help, I knew if I asked the help would flood in..

First up, most of my refs come from the internet, this is where I first found out about the guy.. here.

I have found several other refs to him on the net as well but this is my basis as it tells a fair bit about him. Early photos are hard to find, lots of his 7. staffel days but no good for me. I did find something in a book from the local library as well, it did mention he flew White through his early days also, so I will still go with that.

Decal set I will use is the Aeromaster, last throes of the Battle of Britain number 2

It shows a 7./JG2 aircraft but has the correct unit codes and marking for the a/c I want to do.

There is also a picture of his a/c on Wings Palette, it shows the correct camo I want to do but states the pictures is of an a/c from 7./JG2 in May 40, but he didn't transfer to 7./JG2 until September 4 1940. It also shows its White 7, but I assume that can very easily be confused with a 1. As I have never seen White 7 associated with him I will assume this is the case. For me, the camo is what I want.

here

The only other, I can't find any post war info on him, does anyone know what happen to him?

Thanks again for all the assistance so far. Decals and seatbelts arrived today, so let the building commence!

Steve

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is also a picture of his a/c on Wings Palette, it shows the correct camo I want to do but states the pictures is of an a/c from 7./JG2 in May 40, but he didn't transfer to 7./JG2 until September 4 1940.It also shows its White 7, but I assume that can very easily be confused with a 1. As I have never seen White 7 associated with him I will assume this is the case. For me, the camo is what I want.

...funny how the more you dig the more errors & inconsistencies you run into - especially on the Net...had the same problem with my Warhawk..research can be really frustrating ...but looking forward to seeing the results ..you're right Steve, correct camo ..& the numbers associated with Machold are '5' '15' & '1' with 7. Staffel in 1941 ..

EDIT

Machold's 1./JG 2 'White 15', 'Bonzo' emblem, eleven kill markings putting this in July/Aug 1940 period.... this pic from Prien's Jagdfliegerverband series Teil 4/I and another pic in the new JG 2 history (Vol 2) due shortly

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi Neil

any Info when the JG 2 book(s) will be available in English? What about JG 5 Vol.3 ... any chance it will see light .. .ah, and fyi Vol.10/2 is just out ... sadly to expensive for me at the moment

cheers

Steffen

P.S. JG 300 vol.2 did not arrive yet. I got the Engau book with me and will send it soon ...
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

..JG 2 Vol I (English) hopefully before the end of the year - being laid out as we speak ...Vol II translation not started yet - don't wait for it ..grab a copy of Vol II asap as the photo selection is superb....no info on JG 5 Vol III I'm afraid .. ..and JG300 is on its way ..
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:36 PM UTC
I'm back again. Since my latest quick project happens to be also an aces aircraft, then i figure why not also put it into thios campaign as well? Plus, you can never have enough Bf109's.

I'm doing the Bf109E-3 of Romanian ace Tiberiu Vinca. Vinca met an unlucky end when he was shot at by a German Heinkel 111 gunner and he was KIA in the resulting crash.

Romanian 109's are very yellow, not just yellow theater marking like usual, but the national markings as well. I started last night and already have all the sub-assemblies together and primed ready for interior painting. The Hasegawa kits are older than the Tamiya ones, but i still like them. Interior is not as detailed as newer stuff (like the CA kits), but the exterior has excellent surface detailing that still stands up to anything released recently. I just hope the decals work out ok, i've never liked Hasegawa decals much.

Andrew
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:12 PM UTC
Interesting build, Andrew. Looks very yellow indeed.

Do you have pictures for this aircraft. Otherwise I think I can dig out some pictures somewhere.

Looking forward to see more