Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official "Aces High" Campaign Thread
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:24 PM UTC
No problem Jean.

It gives me great pleasure to declare Aces High officially active!

Nige
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It gives me great pleasure to declare Aces High officially active!

No joke, right! (It being April 1st and all ) I finished my Gripen two days ago, and I have had nothing to do for a whole day!

I'm truly looking forward this build, and for once I'm not going to start my entry in the last weeks of the campaign. Here's what's on the table!

One 1/72 kit, no aftermarket stuff, and a full bottle of Alclad II Polished Aluminium. Let it shine, boys! I'm aiming for Israel Baharav's #59 Mirage IIICJ in mid-July 1970, shortly after his fifth double MIG-21 kill (number ten and eleven). 10 roundels (corrected to 11 when the aircraft was painted in camouflage colors only days later) - Btw, am I the only one building a jet for this campaign?

I'm looking for good colour reference pics of the seat and the cockpit of the Israeli Mirage III. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find such pics?

Good luck with the campaign, Nige!

Cheers! // PolarBear
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel, previously you accepted that I use a started La-7 for this campaign.
Please disregard it and consider the La-5FN as my official entry

Hi Jean!

I will do the La-7 then.

It will be Kozhedub's aircraft...

It will be build out of the Gavia 1/48 kit.

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 04:32 AM UTC
Welcome to the campaign Jean-Luc.
You joining takes it up to 40 enlisted potential Aces...
I've almost decided what my build is going to be. Just got to get the Twin SpinnersP38 done and then I can start on it.
Nige
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC
It's on!

I too, still have my twin spinners entry to finish before diving into this campaign. Probably a good thing because I haven't quite decided what to build. The only thing certain is that most likely it'll be a Finnish plane.
steve-o
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC

Hello! I'm wondering if Lothar von Richtofens Dr.1 Triplane would be ok. I think he only shot down 3 planes in the DR.1 but was an ace long before flying that plane. I don't think he had any kill markings on it either.

- Steve

Jean-luc and Bjorn - your galleries look great! Can't wait to see what your finnished product is for this one!
japes21
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
I'm new here but have been modelling aircraft for years. I would like to join this campaign with Josef Priller's Fw190A-8 from JG26. I am looking forward to participating and seeing others work here.

Joe

**** Please note that I have changed my entry!!!******
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello! I'm wondering if Lothar von Richtofens Dr.1 Triplane would be ok. I think he only shot down 3 planes in the DR.1 but was an ace long before flying that plane. I don't think he had any kill markings on it either.

- Steve

Hi Steve. Your entry would fall into the "ace who didnt display kill markings" I believe, and is therefore eligible. Looking forward to see it come together.

Quoted Text

I'm new here but have been modelling aircraft for years. I would like to join this campaign with Anton Hackl's Fw190A-6 from III/JG11. I am looking forward to participating and seeing others work here.

Joe

Hi Joe.
Welcome to Aces High.

Dont forget to enlist on the official campiagn page guys.
ACES HIGH

Whos going to be the first with "in progress" shots?
Feel free to post photos either here or in seperate build threads everyone.

Nige
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 09:11 AM UTC
I'm in! I need something simple to build after the last few month's short runs and complicated projects:

I'll either use the kit's decals (Hans Philipp, 206 victories) or some from the Aeromaster Luftwaffe Top Guns, I haven't decided which yet.

I will start this one after the weekend, I'm leaving for a short skiing holiday now!

Regards

Magnus
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:17 PM UTC
Well, I don't think I'll make a thread for this, but I will keep updating it. I'll be building the Hasegawa F4U-4 Corsair in Ken Walsh's markings with his 21 kills. Here's the kit, I am not sure how old it is, but the only thing so far that I don't like is the raised panel lines. I guess it won't be too big of a deal since It'll be hard to make a visible wash on the glossy dark sea blue.

As for a progress shot, I have the cockpit pieces removed, does that count?

Almost forgot, the markings are Aeromaster's "Mid Life Corsairs"
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:30 PM UTC
This will be my kit for this campaign, and yes i will be doing both kits in the Dual Combo side by side.

The first aircraft will be the well known black and white striped early Fokker built aircraft of Bruno Loerzer- 44 kills.
The other will be the lesser modelled aircraft of Karl Bolle who was credited in the end with 34 victories- although that varies up or down by one or two depending on what source you read. Will be doing his last aircraft- Fokker DVIIF, black with yellow and white stripes.

So good thing i got practice with masking stripes on my recent Swiss Bf109. Will be using the kit lozenge decals- even though i know they are slightly innacurate. Should get started within the next week or so.

Andrew
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hey all. I'm back. Just finished my twin Spinner campaign, and have two more campaigns half done in the workshop. But I decided to start my build for this one. I am building Ding Hao. It is the new 1/32 scale Trumpeter P-51B mustang. Almost got the engine done today. Maybe some pics in the next day or two.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:10 PM UTC
Hi guys. Can I play too can I play too please please!!!!
I think I'll go slightly on the lame side. I'll do Hartmann's G-14 in winter camo if you don't mind. Academy 1/72 nearly OOB. Ok I must admitt I already started it. I may even add some more planes later on, I want to do at least one of Juutilainen's aircrafts (probably the MT-222, if I am mistaking please hit me in the head). Kozhedub's La7 was also one of my choises but Jean-Luc seems to be faster than me. Just like Litvyak's Yak. Anyways. See you soon guys, and have fun.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'll go slightly on the lame side. I'll do Hartmann's G-14 in winter camo if you don't mind. Academy 1/72 nearly OOB.

Hi Yalım!

Please, come and play with us!

So you are going for a BIG scale kit this time?

Cheers!

Stefan E
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'll go slightly on the lame side. I'll do Hartmann's G-14 in winter camo if you don't mind. Academy 1/72 nearly OOB. Ok I must admitt I already started it. I may even add some more planes later on, I want to do at least one of Juutilainen's aircrafts (probably the MT-222, if I am mistaking please hit me in the head). Kozhedub's La7 was also one of my choises but Jean-Luc seems to be faster than me. Just like Litvyak's Yak. Anyways. See you soon guys, and have fun.

Welcome to Aces High,,and a slapped wrist for having already started, but as long as youve only done a little bit I'll allow it.
You will however, have to enlist to qualify for a ribbon, and dont forget you'll need to supply a photo of the real aircraft.
Jean-Luc,,you havent enlisted yet either
Nige
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 05:42 PM UTC
So here is the progress I made last night on my Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I.

I used the Eduard pre-colored detail set, which was the first I used that. I am quite pleased with the result, though their interior green is more than a little suspect. I decided to leave it because it does jazz up the cockpit a bit by adding color interest. Since this is a piece for a non-modeling spitfire fan's birthday present (he's English - go figure!), I figured I'd let it ride.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:13 PM UTC
Thats a helluva nights work Vance!
If you keep up at this rate you'll be easily finished for yoru friends birthday.
A heads up,,I know from people who have built this kits that you'll probably have to add a spreader to the fusalage to ensure a good fit at the wing root.
Check out Mal Mayfields
ONLINE TAMIYA SPITFIRE BUILD
Nige
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 07:45 PM UTC
Looks great, Vance. A nice start - seems like you will easily be the first one over the finish line for this campaign

Looking forward to see more
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
AOUUCH!! That hurt!! My wrists are fragile:} Don't worry I haven't done much on it yet. Just assambled and painted, no decals:P Kidding. But photo may be a probelm. I couldn't find any photoes of the bird yet.
Stefan, yes in deed I am building a HUGE one this time but don't push me I have enough TRUE scale 109s:] Hmm, no I changed my mind, please do push me, I may add a normal scale ace plane either. :]
Nice looking Spitfire(or rather "SHPIT FEUER!!") cockpit by the way.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments on the spitfire cockpit.

work got in the way of modeling yesterday though (at least I'll get plenty of overtime this week). All I managed was the pictures and doing enough research to think about maybe doing Sir Douglas Bader's Mk II (with his initials instead of squadron code).

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC
Ok, mine got the paint, winterwash and the deals, which particularly was a utter nightmare. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them here....oh I forgot to enlist,,yayks!!!
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 03:39 PM UTC
I managed to get about 4 hours in on the spitfire today before and after work. She is coming together much faster than I anticipated.

Thanks for the heads up on the wing roots Nigel - they were a bit fussy.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC
Yeeeeha. Seems like I better build a West Front ace plane after this one to face you:}
Anyways back to the subject. Here is mine up till now. I did some minor "fiddling" on the cockpit, let's start with it.

And the rest:

I have huge probelms with the decals. If you have this kit, just throw away the decal sheet completely and get an aftermarket set. I uterly screwed up in the tulip. I'll try to redo it.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 04:29 AM UTC
well, the tulip decals look fine from the pictures, so I don't think you messed them up too badly!

looks like you may beat me to the "first finished" title.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have huge problems with the decals. If you have this kit, just throw away the decal sheet completely and get an aftermarket set. I utterly screwed up in the tulip. I'll try to redo it.

Let me guess, they're stiff, they like to silver, and they don't seem to react to setting solutions?
I've had similar experiences with Academy's decals, and though they usually behave themselves when applied on a glass-smooth gloss surface and nailed down with micro-sol (I wonder if solvaset would perform better with them, as it supposedly stronger stuff?)

It's the tulip decals that go over the exhaust shrouds? That would be tricky even with normal decal, let alone Academy's.

Did you add any other details to the cockpit? Those seatbelts look fine. Masking tape with buckles made from copper wire, I presume?
That worn white-washed finish looks awesome. Nothing to complain. Don't forget the exhaust stains.
What paint did you use on the wheel wells and landing gear? Looks quite greenish to me for RLM02.

I've built that same kit, but with Finnish markings. Was that decal choice you're doing Hartman's mount?
Now I've got another Academy 109 in my stash, the G6, which would make a nice entry. So many kits, difficult to choose...

Another 1:72 Bf-109 in my stash is AML's K4 . I'm not sure on the marking choices, if they're flown by aces. I've got to do some researching.