Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
I Feel the Need for Speed
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Submitted. "Speed" Campaign, 12/1/08-6/1/08. Rules were submitted as agreed to in this forum.
It also looks like this won't be a Willy M campaign,except for Jesper.

Great, Carl. Thanks for the good initiative.

I might come up with a 109, but then it will be as a second build - or maybe not at all. Now I am both tempted by the F-86, F-100, and the F-105. Though decision....
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 09:46 AM UTC
I have a F-86. Was it a record holder?

I checked my stash and now realize, I am short on really, really fast airplanes. I still plan on doing the Hornet though.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 02:29 AM UTC
Yes, the F-86A Sabre had the record until 1953 when beaten by the Hawker Hunter F3.

CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
Good work, now all you lads jump over to the Speed Campaign Page and click on the "enlist" button.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2008 - 06:40 PM UTC
Thanks, Chuck. I have enlisted for speed all the way through the barrier

Here are the banners for this campaign.

Remember to paste the link to the sign up page into the field "your link" when you add the banner to your profile. This way people can sign up just by cliking on your banner. The link to the sign up page is below:

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=281

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/needforspeedbanner1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/needforspeedbanner2.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/needforspeedbanner3.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/needforspeedbanner4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a347/ravenwing1/needforspeedbanner5.jpg
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 09:24 AM UTC
Those look great Jesper.

I did some research also. The F-86 could also break the sound barrier. My information is that it would need to dive about 5000 feet at full throttle, then boom, transonic.

I am going to switch my planned build from the Hornet to the Mongol-B. It is the trumpeter kit in 1/32, with a Verlinden Cockpit Upgrade. The Czech Airforce Stress Team paint scheme on the box art got me. It ought to be interesting, and fun.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 01:37 PM UTC
I guess the decals on the Mongol are off a bit. I will special order some more accurate ones. But going through my stash, I came across two beautiful F-104s. I really love the looks of these guys. I can remember when I was stationed in Germany, seeing a pair of these fly overhead. Wow. I think I might do one of these instead. So many fast planes, so little time.

Only six people enlisted. The campaign hasn't shown up on the campaign page yet. I can only get it by clicking the link in CRS's post up above. I hate it when that happens.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But going through my stash, I came across two beautiful F-104s. I really love the looks of these guys. I can remember when I was stationed in Germany, seeing a pair of these fly overhead. Wow. I think I might do one of these instead. So many fast planes, so little time.

I remember seeing these overhead as well in Denmark when I was a little kit. They looked stunning. Although they are not my favorite type of aircraft, they have the ultimate "look" of a fast jet! A rocket with very thin nd small wings

Quoted Text

Only six people enlisted. The campaign hasn't shown up on the campaign page yet. I can only get it by clicking the link in CRS's post up above. I hate it when that happens.

It will only show up after 10 persons have enlisted - only then is it official. Therefore it is important that everybody that said they wanted to enlist do so by using the link or by clicking my banner.
Carl, maybe you should also change your banner and add the link to your profile? Then people can join also by clicking your banner. You can always change back to your normal banner later.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 05:30 AM UTC
I will sign up as soon as I can find something to sign on.
i'll probably build a hunter could Hasagawa BAe Lightning F6. unless I see something else before the start date ie I believe the Hunter could go supersonic in a dive.....
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 09:51 AM UTC
Andrew, click on Jesper's banner. It will get you to the sign up page.
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hmmm, I'm on holidays in Denmark, so I don't have any references around, but there are two sayings (true or not) about the SAAB 37 Viggen.

1: One pilot of a Viggen once locked a missile on a SR 71 Blackbird. (Which resulted in a cake, or congrat, from US strategic recon)
2: The Viggen has never top-speeded. There were never enough fuel carrying capacity to find out how fast she could fly.)

She did well over Mach 2, but will she be accepted if no top speed is recorded? My friend has one to build with his son, so I send the question for him.

(Yes, the J 35 Draken is far out cooler, but the 37 is a beast)
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Viggen has never top-speeded. There were never enough fuel carrying capacity to find out how fast she could fly.)

She did well over Mach 2, but will she be accepted if no top speed is recorded? My friend has one to build with his son, so I send the question for him.

If it flew past mach 1 then it is OK for this campaign. So yes, you or your friend can enter a Viggen.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I will sign up as soon as I can find something to sign on.
i'll probably build a hunter could Hasagawa BAe Lightning F6. unless I see something else before the start date ie I believe the Hunter could go supersonic in a dive.....

Well, it has to be "real" supersonic to qualify ie. level flight, BUT the hunter did possess the world air record at some point, so the Hawker Hunter would work fine for this campaign. The Lightning could push well beyond mach 2 so this would also qualify.

So in short both your builds qualify.

Please also notice you do not have to decide what to build when you sign up. You just need to decide to build something that qualifies.
You can change your mind about what to build during the campaign as well. This happens often in campaigns - I have change my mind several times in past campaigns
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi all!

I have finally enlisted!

I forgot that little bit until someone poked me with the stick (Thanks Jesper!)!

Seems like we are picking up speed for this campaign now, but we still need three more brave pilots.

Tony, do you know the markings on the SR-71 "caught" by the Viggen?
I believe the J37 came from F21 Luleå, right?

Would be cool to do the pair, don´t you think!

Otherwise I`ll do the "Ichi Ban", which flew many missons over Vietnam.

Cheers!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!
Tony, do you know the markings on the SR-71 "caught" by the Viggen?
I believe the J37 came from F21 Luleå, right?

Would be cool to do the pair, don´t you think!

Cheers!

Stefan E

That could be really cool! Especially if the Viggen is in Splinter camouflage
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
I am currently waffeling between doing one of two kits in my stash for this campaign - the Bell X-1 or the North America X-15 (both 1/48th scale).

I am slightly hessitant about the X-1, only because I also have a 1/48 B-29 that I intended to build as it's mothership, and the B-29 is a serious commitment...

I guess I don't have to build them together, though I had sort of wanted to.

I don't have any such illusions of doing the X-15 in this manner (could you imagine a 1/48 B-52?!?!),

oh man... I didn't really just suggest that to myself, did I???
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hmmm. I haven't got much info on this yet, but the thing happened before mid-eighties, when another friend did his basic airforce duty as radar interceptor in a hole in the ground south of Stockholm. He heard the story then, among other things considering waste of tax money . I think the Viggens used to be NMF at the time, but I'll have to check deeper.

It might even be the case that the project leader of the recovery mission of a Swedish intel DC-3, shot down in the Baltics 1953, is the guy who did the lock-on, but I can't confirm that until I'm home from the holidays.
Greenhornet2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 04:33 AM UTC
Um i would like to join the campaign but after my local hobby shop went out of business I'm pretty limited on my stash. Iv got a lot of helos,prop aircraft but only 1 jet the a-10 warthog. my mom bought that one for me and if i don't build it someday soon shes gonna be ticked.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 07:57 AM UTC
Well, the A-10 did not segt any speed records and is below mach 1, so that will not qualify. However, a lot of propeller aircraft would qualify including the Bf 109. Maybe there is one of those in the stash?

Otherwise check THIS LISTfrom Wikipedia. Anything here would qualify and some extra aircraft that are not there, as I do not believe the list is complete.

Hope to see you in the campaign
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
Thanks Carl, that did the trick, 8 down 2 to go
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:40 AM UTC
I did change my mind for the battle for Europe Campaign. It might make an interesting model to do one of Mike Beachyhead's aircraft at Thunder City. I Keep seeing the Revell 1/32 Hunter but don't know whether the kit is any good. (also just read Neville Duke's autobiography)
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
This is moving along. Remember, this campaign emphasizes the need to go faster.

The list Jesper brought up is good, but somewhere I saw a real good one. The speed records often changed monthly, or even weekly. So, if you can doucument a source showing an aircraft held a speed record, even for 5 minutes, it will be eligible. Same thing goes for trans-sonic. If you can doucument a source showing an aircraft went sonic, (even in a dive) it will be eligible.

Speed all,
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I Keep seeing the Revell 1/32 Hunter but don't know whether the kit is any good. (also just read Neville Duke's autobiography)

I build this kit some time ago. It is a very good kit - except the decals. I might just be unlucky, but my decals were 0.5 mm out of register. It does not sound like much but you really notice when all markings have a thin white "shadow". I shelved it. So my recommendation is to go for after market decals or test a decal from one of the versions you are not building to see if the same is the case with your kit.
CrewChief16
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Khania, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hello,i am new in the forum.....i dont know if i have to write it here but a 1/72 concorde can be placed in this canpaign or is just for military????thanx anyway cheers!!!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2008 - 01:55 PM UTC
YES

It is a speed campaign, not just a military aircraft campaign. The Concord has the speed record for passenger aircraft. So it would be a welcome build. Besides, I would really like to see that speed demon in the campaign.

Welcome to Aeroscale.