Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
I Feel the Need for Speed
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
still can't decide between my X-1 and X-15...

guess i have other kits to finish first though anyway.
CrewChief16
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Khania, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 07:13 AM UTC
It is simple....both
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 08:00 AM UTC
Well I'm in on this campaign, the build will be a Hawker Hunter just not sure yet which of the three in the stash to build. Either an old Novo F.1, an Airfix FGA.9 or the 'hi-tech' (compared to the others) Revell F.6 all 1/72.
I'm tempted by the Novo but it is very basic, no cockpit or wheel wells

Luciano
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 04:34 PM UTC
Well, I've opened my kits box. Looked the PE and resin pieces over, and now it's time for bed.
Maybe tomorrow I'll get motivated to do more.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 09:31 PM UTC
I got as bit further, painted a few bits, played about with the PE went to bed, I think I'm frightened of it ...PE, NMF, how much more could I pile on.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:15 AM UTC
A shot of the resin and PE cockpit of my D-558-1 Skystreak. Still need to touch up a few spots of paint here and there and add the wash. The cockpit seat was plain flat plastic and looked bland. I had seen others on Aeroscale use tissue paper and glue to add texture and realizm to seats before so I decided to try this on mine. I must have done something wrong however since my seat now looks like flat plastic that has tissue paper glued onto it

On a brighter note, once the canopy is on absolutely none of this will be seen whatsoever.

Will start cleaning up the fuselage and wings tonight and maybe start some construction after church tomorrow.

Hermon
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
Good progress.

I am stalled untill after the weekend due to the scourge of modeling progress in my home (Football).
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 01:24 PM UTC
I've started on the F-104G. All the sub assemblies are already done. Just waiting for some of the interior bits to dry, touchups and the fuselage halves will be going together.

I'll be going back to my automotive ways for this build and using Tamiya TS sprays through the airbrush to do the special scheme. Not much weathering, straight from the paint shop job.

The Hasegawa kit fits together perfectly so far. This is one of those Hasegawa rare kits that has no inserts to misfit, and benefits from that fact! Revell made a good choice to select this one for their own box i think. My only critism is that it could contain some ordnance, but i suppose they want you to buy the aftermarket weapons kits for that. And also the cockpit is a bit underdone by todays standards...could really benefit from resin. But you can't display the canopy open on a Starfighter anyway, can you? It destroys the perfect lines of a unique aircraft...

Andrew
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
Just to prove how easily this kit goes together this is the progress since the time i posted yesterday to now...just one day. Though i already had the subassemblies already done and just waiting to go together.

The only problem was fitting the fuselage halves together, there are quite a few things that need to line up at once and i had to play around with it a bit. Just a small amount of filler for the infill panel infront of the main landing gear bay, then it will be time to primer. But that won't be happening for a least 4 days as i won't be home.

The wing tip tanks a just pushed on at the moment so that they can be removed for painting.

Andrew
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 01:14 PM UTC
Andrew, great job on the 104 so far. Can't wait to see her with paint.

A bit more progress on my Skystreak. The bottom side of the fuselage went together perfectly. The top however won't go together at all. It would seem that the resin cockpit is a bit too wide. I dry fitted everything and all was well, a bit tight but managable. Now though I have a 2mm gap from behind the cockpit to the nose. Luckily another member here HawkeyeV has a thread titled "Reading the Seams" and I was able to try a new (to me) technique by adding thin strips of styrene and building up the gap. I should be able to close up this gap by glueing and clamping now. After some filler and sanding all should be well in the world.
Thanks to HawkeyeV for his great thread showing dunces like me how to solve these pesky problems.

Should have the fuselage and wings together, sanded, and everything rescribed by next weekend and ready for some shiny red paing.

Hermon
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:31 PM UTC
Next year is (hopefully) going to be a Saab J 29 Tunnan year for me! Tunnan held a couple of speed records back in the days, so one of them will be built for this campaign.

I have a whole stash of kits just waiting to be built. Below, you'll find the Neomega, the FE-resin, the IPMS Austria and the Heller/Airfix Tunnans. Now, which one...

I've finally laid my hands on the Neomega kit in 1/48. I bought it second hand, so it was almost half the cost of retail price. Even if 1/72 is my real scale, I just might choose the 1/48 for this campaign. I promise Tony that I'll do the best that I can. One funny thing about the Neomega kit - I bought the J 29 and the new J 35 from the same guy. A big pachage arrived. First I thought that the seller had forgotten to send the Tunnan, but then I looked inside the gigantic Draken box and there it was!!! The Neomega box is 1/12 the size of Hasegawas Draken! Well done, Neomega!

The kit detail looks amazing, even though some rather crucial parts are missing (seat belts, drop tanks etc)! There is also a strange seam in the middle of the fuselage. Hmmm?

The decals are not that great I'll have to figure out how to find some replacement.

Anyhow, this will be a joy to build! Who knows, I might enter a couple of Tunnans...

That is a great start on the Starfighter, Andrew. I love the early jets, and hopefully we'll see a couple of high speed interceptors in this campaign!

Cheers! // PolarBear
LongKnife
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jönköping, Sweden
KitMaker: 831 posts
AeroScale: 688 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:39 AM UTC
Go with the biggie Björn. It can be done in any shade of NMF from the Israeli Mirage you just finished, to the standing-outside-the-airforce-museum-for-a-quarter-century.

Frankly I just can't say which would be my choice if the time comes for Hasegawa to make an injected version. C'mon Hasegawa - Give us a Tunnan to place on Drakens left side (and a Lansen for the right - Pretty please!).
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:42 PM UTC
Wow! Lots of progress in this tread!

Andrew, your build is really moving ahead full speed - dare I say with the need for speed
The cockpit looks really good. I am looking forward to see that stricking scheme on it.

Hermon, not the nicest fit in the world with the resin cocokpit, but it should not be visible after some sanding and painting.

Bjoern, looking forward to see you get started on your flying beer can. Incredible it got everything into such a small box - or maybe Hasegawa just wants some shelf space for their Draken
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 09:34 AM UTC
How do we get that ribbon we all liked posted to the campaign page?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:17 PM UTC
Dunno how to transfer the ribbon Carl. I'm still looking for someone to show me how to make a banner that doesn't look like it's soaked in Vodka!

Hermon

ps. I have fixed the gap in my Skyrocket fuselage and hope to have time to snap a pic soon. Only took 8lbs. of putty and Zap a Gap to fix that sucker.
Silantra
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 04:21 PM UTC
Now i'm in the process of makign my new spray booth.
Most major stuff are gathered
Just got a new 165 CFM fan...
and last week i bought some wood and plywoods, and went to garbage disposal site for some glass and acrylics sheets.... hehehe.. have to be economical this time... bought soem electrical stuff for the light and wiring ...

must get it done this weekend

on paper, i had ptu a few design according to ACGIH and following ANSI standard as well..not the material but the efficiency of the suction....

hope i got all the time....
Removed by original poster on 12/11/08 - 04:27:34 (GMT).
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 04:06 PM UTC
More progress on my Skystreak. Major assembly is done and the base coat is done. So far it's a beautiful kit except for the canopy which seems to be way too small for the cockpit opening. I'll have to put in a few hours to fix this.

Should be all buttoned up in a couple weeks.
Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:25 AM UTC
Red paint is on (two coats). Soon as it's dry she'll be ready for decals. Waiting on some USAF ground personel to arive from Sprue Brothers so I can put together a little dio. Wish me luck!

Hermon
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 06:22 PM UTC
Finally back to the F104. The yellow is on, Tamiya TS47 Chrome Yellow. Other yellows looked too "Lemon" or to red (like Camel Yellow for example). Most of what is yellow will be masked and sprayed over in the next step with the red. Black last of all.

Andrew
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 08:01 PM UTC
That looks FAST! Change of pace then. Freed the plastic and dry fitted. resribed some bits and bobs but will need a jig for fitting the floats.
dry fitting MC72
dry fitting MC72

Got a photo of the interior too. So the first real work will be to remove the seat and scratchbuild the interior. I really should build a tamiya kit someday instead of these old kits. This is an ARTIPLAST remould in 1:50 from 1960 pretty darn good for near 50 years old.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 09:51 AM UTC
My first Saab J 29 Tunnan is finished! It held a couple of speed records in the late 50's.

This is a tiny model (FE-Resin 1/144) that I wanted to finish before the holidays! This ornament will fit nicely on the mantle, don't you think!?

More on the snow globe Tunnan here.
I hope to make more J 29's in 2009! Both 1/72 and 1/48!

Cheers! // PolarBear
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 10:39 AM UTC
Excellent builds everybody.

I will have my F-104 done by tomorrow. I was in a powerbuild mode, so I was not taking any pictures. But I did finish one complete build and finished another build for another campaign while I was in the zone.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
My Skystreak wearing new red paint. Next is undercarriage, decals and clear coat.
Andrew, I love that color on your 104! That one is really going to stand out.
JP, yours has to be one of my favorite entries so far. Looking forward to seeing her in paint.

Almost there!
Hermon
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 08:03 PM UTC
He he, Bjoern, good idea with the snow globe. Looks Christmas realistic in a sort of holiday season way....

Hermon, that Skystreak looks stunning in that gloss red scheme. Looking forward to see more.

I will start my SU-7BKL soon. I bought all the AM products I could find for it - which is more than one would expect. I looked over the instructions yesterday and it seems like it will end up being more resin and PE than Plastic. A completely pimped up SU-7
More to follow....