General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What the postman brought today ....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Well, one reason I seldom get a chance to finish anything is because almost all my available free time is spent in-box reviewing, so it'll be nice to bypass that stage for a change and go straight for a build.

I'm looking forward to comparing the kit directly with the original version. I can see some changes immediately, but it'll only be when I can put the two kits side by side that I'll be able to tell how interchangeable (if at all) the new parts are with the old.

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC
What the postman bought to my mums today, but I wont see it for another 3 weeks.

Nige
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We have changed the big details - a fuselage, wings, a tail. The usual person may not notice at all these changes, but now the model is more similar to the original. There are no changes in small details - devices, wheels...

Hi again Steffen

Ruslan's not joking. There are some obvious changes, such as a much broader span horizontal tail, with separate elevators this time, but the more subtle differences permeate the whole airframe. The wing centre-section has a different profile, with a narrower centre "trough". This, in turn leads to a different shaped radiator bath. On top of the nose, the air intake is redesigned and, at the sides, the exhaust fairings are slightly different.

I'm sure there are further differences but, basically, Ruslan has reworked the kit from nose to tail! Test-fitting the new kit, the casting and fit is even better than the original. Quite amazing for a kit that already had everyone drooling and a credit to his modeller's spirit that he could couldn't leave things alone when he spotted that he could improve upon them.

He's displayed a similar attitude with the forthcoming Focke-Wulf Fw 159:

Quoted Text

"Hi Rowan!

I was close to finish Fw 159 when i realised that i had made a mistake in the drawings and it will be next to impossible to improve it on almost finished fuselage ((((( So i started fuselage from the very beginning but had to stopped..."

I hate to think how minor the "mistake" he found was - I'm sure 99.9% of us would have been delighted with the kit! As it is, we'll all have to wait a bit longer. I think we can rest assured it'll be worth the wait!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi Rowan

well, I am not so curious about the Fw 159. But it seems I will have to try to get the new He 112 V-6 kit.

Sadly the He 70 and Hs 126 did not progress. I know there will be plastic models, but Ruslan was sure that his kits still would be much better ... but maybe it is just a too large investment to become 2nd. So I hope ICM will issue the Hs 126 kit soon as I have a nice diorama idea

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC
hah .. the BIG Kahuna is looking into the upload problem.

As a test I posted the pic what I of what got on Monday .. not exactly aircraft but the Sd.Kfz. 222 will be part of my Hs 126 Dio.

Seems everything back to normal now. Great and fast job by the Boss!

Here is the rest of my weekend haul. Many thanks to Jean-Luc for the 30ies racer conversions and the Bf 109 booklet!!!

I still have some food reserves, but I will have to enjoy abrosia starting soon (there is no "M" in the word)

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 11:26 PM UTC
Me again

now you know why i got broke this month .. last week I "won" a 5€ gif coupon from paypal ... to be used over the weekend .. so I acted immediately and bought this on ebay

which I got today.

cheers

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
Wow Steffen , that's a awesome haul !
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi there

It certainly looks like everyone's doing their best to ignore all the bad economic news!

My latest parcel from Model Hobbies arrived with a nice little haul:

ICM's 1/48 scale Lagg-3 and Sd.Kfz.222
and (look away now Steffen!) 21st Century Toys' 1/32 scale Ju 87B.

The only fly in the ointment is that the Lagg-3 is lacking it's decal sheet. It doesn't worry me particularly (and at least it gets me off the hook reviewing it! ), because I was planning a different scheme anyway, but anyone buying the kit from their LHS might want to check that it's not a general packing problem with the current batch.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi Terri and Rowan

I am happy about my buys .. hungry but happy

Well, being out of money on the 6th of a month doesn't speak for a healthy economy, does it? (alt least not on my behalf) ... and Marc Toillié is trying to convince me to visit next Sundays show at Mannheim (just 70km north) .. there is no danger as I have no money left .. but then there is also not much fun if you cannot buy anything

As for the Toys .. I am no fan of those (no scale models IMO .. big holes for screws and the like) and if you are buying for the kiddies or fire crackers it does not bother me

AML is doing nice decals for the LaGG ... I like the Galchenko machine from the kit (black cat) but Mironows White 78 is even cooler: (from Massimo Tessitories site Lavochkin LaGG-3

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

I'd like to have a crack at one of the regional schemes that Erik Pilawskii illustrates in his book - AII Light Brown and AII Black or AII Brown topsides. So far I haven't found any photos of specific examples, so I may have to go for a speculative rendition. I've certainly got enough spare VVS insignia to cobble something together.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

suum cuique

Bit by bit the things I bought (and paid) over the last months are delivered .. today I got this nice looking book:

i also got this some days ago

cheers

Steffen

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan

suum cuique...

cheers

Steffen

Hi Steffen

Looking closer at the diagrams in Erik's book, I'll have to convert the kit to a mid-production a/c (of course, by the time I get 'round to it, ICM will release that version OOB! ). Test fitting the model last night, it's clear a fair bit of filler will be needed at the wing roots - the chord of the wing panels doesn't match the fuselage well at all.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Well, I would first build in the cockpit .. maybe you need a spreader just behind the pit .. that should make it less pronounced.

BTW I have a LaGG-3 type 29 from Vector (super resin kit!) ... still have to find a suitable HSU .... but the kit was a real bargain .. 30 Euro and it includes Vector FAB-100, FAB-50, FAB-50 SHG, Rockets and 4 Shkas MG ... but sadly no Hero markings .. when you stumble upon such, please let me know!

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rowan

Well, I would first build in the cockpit .. maybe you need a spreader just behind the pit .. that should make it less pronounced...

cheers

Steffen

Hi Steffen

That's true on the gaps (just careful cementing should also take care of things), but it won't help with the chord. I'm surprised to see quite such a discrepancy. On the other hand, some of the other details in the kit are really rather nice. But I must stop going on about it, or I'll end up doing a review - which, for once, is not my intention!

That's a nice price on the Vector kit! I often thought of buying one, but with so many styrene versions sat in my stash now, I doubt that I ever will. I'll keep an eye open for marking, but you're much sharper than me at that sort of thing.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi Rowan

Surely true .. but I have learned often only the glue tells the whole story .. be it for better or worse.

Maybe the wheel well will curve the wing more and it fits a little better or this is a dog of a kit and only die hard VVS SSSR fans will ever bring it together ... see above

cheers

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 01:37 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here's what I've got from the postwomen this morning...

The Royal Class Hellcat boxing courtesy of Eduard and Rowan! Thanks a lot to both of you!

And to stay in the VVS mood, the new comic book of Romain Hugault...

It's the "Deluxe" version with a making-of DVD, alternative cover and additional artwork inside. Below is an example of the "bonuses" you get inside...

I haven't read it yet so I can't tell you much about the story. But if you want to read and see more about Romain Hugault, make sure to visit his website:romain-hugault.blogspot.com.

He is also a very talented modeler and works for Wing Masters...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 04:51 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

very nice buys!!

The book looks really nice! I prefer Manga for the stories (plus it is like watching a movie on paper) .. and I have a few Dany comics

I probably would have collected all pilot comics too, but I only have access since 1990 and I preferred buying modelling and aircraft mags and books then. ...

cheers

Steffen
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 09:39 AM UTC
Where can these be found I think my brother would love them.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Where can these be found I think my brother would love them.

Hi Kelly,

I suppose for the aircraft, not for the girls...

The comics can be ordered at the editor's website: http://www.shopaquet.com/. I've already made several orders there and it's safe.

The above comic isn't listed yet because it will be released on october 15th. The buyer of the Deluxe Edition obviously got them earlier. Another interesting comic will be released next wednesday: Ciel en Ruine

I will buy it at my local book shop next week...

Jean-Luc
calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
AeroScale: 332 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 10:38 AM UTC
That's right course he also gets playboy for the articles too. and I have never bought that line either. but this could be a good christmas gift. Yes that time is coming soon
Thanks for the info.
Kelly
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Oh, oh my.
I did it again. Another kit to the stash. (or should I say on top of the pile...?)

Something quite completely different for me. Not only it's a jet, but it's in 1:48 scale as well. Being such a small plane it won't be taking that much shelf space. (which is the main reason I've been staying away from 1:32 scale with prop aircraftw)

I'm pretty sure I saw this Hawk being on a list of upcoming releases from Italeri, but it came pretty much out of the blue at least for me. I walked in my favorite LHS and there was brand new Hawk kit. I came back the next day to get one for myself.
In the box it looks very promising, clean mouldings and quite nice detailing. No central seams on canopy parts etc. It even came with a small PE fret carrying seatbelts, rearview mirrors, cockpit side consoles and instrument panels.
Perhaps the only negative thing I could think of after such quick glance, would be decals. Being from Cartograph, the quality should be second to none, but it's the marking options. Not a single Finnish option on the sheet.
I'll be playing the waiting game and hoping some manufacturer would make some FAF decals for it. And while we're at it, some aftermarket accessories wouldn't hurt either...
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 11:36 PM UTC
Jean-Luc, those comics look fantastic. Love the artwork in them, he is a VERY talented artist.

Just wish my French was good enough to warrant buying them!

Finally I have something new:

I will not be using the kit decals even though the subject is very nice. I have had some owl items in my stash for a while just waiting for an A-6 190 to come out. I shall save these for the Butcher bird campaign next year.

I also have the resin dazzle shades and the aerials to match it!!

I cannot wait.

Howard
TuomasH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Turku ja Pori, Finland
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 279 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 02:03 AM UTC
I got today my Focke wulf fw 190 A8/A8-R2 by Tamiya finally! Starting build for aces high campaign, still 1.5 months left.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:42 AM UTC
My order from Hannants arrived today:

A bunch of aftermarket stuff and decals this time:
- wheels & canopy for CA's 1:48 Brewster
- wheel & wheel well set and a cockpit set (not originally designed...) for Zvezda's MiG-21bis
- forward cowling ring for Revell's 1:72 Fw-190
- new decals for Tamiya's 1:48 Dewoitine D.520
- stencil set for the aforementioned MiG-21.

That stencil set sure looks like fun...

Now who doesn't like decaling?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi there

Nothing from Postie today, but I went to ModelZone during my lunch-break to buy some Humbrol gloss French Blue ready for the new Planet Models Bugatti Racer and spotted Italeri's 1/48 scale B-25 (ex-Accurate Miniatures) on sale for less than £20, so I couldn't resist grabbing it!

All the best

Rowan