General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What the postman brought today ....
grimmo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 01:23 AM UTC
I got one of the Hobby Boss F-111C/G kits the other day, and WOW! i can't wait to start it! i'm off to the local shop to buy another one this week!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got one of the Hobby Boss F-111C/G kits the other day, and WOW! i can't wait to start it! i'm off to the local shop to buy another one this week!

It looks great doesn't it. 100% better than the Kitech one I 'developed' last year...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi gang so here is a pic of my haul from Friday and the ultracast stuff I found at the door step when I came back home at the weekend... P-38 wheels and seats and a Rotol prop for a SpitVb

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 03:11 AM UTC
Nice haul Steffen
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC
Outstanding haul there Steffen there's four or five things I would not mind myself.
tim
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 07:24 AM UTC
Nice haul Steffen, whats the Turbo Porter like?

It's one of those aircraft that does not fit into my theme but just has that build me look about it.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi all

Thanks I am also very happy with most of the stuff and will start a few new build threads soon (during my stay at home I did a bit on the Eduard Fw 190D-9 and Tamiya Zero) and hopefully pic up one or another of the older ones...

Quoted Text

Nice haul Steffen, whats the Turbo Porter like?

It's one of those aircraft that does not fit into my theme but just has that build me look about it.

The kit is basically the same as the AU-23 Peacemaker (lhs are two doos instead of the larger sliding gate). The plastic is coloured off white instead of the olive in the Peacemaker kit. It comes with 3 markings one is for the movie machine ("Air America") and the other two represent real aircraft in Air America livery. Stephen did a review of the AU-23 here on Aeroscale:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/5042

HTH

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2010 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Wow! A fine haul indeed! Not all my cup of tea, but the VER Irbitis I-16 most certainly is! I'll be fascinated to see what it's like if you do a build or review.

A very nice package arrived at Castle Aeroscale today. Our friends at Windsock have been as busy as ever and our WW1 brigade are in for a treat - Vol.2 on the Ninak is real cracker!

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 11:18 PM UTC
Not the postman but additions to the stash from another source. I took my 8 y/o boy Josh to my local model club for the first time last night. He was excited to see what was on display, and even more excited about the possibility of getting a raffle prize. He pored over the prize options for quite a while and informed me what he would choose when (yes WHEN, not IF) he won the raffle. Being a good dad I bought us 5 tickets each. Joshie chose to take the red tickets, I got black.

Much to Joshies dismay, and to howls of derision from my clubmates, my numbers came up first draw. Once again, being a good dad I picked out the prize kit that Josh chose and gave it to him !!

Now it gets better. Josh was sitting looking at his new kit, never expecting it, and you guessed it his numbers came up for second prize !!!
Being daddy's boy, he went up and grabbed the kit that I said was my favourite, walked over and gave it to me !!

By this stage the club president was warning me of immediate banishment if we came up again, so I quietly warned Josh that we should sit still for a while.

Sorry to post such a drawn out message, but you just couldn't ask for a better night, and there's a few hours of father/son time in the making.

BTW that Kinetic F-84 kit is awesome in detail !!

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
Sorry D, but the intertoobs ate the photo of Josh's kit. (Never mind, it gave it back) All in all a special moment.

I've got the Matchbox kit of the PB4Y-2. Gonna get to it one of these days.........

So if we ever get done with the Torpedo campaign are you gonna start an F-84 one? Think I've got 2 or 3 in the stash
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
The Kinetic F-84F is based on the Revell one (which is the Monogram kit )

The kinetic has worser detail that the Revell one in the cockpit but it has engraved panel lines (Revell-Monogram has raised panel lines )

Cheers Nick
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:19 AM UTC
I'm a glutton for punishment and have just recieved this.

I know to replace the decals and I'm looking for some replacements.I have also orderd some PE for the cockpit.

Thanks.

Martin
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
My box of lovelies finally arrived!

From the top..

1/48 Hobby Boss F111-C. I did some engineering work on these planes a few years ago now. Still one of the most graceful shapes in the sky.

1/35 Trumpeter BR 57 Armoured Locomotive. The centre piece for the Aarmoured train I will be starting to build soon. Will be huge .. and will cost lots..

1/32 Hobby Boss Il-2 Sturmovik. This one was a complete surprise to me and it will be interesting to see what reviewers say about it. First of a series of Il-2s.

Bye for now!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 03:44 AM UTC
Hi again

My Eduard Triplane didn't survive the trip from London last year so, like Steffen, I couldn't resist getting Revell's re-boxed version when I saw it in the LHS today.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC
Well I did not buy it but got it for review ... have you had a look inside?

I found thet red plastic really disgusting

BTW got the Snowman special edition SAFS today, but sent it out to my friend Mario for whom I ordered it. (http://static.hlj.com/images/wav/wavmk-34box.jpg HLJ does not allow hotlinking )

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I did not buy it but got it for review ... have you had a look inside? I found thet red plastic really disgusting...

Hi Steffen

Yes, it's pretty garish isn't it! It seems like mixed up thinking - I guess moulding it that way is to appeal to youngsters who think all Triplanes should be bright red but don't want to paint their models, but Eduard's model isn't really suitable for them.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
all, nothing too exciting for me, a pair of Xuron Ultra-flush sprue cutters and a tube of squadron green putty. I've never used either, but my builds are starting to get more detailed and I'm getting a lot fussier about gaps and seam lines.

Cheers, D
markske
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 02:01 AM UTC
my newest models.

Mark
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

all, nothing too exciting for me, a pair of Xuron Ultra-flush sprue cutters and a tube of squadron green putty. I've never used either, but my builds are starting to get more detailed and I'm getting a lot fussier about gaps and seam lines.

Cheers, D

Hmm.. I have found that if you cut the pieces off flush you tend to damage the parts. Leave a bit of a stub on the part and trim that with a sharp blade matey.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm.. I have found that if you cut the pieces off flush you tend to damage the parts. Leave a bit of a stub on the part and trim that with a sharp blade matey.

Yeah, agreed. That's what I do most of the time, but sometimes I find some fiddly odd-shaped parts that just need a really fine approach to get rid of some excess and the blade won't quite fit. Looking forward to using the Squadron Green putty, I keep reading and seeing good things about it.

Cheers, D
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2010 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hi fellow shoppers

Today I got another parcel from Lucky model. I used their sale to buy some modeling material. 4x Tamiya extra thin glue, Tamiya putty, and Tamiya fast curing epoxy putty ... all for under 20 Euro including s&h ....

I also got a letter from Vince Tassone today. I bought the New Stormo Decals Italian Bf109 Aces (pt.1) sheet (Special Collectors Edition ... who knows if I ever build such a model )

all the best

Steffen
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
Very nice Steffen, I know there not naval but were did you get them? After all they are Italian

Any ways, my little holiday is almost at an end after visiting several former airfields and other museums in Suffolk I could not pass up a trip to Hannants as my hotel is only 2 miles away I'll post photos next time I'm on.

Trip to Orford Ness tomorrow the home of the 'top secret Anglo-American System 441A 'over-the-horizon' (OTH) backscatter radar project, code-named 'Cobra Mist'.' and the 'pagoda like structures used for atomic bomb testing', but now the area is a nature reserve.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
@D, I agree, I cut off a chunk of sprue with the cutters and then use a curved blade and then rock it across the stub. Usually gives agood clean edge. Looking forward to your report on Green stuff. Never had much luck with any putty (most likely operator error) Squadron White, bondo, Testor's red.... Sticking with CA and Mr. Surfacer for the time being.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi Luciano

click image it leads directly to the stormo site

cheers

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi again

today I got two more deliveries of B-day stuff. My Ultracast order with some Spit Vb goodies (I think I'll try a dual build on this one) and some books from Aviation Bookshop (originally I just wanted the H-E Bob book (yes for the Zvezda kit), but then I went a bit over board. Will hit me next month with the credit card bill:

cheers

Steffen