Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Camel -VS-Fokker DR.1 Campaign
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC
Roden as the best camel kit Ben !

What Keith no rigging , what do you ever mean by that !!
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 - 08:49 PM UTC
Right, I've started, got frustrated trying not to lose the control horns on the DVII and needed to build.

Roden DrI profile.... Unsure Lothar's 454/17...Greim's 521/17, or Baumer's 204/17. I want something colourful....

Doin a few of the obvious flaws in the basic kit atm and thinning/opening up around control wire poits etc...will post when something starts to gel..

Keith
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 11:23 PM UTC

It's about time someone started a Camel. So i'll start 2 at once then. My markings choices will be the 10 RNAS aircraft of Canadian William M. Alexander. And B6398 "Cleopatra" after it was retired from front line duty and sent to a training SQN in 1918.

Andrew
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 03:11 AM UTC
Good for you.

And a Canuck Camel to boot.

My Grandson and I are still in. We will be doing a Fokker and a Camel.

I'm going to try to convince him to do something other than a red Triplane but a flashy red model would look smashing in his room. However, a Jasta 36 triplane would look cool, with an extra cross on the tailplane and a blue engine cowling - with the streaky green camo I bet it would pretty sinister - and that may appeal to a 12 year old.

The kit is a Revell 1/28 scale. I did the same kit in the mid-1960's but as Werner Voss'. There are two dates on the fuselage halves, 1957 and 1997. That makes the original molds 52 years old (almost as old as me (57), and 45 years older than him.

We will be doing it as much as possible out of the box, but the machine guns are very bad, as is the propeller. From what I've read there's lots else wrong with it too, but 50 years ago, it was cutting edge.

As for the Camel, I'd like to do one from 73 Squadron RFC - one that engaged MvR, or was shot down by him, or as one from 46 Squadron RFC which apparently tangled with Jasta 36 quite often.

Cheers,

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 01:33 PM UTC
Andrew , right on ! Eduards kit is a grea choice . Have 3 in the stash and was planning on doing the wonka ponka but my time frame just won't allow it . I know the out come of your build will be super

Great Richard ! Look forward to the dual progress you guy's will have . Copper State Models has gremans guns in 1/28 scale and a very fair price . Eric produces some of the best resin out there !
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Roden as the best camel kit Ben !

Kit ordered, and I've signed up. I also added the Part PE to the order- probably not needed at this scale, and for a beginner, but I'll give it a go.

I am planning on building Camel B6212 'Black Prince'- the white gothic 'M' looks great.
NorthernSteel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 - 11:28 PM UTC
I also joined in. Another good reason to make one dridekker..
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 02:16 AM UTC
I wish you luck with the Part PE set Ben , it is a nice set to add to the kit .

Excellent Mikko ! I've see your work over on the drome and is a big welcome here on the site What markings will you be going with ?

I have an up date on my build so far . Cockpit is almost finished now . I do have to scratch a new rudder bar for the carpet moster claimed a new victim Pic's will be up soon !
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 07:01 AM UTC
BTW, my Roden 1/32 Triplane is moving along. I painted it a somewhat dark turquois to begin with, but the Gunsight streak decals hardly showed up at all, so I've repainted it with plain old Tamiya Lt. Blue and have the decals on the gear fairing and top fuselage. Not bad, but you do want to cut them larger than you'll need and they stick pretty fast! Photos as I get a bit farther along!

Michael
NorthernSteel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oulu, Finland
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 - 08:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent Mikko ! I've see your work over on the drome and is a big welcome here on the site What markings will you be going with ?

Thank you Terri. I haven't make desicion yet, but something else than JGII. Rowans sheet can rest now.
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
We started the 1/28 Fokker this week, washed parts, seperated from trees, began re-sculpting the propeller. Seriously considering Copper State MG's. Rest of model will be OOB except for cockpit. Some pictures and kit description to folloe.

Cheers, Rick and Max
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 04:16 AM UTC
I'm trundling on with my DR, actually got some paint on some bits....as expected though its in more parts than it was when I opened the box, but thats me :-P

Fuselage is together...the cockpit isnt finished but I worked out it can be detailed and added in sections...wait for the swearing to start soon..!!

A mix of PoP Eduard and scratch detailing and corrections underway. Pics may be posted later over the weekend

Prifile wise I'll probably be going for Greims DR but still fancy Baumer's but have an age yet before that descision has to be reached. Or there again I could do ......LOL

Keith
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC
Sounds like you got your mojo back ! I'm doing my out of box do to that , i would like the have this one off the bench . Way to many on the go ...........................

Now don't go over with the AMS , the object is to keep what hair you have left
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 12:54 AM UTC
[quote]Sounds like you got your mojo back ! I'm doing my out of box do to that , i would like the have this one off the bench . Way to many on the go ...........................

Now don't go over with the AMS , the object is to keep what hair you have left [/quote

HEY!....LOL I got plenty hair thank you....it might have gone on vacation to new areas and not be growing where I want up top but it's hair...

K
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Out of curiosity, I'm just wondering if anyone has a count of how many people are doing Camels vs. Dr.1s? Those Gunsight decals I'm using on my Roden Dr.1 are nice but taking some getting used to and I'm thinking about possibly going over to the (later) Hobbycraft Camel to hedge my bets. I'd be doing good ole' B6313 in one if it's guises.

Michael
(trying to keep what hair I have!)
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
No Micheal , really haven't counted how many Dr.1's and Camels . But buy the look of things the Dr.1 seems to be the choice bird .
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 06:46 PM UTC
Finally have a progress report on the Camels. Ready to join the fuselage halves, and with other builds out of the way now, things should move a bit faster.

Andrew
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 05:32 PM UTC
And the airframes come together. Not much filler will be needed on these two.

Andrew
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2009 - 01:19 PM UTC
Go Andrew go ! Very fast progress on your Camels ! Where do you have to add filler ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2009 - 04:27 PM UTC
Terri will you have the moderator stickie this thread or will you start another for the kick off. Sept 1, 2009 to Jan. 2010?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC
Thanks stephen , PM sent to Chuck to get a sticky added . Since we are all ready under way and every one is posting here might as well keep it here instead of starting a new thread .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 - 03:54 PM UTC
Lets see now what shall I build? maybe a Fok. Dr.I or maybe a Sopwith F.1? Maybe Both!

Decisions, decisions. . . Well its has to be ones I haven't got already in the stable HHhhhmmmm. . .
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2009 - 08:38 PM UTC
Getting the colours on now. Both Camels needing a lot of different colours, something rare for RFC/RNAS aircraft. Still 2 more lots of masking and colour to go.

Andrew
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 05:08 PM UTC
Looking very shape so far Andrew I always like the Egyptian markings on the Camel . Must be the blue paint !!!

How are the rest of you all doing ?

We also need to have ribbon as well , any thoughts on that ?
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 11:06 PM UTC
All the colours are finally on now. Five and six colours being needed on each of the 2 Camels meant lots of masking. Needs leaving for a day now before the clear coat and decals. Maybe i'll them finished even by the end of the weekend.

Andrew