Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Camel -VS-Fokker DR.1 Campaign
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 12:15 AM UTC
Cheers Kalt it's good to get these little 1/72 planes oot the stash.
The Eduard 1/72 DR1 is a little gem and the flyboys boxing is something a little
different No need for AMS here. It's a movie!

While the wife and in laws settle down to watch Celeb in a Jungle I've
done the cockpit and buttoned her up, painted the engine black and dry brushed it.
Nothing fancy just nice relaxing styrene bashing.

Perfect alternative to Sunday night viewing. Would show you pics but I can't really
get a camera in there to show the cockpit. I'll post one once construction is finished.
The whole thing is about the length of ones finger!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 04:45 AM UTC
My Fokker is almost finished. I only need to paint some of the rigging and give it a final coat. I do not know how the finish was on Fokkers.

Should the finish on the Fokker be Gloss, semi gloss, or matt?
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My Fokker is almost finished. I only need to paint some of the rigging and give it a final coat. I do not know how the finish was on Fokkers.

Should the finish on the Fokker be Gloss, semi gloss, or matt?

Good question....A satin Matt I think to start but they threw oil around so many have quite a sheen to them Jesper so to play safe go for a satin finish I would think.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:08 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply, keith. I will go for a semi gloss coat then.

More to follow shortly
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
An hour of spraying black produces something I can post here it is.
Also a Camel since we don't see many of them in this thread
not part of this build but the checkerboard one.
The DR.1 looks so damn evil in black.
flyboys fokker Dr1
Flyboys Fokkers and Cobby's Camel
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hi All, So many nice Fokkers. Now the Harrier is complete I can start a Camel. Eduard, 1/48 RNAS grey OOB apart from an PE detail set, should be a change from the PC10.
One little piece of information that I picked up a few years ago while building the Revell 1/28 Fokker, and being determined NOT to do the MvR machine I tried to do Werner Voss's instead. I read somewhere at that time that Fokker used a light blue or silvery-blue fabric instead of unbleached linen, the dark olive streaking on the aircraft being applied in the field, any truth in that? That would give a different appearence. btw my Fokker was all wrong, but I didn't find out for several years, blissful ignorance
Something else that surprised me recently was the revelation that PC10 finish used on RFC aircraft was glossy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:19 PM UTC
JP, good start. I agree there are definitely something sinister about the all black fokker.

Andrew, looking forward to see your project get of the ground.

I have now finished my first ever WWI aircraft. It was a joy to build and definitely not the last one I will build. One has to love the Eduard PE machine gun sights and cowlings. I already have one more Eduard Fokker Dr. I and two Eduard Fokker D. VIIs in my stash. Long live Eduard dual combos!

The rigging is not as complicated as I feared although it must be tough and time consuming on more involved rigging jobs. After having build this bird and putting it next to an SU-22 in the same scale one gets respect for the brave pilots who flew and fought in these small things made of wood, linnen, and a large lawn mover engine. Especially since most of them did not have a parachute

Thanks for all the help during the build. I really appreciate the advise and backup from the forum. There were a lot of "firsts" for me during this build, tridekker, rigging, streaked camoflage just being a few of them. Not the last WWI plane i Build!

Comments welcome.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 10:30 PM UTC
I cannot seem to find the gallery for finished builds. It is not under the Aeroscale campaign gallery.

Terri, can you point me in the right direction?
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
Nice to see a convert, and a nice Dr1. One of the nice things about WW1 is that much of the reference material is ambiguous and many of the B&W film stocks react differently to different colours. This means that even the "Experts" often don't agree. So if you build an aircraft in a particular set of colours who can say you're wrong? So long as it looks right.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 12:10 PM UTC
Ha ha Jesper, WW1 is the classical music of modelling. Complex, deep,
full of in jokes, and pontificators Gotta love it.

Well on the subject of dubious colours here is the flyboys dr.1
I couldn't stand to paint the tail white and break up that nasty black.
so on went an iron cross, the bar cross had no white surround.

A glimpse of cobby's camel (how did that get on here?)

Flyboys Fokker and Cobbys Camel
Flyboys Fokker and Cobbys Camel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 01:57 PM UTC
Super build Jesper ! Guns are a bit to shiney for me . I paint them a flat black then dry brush with steel . The paint on the real guns where black and had a bluish ting to it . Forgot what the name is .

For posting your finish build in the gallery , how do you set that up ? I don't know how !

I like it JP ! Man that looks sharp !
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:03 PM UTC
I think you might be right about the guns, Terri. Maybe a dark wash would be in place.

Somebody must be able to point to the gallery. I cannot seem to find it?
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:41 PM UTC
Hey John, something about an all black Fokker, they do look so sinister.
Jesper, nice work on the DrI. The PE on the guns looks great, but I'd have to side with Terri, they're just a bit too bright IMO.
Just finished up a Pfalz DIIIa of Jasta 30, one flown by Oblt Hans Bethge. I saw your build of this same aircraft Terri, and as usual, a splendid one at that. Also referenced from the Dual build that you and Mark recently completed. Wanted to say thanks for the inspiring work you do.
Well, it looks like it's about time I get started on at least one of 2 builds. I see Andrew has a Camel up, so I might try the DrI. Glad you've posted tips on the Fokker Streak Camo.
Mo
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Terri, this is the kit and some of the reference material...

Mo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri, this is the kit and some of the reference material...

Mo

Still have a few DR.1's in the stash and the more profiles I come across the more kit's I will need to get ! It's a great kit to build even if the landing struts are to long . Nice books , both are in my library . Will you be using the windsock ? I high reconmmend the datafile special . Is this one being done OOB ?

Looking forward to the progress on your build and thanks for the comments

JP , how are your wheels coming along ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

'. . .For posting your finish build in the gallery , how do you set that up ? I don't know how !. . . '

Terri get with the Campaign Admin and he will build it and point you in right the direction for this. To everyone involved please feel free to post any build shots on your own thread over on the Early Aviation title. The Dr.I in black from Flyboys is a honey and Cobby's white Camel is beautiful.

Mine is in the stage where the cockpit is closed up and I am adding some base colour. Not to give it away but mine will be an unusual scheme. Not done previously to my knowlege but historical.
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hey Terri, I wasn't planning on using any PE, except on the Spandau's. I really like the looks of the PE on them, the cooling shrouds just don't look the same in plastic. Do you know if there are 1/48 PE sets available of just the MG's. I haven't had the priveledge to view any of the Windsock Datafiles yet, but I've read favourable reviews of them though.
Mo
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Terri, I wasn't planning on using any PE, except on the Spandau's. I really like the looks of the PE on them, the cooling shrouds just don't look the same in plastic. Do you know if there are 1/48 PE sets available of just the MG's. I haven't had the priveledge to view any of the Windsock Datafiles yet, but I've read favourable reviews of them though.
Mo

Greetings Mobious,

Its good to see you here. Now for individual 1:48 PE Spandau sets Try Tom's Modelworks (reopened) and Karaya through MisterkitUSA.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine is in the stage where the cockpit is closed up and I am adding some base colour. Not to give it away but mine will be an unusual scheme. Not done previously to my knowlege but historical.

Ooooh you tease, now you've piqued our interest! It was you got me into looking for odd schemes in the first place with your "when I flew with..." Group Build. So it you I blame for this madness, Mr Lawson
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hey Stephan, great to be here on the Aeroscale Forums. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.
I've ordered a set of PE to replace the one I stole out of my combo set. I couldn't resist. Should have some progress photo's to post this afternoon, if all goes well.
Terri, I'll have to look over S.Lawson's informative review of this kit in order to get the correct LG strut length, or at least something in the ball park.
Mo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thamks Stephen , made it with Chusck and should be good to go now ! I was woundering on weather or not you would be building something here . You are a tease !

Mob , You can also try Fotocut as well . I have a few of their sets and what's nice about them , no cutting the part off ! Copper State Models has excellent guns , there was fire damage and he will back up and running soon so just a tip for the future . The kit really doesn't need the PE parts IMO . Eduard have done a fantastic job in that department . I do agree with the gun jackets . PE parts are much better in that area for detail .
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 01:54 AM UTC
Well I dilegently burned the midnight oil and managed to get the pit area ready. I took a couple photo's before I forget to and glue the fuselage togther.

Starboard View of the Pit" BORDER="0">
Port View of the Pit" BORDER="0">
I hope to get some paint laid down later, since I'm a little ahead of schedule. I just repaired my VSR90 and painted the CDL on the upper wing surfaces.

Mo
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hey Terri, managed to get some paint laid down on the Tridecker, And a couple of photo's as well.
Pretty much followed the tips that were posted earlier in the thread on the subject. I layed down the CDL using acrylics and my repaired VSR90, followed by lightened OD airbrushing, sealed that up with a laquer to prevent damage to the base paint and also makes corrections a snap. The streaking was done with acrylics and a No.2 thick fan brush. First with a lighter shade of OD, then straight OD, followed by a sealing coat of Future, then a light oil wash of Burnt Umber to soften things up abit.

I forgot to finish the aerolons with the top wing. It would have been simpler to do them at the same time as the top wing.
On a side note, the double action airbrush was a pleasure to use. Not giving up on the ol H single action. Still plenty of chores for that airbrush, things that the VSR won't do. It just uses so much air volume. I did find myself reaching to adjust the paint cone, now and again...lol.
Mo

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC
Looking very nice Mob ! Your streaking looks great Cockpit turned out very well . Looking forward to more of your progress
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
Thanks Terri, I'm considering a final light airbrushing after final assembly. I'm still stumped on decals for the build I wanted to do. An oversight on my part, I thought I had a set of National markings suitable for the Fokker I'm planning, but it never seems to fail that I'm always missing one or more decals to complete a project. I may be forced into masking, something I'm dreading for some reason(probably cuz they're big, symmetrical and on the top wing). Course, if I spend alittle more time planning out the task than I did doing inventory for this build, things should turn out ok, uhh..., I hope anyway. I still may come up with something for the markings out of the spares ziplock baggie though.
Keepin My Fingers "Crossed"...
Mo