Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Camel -VS-Fokker DR.1 Campaign
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 05:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thamks Stephen , made it with Chuck and should be good to go now ! I was woundering on weather or not you would be building something here . You are a tease. . .

Me a tease? I don't know where you get these ideas from.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 - 09:07 PM UTC
It's been a while simce I raised my head here....Some lovely work guys..really lovely work.

Mine is moving along, if it brightens enough I might post pics later today...had a few paint issues but I've reached a what the hell point and am going to finish it nonetheless. I just have to keep the camera away so as not to catch the flaws..you know how the lens picks out the tiniest error >(

Cheers ~K~
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hey Kornbeef, I can relate to that. Had a bit of trouble when I masked the fuselage. The tape lifted an area the size of my thumb from the streaked area around the wing root. Luckily for me it was an easy task to repair, besides I had to blend the aerolons to the top wing also. I did find suitable national marking decals, so I wount be lifting any more paint.
M0
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC
My 1/72 Bentley-engined RNAS Camel is slowly coming together. Cockpit finally finished tonight:

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
Keith , Mob ...looking forward to the progress pic's of your builds

Very nice progress on the Camel Ben !

Still waiting for Stephen's build to show up though ! ( It's top secert you know ! )

Just a reminder for the rest of the folks . We only have a few weeks left on this Campaign .
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC
Nice cockpit with good details, Ben.

Looking forward to see more
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:15 PM UTC
The Camels are coming....sounds like a good title for a book. Anyway, just to prove I have not been sitting on my hands, the Camel so far:

Timing looks tight, but I have time off over Christmas
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
Nice progress Andrew ! Cockpit looks very well done , looking forward to more progress
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC
Dutfully states the fact I do intend to finish this campaign....with a ribbon.

Seriously though I was V upset at the way I fouled up the paint on the tail surfaces....maybe I'll revisit it later.....Damn Greenstuff it shrunk when I painted. resuting sanding made things far worse...still this is a second hand aircraft I'm sure the overpainting wasnt as perfect as we interpret it.

I have 2 of three wings on and the top sitting while the cabanes set but still have a little detail work to do and pop the UC on and *RIG* the teensie bit a DR.i has

~keith~

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
I think you can do it Keith , still have 13 more days to go !

How are the rest of your guy's builds coming a long ?
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hey Terri, I've been away from the bench for the last couple weeks. I did manage to fit the mid and lower wings in place. Going to be hectic over the next week, with the holidays and all. Should be back at the bench after Christmas and hope to complete this little bird before the end of the year.
I'll try and get some pics up as progress allows.
Mobious
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hey Terri, just got back to the bench and assembled the Oberursel and the Spandau's. I painted everything with MM's metalizer gunmetal, drybrushed with MM aluminum, I'll be adding an arcylic wash later.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Mobious
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 10:12 PM UTC
Very nice engine and MGs, Mobious. These Eduard kits have some really good details. Looking forward to see more

Terri, any news on a folder for finished entries into this campaign? I think it would be a pity if we do not have a folder for all the nice entries in this campaign.
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 08:15 AM UTC
Thank you Jesper for the comments, The PE is not from the WeekEnd EDition kit, I just couldn't resist adding it to this build.
Hey Terri, got a few questions. I'm getting close to setting the decals. On the particular aircraft I'm building it carried the Balkenkruez national markings. I understand that these were fashioned by painting in the Iron Crosses, is this correct? If so, would the upper surfaces be painted in with OD and what would the lower surtaces have been painted in? I guess what I'm asking is, should the Balkencruez be on an Olive Drab field for the upper surfaces, and what color would be appropriate for the lower surfaces? Or was the entire wing repainted with the Balkenkruez added later? I can't find a good reference shot of either the upper or lower wing surfaces of this particular aircraft.
Mobious
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC
Egads! I'm cuttin this one close.
A photo of the progress,

Hope to be applying decals and finishing up this one, before the campaign ends, next year...
Mobious
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess what I'm asking is, should the Balkencruez be on an Olive Drab field for the upper surfaces, and what color would be appropriate for the lower surfaces?

I am no expert at all on WWI, but on my aircraft the top and sides had OD background to the crosses and white background on the lower wings. On your particular aircraft this might have been different, but at least it could be a likely solution lacking good references.

Hope this helps.
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC
Thanks SgtJKJ, I was thinking along the same lines. I painted olive drab on the upper surface, but the decals are so far out of register. I've tried to balance the white outline of the Balkenkruez by hand painting some of the borders. I'm undecided as to the results so far. Fortunately for me I'll be applying the bottom crosses onto a field of white so the border shouldn't be an issue there.
I did notice while I was painting the crosses, that I'd attached the wrong aerolon, oops. I'm really pushing the time limits on this build, but at least I'm having fun...
Thanks again for the input.
Mobious
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
Mine will be done in a couple of days. A lot of research has gone into this scheme. Images to follow but I don't want to give it up just yet. I am using a DML Fokker Dr.I with a modified Eduard rotary. This particular airframe had a long career in the hands of a well known "ace". Its serial has been misidentified by many historians but I am happy top say that I have nailed it down pretty clearly and can give a very detailed account.
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
Stephen, Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.
Since my kids are all moved out and Christmas is still a magical day for me, I woke early and took to painting Bob, the pilot. Bob comes from Model Cellar, USA. I was amazed at the finely molded nearly flash free casting. Thanks Model Cellar, this figure was a treat, a Christmas treat.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas, and please, remember the reason for the season.
Merry Christmas All!
Mobious
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC
Season's Greetings to all!

This thread will concern my build for the Fokker Dr.I vs Camel Campaign. I start with this as an introduction. Here are some of my images of the Dr.I that I chose to do.

Alterations to the DML Dragon kit were;
1. Replacing the kit engine with a slightly modified Eduard 1:48 Sopwith Camel Clerget and propeller.
2. Replacing the kit harness straps with Eduard prepainted lap belts.
3. Replacing the kit seat with a Roden Sopwith Strutter kit item. (its closer to the Fokker original.)
4. Replacing the kit National markings with modified Eagle Strike 1:48 Fokker D.VII items.

Since this is a very late war representation and during some of the most desperate times. I applied a paint normally used for RC coverage. It actually attackes the kit plastic to bond. The surface is rougher than normal to note the aircraft is in a state that it needs recovering.

Fokker Dr.I 470/17 was first used by Ltn. Jacobs on July 19, 1918. It became his reserve machine until Oct 3, 1918 when his main aircraft was destroyed while trying to force land. His combat reports note that he then applied the "gonw" motif to 470/17 and he continued to score until he was called away to the third fighter trials in Berlin. Its ultimate fate during the last days of the war are unrecorded. It could have been destroyed or turned in with the rest of the Jasta 7 aircraft after Nov. 11, 1918.

Reference;
Cross & Cockade Intl.
Vol.25 #2 1994 “Jasta 7 under Kobes Pt.I”
Vol.25 #3 1994 “Jasta 7 under Kobes Pt.II”
Vol.29 #2 1998 “Sketches and Descriptions-Kobes”
Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
I really like the looks of the aircraft you've modeled. Very nicely done.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
Here is the finished build in unfiltered sunlight.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:11 PM UTC
Here is more of the finished build in unfiltered sunlight. Note the undersurface lt. blue showing through at the rib tapes and other scuffed areas.

Mobious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 02:55 PM UTC
WOW! That looks great! The full sunlight in color photo's look great Stephen. Over the top build.
Mobious
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC
Hi Mob , really like what you did on the engine ! Looks fantastic

What can I say Stephen , but Fantastic ! How did you get the blue showing though the black ?