Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Sea Plane Campaign Thread
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi guys ...its been a craaaazy couple of months for me here, but Im hoping the Stranny is back on track. I was concerned about the thick canopy that is provided in the kit. I am sourcing a vac form replacement canopy here ..wish me luck!
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
hi all,

if anyone should care.... i'm still here but not building at the moment,another 3 weeks of chaos and i should be back.
i've pretty much just got to do the rigging on my s6b...

paul
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
Mike, nice job on the Mavis! Great work there. Damian, a great job as well on a kit which I had thought of building but wanted to wait and see if someone released "a better" version of the kit. You did yourself proud with that Heinkel 115. Russell
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 - 10:36 PM UTC
Very nice work!

I've just finished my entry as well.
Oh bummer, has it really been that long after my last update...

Sorry for not remembering to post WIP pics since my last update, but I guess there wouldn't have been much to see anyway. The fit was impeccable and no touch-up or filling was required when joining all the separately painted components.
The kit's instructions suggested blue angels blue (FS 15050) for the dark blue, but it seemed to me that the plane in the film was much closer to gloss sea blue, so I chose Xtracrylics' FS 15042 instead. The interplane and float struts are intermediate blue. As mentioned in my previous update, the yellow areas (except the spinner) as well as the white fuselage stripe were offered as decals, but I preferred to painting them on, using Xtracrylics' RLM04 and white.

As in the movie, I went for a high-gloss, neat & polished finished without any additional gizmos. One of those models that are perfectly OK to look a bit cartoonish.
For the gloss, I started with Mr. Hobby's clear gloss spray can, but quickly found out it was extremely tricky to get a smooth gloss surface. Spray it too from too far with too light coats - it starts to dry while airborne and makes a rough surface. Spray too close and move the can too slowly - there's a high risk of getting runs and pooling.
Fortunately I got mostly of the aforementioned, the varnish levelled very nicely even on those few occasions when I thought I had a coat much too heavy.
As I found out I wasn't going to get the finish I wanted with the spray, I switched to the good old brush and Future. (I haven't yet found the magic to trick to airbrush Future for a high-gloss sheen) With numerous coats I achieved an adequate surface (yep, there's some orange peel here and there), I called it good enough. My hat is off to all the car modelers who produce those glass-smooth shiny finishes!
With the yellow and white areas painted on, there was only four decals to apply to the airframe (the prop received two, although movie stills show no markings on the blades).
Final assembly was a breeze, as I already mentioned. The only aftermarket addition on the exterior was a ring and bead gunsight I selected from a CMK set.
I'll try to get the standing pilot figure painted up and take a few pics with the 'cowboy' as well.

Hope you like.

Oh btw, is there a campaign gallery for this one yet? I tried looking but didn't find any.

Hmm, there's still plenty of time left, perhaps I'll build Porco's Savioa S.21 as well...

Thanks for running the campaign, I had a great time.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC
Nice build, Eetu. Very shiny and polished finish.

I have not even started yet
Removed by original poster on 05/11/10 - 12:43:48 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/11/10 - 12:47:05 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/11/10 - 12:50:48 (GMT).
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
Beutiful work, Eetu...youve put a great finish on the kit..the gloss finish is impeccable!...
I have no updates for my Stranny yet..still on the hunt for a cockpit..
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
sorry about other links I was experimenting anyways good job E thats a good looking plane.

Build On,
Justin
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC
Brillant Eetu. I'm going to watch Porco Rosso tonight in celebration.
I've started work on G-AGES Sunderland. Cut up the loverly Aeroclub engines to fit inside the cowls, and sprayed them and the insides of the cowls black/brown. Not sure if that is really correct but it'll make the cowls themselves look thinner.

Next is dry brushing and weathering the engines and I'll match them up with their cowls and props. Then we start preshading on an industrial scale.

I'll post some pics once I get on to spraying the camo.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 10:03 AM UTC
Im looking foreward to seeing your progress shots JP ...should be cool..
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hello Eetu,
Go to the photos tab. Look for Aeroscale, Click on it. Then look for Aeroscale campaigns. Under the 2009 Aeroscale campaigns you will find the campaign gallery(It is the first one) then upload your photo's.
BTW Great job on your build.
@ Damian,
Great job on your build. also.
To any one I have missed, Great job everyone on your builds.
I should be starting mine this next week, I have to finish riding the fences this week.
Cheers,
Bruce
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 07:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words every. Much appreciated.

Quoted Text

Hello Eetu,
Go to the photos tab. Look for Aeroscale, Click on it. Then look for Aeroscale campaigns. Under the 2009 Aeroscale campaigns you will find the campaign gallery(It is the first one) then upload your photo's.
BTW Great job on your build.

Oh yes... 2009, of course! Sorry, my bad. I should have realized that. Well, that's sorted out now, just uploaded a few pics in the gallery. Thanks!

Jasonbee71
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 686 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC

I finally got round to starting My Catalina this morning, been a bit un-motivated and a bit out of sorts lately, but finally, in the heat I made a start, as the Cat progresses, I'll post some pics.

Jason
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
Cool JB, lets see some snaps. Feeling demotivatated? Just dive back in, glue fumes will soon get the creative juices flowing.

I've done nothing with G_AGES for months but slowly she inches to the paint shop.

Four cowlings with the Pegasus installed. Just drybrushed light grey. Magic mouldings from Aeroclub.

4 x Aeroclub Pegasii

And some shots with them installed on the nacelles. Can't sing this camera's praises high enough. No lighting, or tripod or flash. Auto selects Macro and 1/20 shutter yet no shake. How does it do that?!!

G-AGES approaches primer
G-AGES approaches primer
G-AGES approaches primer
G-AGES approaches primer
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 05:21 PM UTC
Just dropped in to see what's goin' on.

Really great work here.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 08:24 PM UTC
Hi everyone!

Maybe I should get started on my 1/24 Trumpeter Zero Seaplane. I know, I know it may have a fault here or there, but it looks like a Zero Seaplane when it is finished and that is all I am after in a model. My fav parts are the construction and painting.. As long as it is close to how it is supposed to look I will be happy.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 08:26 PM UTC
Nice 115 Damien. These old Matchbox kits can still be fun to build and I can't see another 115 coming out anytime soon!

I built one back about 32 years ago, but I am not sure where it went.. Tends to happen when you move every few years for the defence of your country.

That Sunderland looks like it needed just a touch of filler too... You are a stronger man than I John-Paul!
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've done nothing with G_AGES for months but slowly she inches to the paint shop.

looking sharp there JP...Ive been waiting with anticipation for your pics....theyve been worth the wait fer sher.
My Stranny has been stalled as I wait for a vac canopy. A fellow modeller I know is helping me hunt one down here, as I cant in good conscience build her with the kit part. its just too thick I feel....
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 03:09 PM UTC
Oh oh...I just remembered. I built the cockpit for the Zero about 9 months ago.. Think that puts it out of contention does it not?
Jasonbee71
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 686 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 11:02 PM UTC

Thanks JP, cleaned up the wings and the main body, their just waiting for some glue. I will post some pice once I start gluing it all together. I'm waiting for some reference material to arrive, and I'll get going again.

JB
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh oh...I just remembered. I built the cockpit for the Zero about 9 months ago.. Think that puts it out of contention does it not?

Greyghost has the final say, as its his campaign, but I would suspect that yes, that knocks the kit out of eligibility..
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
I have the following to build instead then..

1/32 Revell Tiger Moth mit Floats (that are only mentioned in the instructions to tell you they are nit used)
1/72 Sword Sikorsky S-43 (I think!)
1/32 Revell Bv222

Which one shall it be?
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the following to build instead then..

1/32 Revell Tiger Moth mit Floats (that are only mentioned in the instructions to tell you they are nit used)
1/72 Sword Sikorsky S-43 (I think!)
1/32 Revell Bv222

Which one shall it be?

I think the Sikorsky hasnt been done in this campaign by anyone yet ...its an interesting choice