Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Sea Plane Campaign Thread
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Beautiful job there Warren!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 02:28 PM UTC
Thanks guys.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2010 - 02:28 AM UTC
Great job, Warren. Definitely a spit and polish job.
Thanks for sharing

I have finally got started on my Do. 17 flying boat. The fantastic old Matchbox kit - at least fantastic for its time Another trip down memory lane.

Pics to follow soon.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC
ok,here we have my finished kit of the supermarine s6b schneider trophy racer 1931.

i love the aircraft but would i build another one of these testor kits....no way!...fit issues the whole way resulted in lots of filler.

anyway it looks something like the original

see ya in another campaign
paul
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC
Bravo on a fine finish to a difficult kit.

I've got several of the OLD Hawk-Testors abominations in the stash. They're great for practice and skill building. Pretty profitable for the filler industry too.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:36 AM UTC
What a lovely clean finish. Sign of a neat worker esp when so much filler needed.

I'm not a neat worker at all but progress continues slow and steady. Looking forward to getting paint started on this

Made some navlights. Bit of clear sprue, drill hole, fill with red/blue paint, glue on, sand to shape, polish. Done

Landing lights
Landing lights

Will mask these and then get on with the paintwork.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have finally got started on my Do. 17 flying boat. The fantastic old Matchbox kit - at least fantastic for its time Another trip down memory lane.

Pics to follow soon.

I think you will find that it is actually a Do-18, Jesper. I know Matchbox made a big mistake on their box with one of their kits of the aircraft.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 09:17 PM UTC
Warren, you are right it is of course the Do 18. My mistake.

Here is a couple of pictures of the stranded whale The fit is actually quite good. Of course the details are on the heavy side and especially the clear parts are very thick.

But for its age and nostalgy it is wonderful!!

I think I will go for the splinter colour schemes although I am tempted by the prewar light grey scheme.

Top points to Matchbox for supplying "accurate" schemes instead of just a standard decal sheet which was the case in some of the kits from that era.

More to follow....

Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 103 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Still two months time to start this project now.

The kit has been fairly criticised and indeed has its shortcomings for a recent kit. Nevertheless it seems to be a relaxing build compared to MPM/HiPM‘s version - which is still getting dusty in my stash...

Cheers
Matty
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 12:22 AM UTC
Would an Ekranoplan (Wing In Ground effect thing) would count for this campaign?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would an Ekranoplan (Wing In Ground effect thing) would count for this campaign?

Of course it would Gary. There is nothing much more of a seaplane than one of those.
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC
And go!

As I‘m working on two German WWII planes as campaign entries in parallel, I‘m trying to have some (German) efficiency.

So, I had a RLM 02 session for the cockpits of the Arado Ar 196 and a Bf 109 D - both are from the pre-RLM 66-era.

Obviously I‘m in a propeller mood today, as I‘m finished painting of both kits‘ propellers...

Cheers
Matty
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2010 - 10:29 PM UTC
Hi again,
The last days I focused on the engine (more or less at 37 degree Celsius and the Football World Cup running)...

Cheers
Matty
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
Looks good so far, Matty. It will be interesting to follow your build.

Good luck for the football tonight. I placed money before the World Cup started that Holland and Germany would meet in the final. Now I just wished I put more money on it
Matty_K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hi Jesper,
Thanks for your nice comments. I was not in "posting mood" for the last days for understandable reasons...

I hope, you didn‘t lost too much money!

In truth, it‘s too hot at the moment for me to get things done. I assume you‘re having similar temperatures in Denmark, but hopefully some kind of cooling wind.

Cheers
Matty
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Matty, Bronze is also worth something I lost a meager 15 euros, so I will survive

Here is a little update on my entry. The basic camopuflage is now on. Next is detail painting and then the decals.

More to follow.

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC
Lookin; good Jesper! Was always one of my favourite Matchbox kits.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 11:19 PM UTC
Thanks, Warren. I agree it is an great kit considering its age. I am quickly developing a soft spot for these old Matchbox kits.

More to follow soon.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Warren. I agree it is an great kit considering its age. I am quickly developing a soft spot for these old Matchbox kits.

More to follow soon.

Looking great Jesper. I really enjoyed my He 115 for this campaign also. Simple in detail but a nice build. Perhaps we should think about a "Matchbox Nostalgia" campaign similar to the one running on Armorama. It would need a long lead-up to let people hunt down some kits though !!

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Matchbox Nostalgia" campaign similar to the one running on Armorama. It would need a long lead-up to let people hunt down some kits though !!

I've got 4 of 'em in the stash. But I'd need a long time to build one of them, so much filling and sanding to finish....
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

More to follow soon.

Looking great Jesper. I really enjoyed my He 115 for this campaign also. Simple in detail but a nice build. Perhaps we should think about a "Matchbox Nostalgia" campaign similar to the one running on Armorama. It would need a long lead-up to let people hunt down some kits though !!

Cheers, D

I remember having nothing but Revell and Airfix early on, oh and Frog but even then they were the poor relatives. Then some Japanese kits started appearing, but they were too expensive for a kid, and then Matchbox burst onto the scene and Warren was very happy with all these new subjects, and all at pretty affordable prices.

Nostalgia indeed when I would pump out minimum one kit every few days in the school holidays. I remember getting the catalogues and browsing them for hours and hours.

I can afford any model now, but time is the valuable resource now.

Bring on the campaign as I have a few Matchbox kits in the stash!
kg4kpg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC
Okay, I have too many Group Builds and Campaigns going on. I finished my build back in February and forgot to post it doing other GB's. Anyway, I did an RAAF OS2U Kingfisher I found a color profile of. Couldn't find decals but I did have what I needed and just hand painted the numbers. Not the pretiest but better than I thought they would look. rest of you guys are doing some awesome work.

Thanks, Chris

Here was the inspiration and then the completed project.

Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 11:09 AM UTC
Nice finish with the yellow
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 11:52 AM UTC
I assume these are landing lights. The kit parts are just solid clear plastic and these nice scratch ones were part of the the kit when I got it. But how to cover them? Tried smash molding covers, no good.
How about good old rail modelling methods. Sellotape. This is just a test run. I'll redo it with paint on. Apply the tape cut around where the framing would go. The framing will be painted/Bare Metal Foiled later. Beauty of this is, it is cheap and easily available, and redo-able.

What do you folks think? Any other ideas?

From 3ft
Sunderland Landing Light

From 3in
Sunderland Landing Light
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 01:11 PM UTC
I used MV lenses, and clear plastic from a food container top for my Mavis and it looked great! The clear plastic is cheap and plentiful, so if you need to make a few till it looks the way you want its no biggie. I glues it in place with FUTURE floor wax.