_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official Sea Plane Campaign Thread
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 04:30 AM UTC
This is the Thread for the Campaign now that it has started, created at the request of your Campaign Leader.The old thread is now locked.
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC
Here's my first (hopefully) entry for this campaign. I've shot it with my entry for the "Checkerboard" Campaign, which also starts today. I have so many great seaplane kits, I couldn't decide which to do. This was an eBay win last week, so I just grabbed it. However, I am hoping that I can fit at least 1 or 2 more in, before the campaign ends. It's a great topic, and there's just too many great ones to build.

Great builds, everyone.

Cheers,
MIke
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 05:43 AM UTC
I need a bit of help ... studying what few interior photos I can find ... is the interior of the BV138 RLM02?? or am i way off ... the instructions say light olive but that's not giving me a warm fuzzy. Any help is great!!! thanks in advance!
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 08:27 AM UTC
Neat looking Zero there ,Mike!

Im going to go with what I know about luftwaffe aircraft and say ,RLM 02 was a standard intirior colour..but Im not an expert..
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Heres my entry ..

here is the fuselage,Ill be scribing panel lines and adding rivets ...

Im about finished my panels on the fuselage here ,getting ready to rivet..
BobCard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
Not bad for a first day;
Big thing, not so many parts as an AFV

Have to stop for now, football you know,
Bob
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
ok here we go,looking forward to this one.....

included is some referance material,the decals are wrong for this plane as they put 2 different planes used on the same day together.
the first thing to do is fill and sand the numbers off that were moulded into the plastic.

paul
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thats a good start Bob!
Wow ..moulded on numbers Paul...yeesh...
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hey Todd, I'm doing the BV138 as well.

Quoted Text

I need a bit of help ... studying what few interior photos I can find ... is the interior of the BV138 RLM02?? or am i way off ... the instructions say light olive but that's not giving me a warm fuzzy. Any help is great!!! thanks in advance!

I did some browsing on this as well and I think you are right, RLM02 or 03 is going on mine.

Cheers mate, and heres to a great campaign everybody
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hello All,
First things first, Thank you Chuck for the new thread. I ask him late Saturday night and he got it all ready for the start. My hats off to you.

It looks like we have a good start, Lots of Very Large kits to do. I am wimping out, I am going to attempt to do a Cessna 172 floatplane in 1/48 scale. Not to many parts and a nice small kit.
About my surgery, It is still on. I am treating my Flu the normal way(for me) a Bottle of 30 year old scotch and a Bottle of aspirin. On way or the other I will get that bug.

A Not to all of you who are doing this campaign: You do NOT, repeat, NOT have to put a newspaper with your model to precipitate in this campaign. If you want , Go ahead. If not, Don't.
I will keep checking in till the 9th, Then Jim will take over till I get home. I have full confidence in Jim and I am sure all of you who have ran a campaign will help him as needed.
Thank you in advance for any of your help to Jim,
Cheers,
Bruce

I think that Jim wants to run a campaign called CAS (Close Air support). Maybe all of you can encourage him to do it. It will be a great campaign.
Bruce
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that Jim wants to run a campaign called CAS (Close Air support). Maybe all of you can encourage him to do it. It will be a great campaign.
Bruce

OMG!!..................OMG!!
Half the kits in my stash relate to close air support. Jim PLEASE, PLEASE do this campaign.

Hermon
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 11:39 AM UTC
Oh BRUCE, youre a man after my own heart ......good scotch can practically bring back the DEAD!.....and 30 yr old scotch ...well.....Iv had 25 yr old stuff... an old freind from Cape Breton and I sat and drank half a bottle of 25 one day and all I can say is HOOT MON....
As for a ground support campaign..lets just say tha tI am not opposed to this Idea. I have a fair number of kits in my closet,but unfortunately none of which are what I consider ground support..mabe Ill need someone to recommend a good kit of the Stuka....an early model..and Ill get the ball in motion ..
Id love to be able to scan a photo I have here of a fella from King City here in Canada. Hes standing beside his Tiffy and he looks about 16 ......but the look in this kids eyes ..man ..I would NOT mess with this guy ..tough kid..
By the way Bruce ....anytime ...all you need to do is ask and Ill help you with anything you need Brother
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 12:40 PM UTC
Alright i got to put my hands in the box Excitement!Sorry i dont have a news paper
here in america the media likes to take alot of freedoms so you dont actually get
the whole story so i dont read it or watch it.But here we go,I cant start it just yet
trying to finish my build log on my F4U-1.I will be building a PBY/OA-10A in 1/48TH
from the 4th rescue squadron in Hamilton AFB,California.Not only is this kit MASSIVE
biggest plane ive built yet!But it will be very colorful.Over all the kit actually looks
promising,wish revell would employ alot more of the details and what not into there
other kits.Ok im done ranting.Here you are...........

Build ON,
Justin
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh BRUCE, youre a man after my own heart ......good scotch can practically bring back the DEAD!.....and 30 yr old scotch ...well.....Iv had 25 yr old stuff... an old freind from Cape Breton and I sat and drank half a bottle of 25 one day and all I can say is HOOT MON....
As for a ground support campaign..lets just say tha tI am not opposed to this Idea. I have a fair number of kits in my closet,but unfortunately none of which are what I consider ground support..mabe Ill need someone to recommend a good kit of the Stuka....an early model..and Ill get the ball in motion ..
Id love to be able to scan a photo I have here of a fella from King City here in Canada. Hes standing beside his Tiffy and he looks about 16 ......but the look in this kids eyes ..man ..I would NOT mess with this guy ..tough kid..
By the way Bruce ....anytime ...all you need to do is ask and Ill help you with anything you need Brother

Hello Jim,
Revell puts out a decent early Stuka, Last I look at the website.
If you want, Send me the photo and Miss Mary will scan it and send it to you via E-Mail.
25 Year old scotch is OK, But the 30 year old just slides down nice and easy.
I am fine, The first bottle is gone along with half of bottle of aspirin. Next step get out another bottle and start all over.
Sent a PM to you.
Cheers,
Bruce
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

About my surgery, It is still on. I am treating my Flu the normal way(for me) a Bottle of 30 year old scotch and a Bottle of aspirin. On way or the other I will get that bug.

30 yr old?! If you need some help with that I feel a bit of a sniffle coming on. For colds cooking whisky (or Irish) is enough. Alternatively replace the bottle of aspirin with another bottle of whiskey, it won't cure the cold but you won't care.

Close air support? Eh? I've an AccMin IL-2 flying tank that is itching to get built next year.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 12:34 AM UTC
Close air support? Eh? I've an AccMin IL-2 flying tank that is itching to get built next year.[/quote]

Yes that is a good kit JP ...looks awesome when its done
Im still scribing my fuselage and gearing up to spruce up the intirior on my Stran..
I saw Tamiya puts a Stuka out..and you cant go wrong with them ,but 1:72ski is a bit small for a plane like that I think..needs to be 48 and its a late g model anyways....Ill check Revell..
I just thought of something ...the B-25 was CAS role in the Pacific theater ..coool....
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow ..moulded on numbers Paul...yeesh...

yep this an old kit..........a very old kit!
theres no cockpit at all,not that you could see it anyway and quite a few sink marks , especially on the floats,

paul
discordian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 95 posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Here's what I have.
Not only my first campaign, but my first 1:72 since I was a kid!

Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 04:53 AM UTC
RLM 03?? silver-grey??? hmmmm ... drop of silver in 02 ??? Worth a shot

(Had to hunt down the RLM site just to find out what 03 was ... never heard of it or even seen it referenced b4 )

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Removed by original poster on 11/02/09 - 20:42:15 (GMT).
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

RLM 03 is a gray-green colour.....tamiya and model master make it to spec..

Jim that is wrong!

Todd I would go with an Alu colour (e.g. XF-16) and then flat clear on it to break the metallic shine. I checked Merrick and Ullmann (a ring bound German edition with chips) and both do not have RLM 03 included as paint chips ... I did not re-read the books though.

all the best

Steffen
Removed by original poster on 11/02/09 - 20:40:50 (GMT).
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 08:40 AM UTC

JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC

Here is my update. I have finished scribing the fuselage sides,and now Im sprucing up the intirior. Stringers and ribs first,then Ill work on the pilots seat and controls..
Ill go back over the fuselage and rivet when the fuselage halves are glued.
i found my Stuka...I think..
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 02, 2009 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

RLM 03 is a gray-green colour.....tamiya and model master make it to spec..

Jim that is wrong!

Todd I would go with an Alu colour (e.g. XF-16) and then flat clear on it to break the metallic shine. I checked Merrick and Ullmann (a ring bound German edition with chips) and both do not have RLM 03 included as paint chips ... I did not re-read the books though.

all the best

Steffen

Thanks Steffen ... I'll give that a try and see what it looks like ... I may go with 02 though as its a common interior color .... can't see too much inside any way
 _GOTOTOP