Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: CAS (Close Air Support)
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:49 AM UTC
Howdy, guys!

Y'all did some really nice deeds here. And that is one Suh-Weet Tweety, Damian, btw!!
I know i was kind of absent lately. Had to finish two campaign entries plus i'm active the hard target range, too.
And biggest hinderance of all: she was shot down on a mission over Wok Bench and crashed on Dam It Plains. But she was retrieved soon by a Jolly Green Giant armed with a full load of the newest superglue. Ahem. Sorry.

Here's after spray bay:

Please comment. Thanx
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 09:56 AM UTC
VERY nice toning and camo there Leo..
wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 07:12 PM UTC
Alright then! I finally started making some progress on my kit for this campaign

wrenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Saskatchewan, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 07:16 PM UTC
The cockpit is rather bare as supplied so I've added some Eduard pe, a True Details seat and some scratchbuilt bits from styrene, wire, and Milliput.
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi all,

I've been away for a couple of weeks but have been following the forum - great campaign Jim, a really interesting variety of subjects - I'm gonna have to get one of those A-10s. A mongrel with attitude.

Made some progress on the Sturmovik

Check out the fuel tank in the middle of the cockpit. At least there's some armour around it.

Cheers

Simon
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 11:52 PM UTC
Very nice camouflage job, Leo. You hit the SEA camo right on.

Nice start on your Skyhawk, Ryan. Some really cool improvements to the cockpit.

Good progress, Simon. That fuel tank in the middle has some really nice chipping on it. If I did not know better I would think it was made from metal.

Looking forward to see more.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC
Great details. I'm loving the work you guys are putting into this project. Nice work.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
Im seeing some superb modelling here fellas..
Ive heard stories of Luftwaffe pilots basically emptying their magazines on Sturmovicks, and the darn things were still flying...gotta love armour plating..
eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC

Hi folks,

I'm finally getting around to starting this build.

Here's my IL-2:

@ Simon- Snap! We'll probably be comparing notes on the build, but this will be a relatively slow build for me.

As for the Sturmoviks, they weren't the most elegant or advanced aircraft ever built but they were pretty damn difficult to shoot down. They could take a shedload of punishment- They were the WWII aircraft equivalent of the Top Gear Toyota Hilux/Land Cruiser challenge in terms of indestructibility. You could pretty much taxi them through a quaint English village, stub them into a tree, squeeze them through a gate, leave them overnight on a beach at low tide, drop them off a tower block and even set fire to the b*****ds and they would still probably fly!

Eoin

eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC

Well, as long as you don't set the fire in the extra fuel tank in the cockpit, they would still probably fly!

Eoin
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC
LOL..agreed Eoin..Glad to see you and Simon doing Sturmis ...gotta love em in all their ugly glory!..
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Simon- Snap! We'll probably be comparing notes on the build, but this will be a relatively slow build for me.

Eoin - don't know if you've built one of these before - if you haven't you're in for a treat. Not your typical single engine assembly process so you have to think and test fit - but patience is rewarded.

Simon
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Guys !

Am I Ok to go with a P47D in this Campaign ?

It'll be the Tamiya 1/48 P47D-25 "Bubble-top"

Cheers

Paul
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Paul, we had a lengthy discussion at the beginning about variants on this thread. We have alot of grey areas as far as which aircraft are acceptable.
Officially, the strategy is to showcase aircraft that were purpose built for ground attack and close troop support. ..
We are trying to steer clear of fighter variants if at all possible..but the bottom line at all times is for everyone to have fun!
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 01:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well Paul, we had a lengthy discussion at the beginning about variants on this thread. We have alot of grey areas as far as which aircraft are acceptable.
Officially, the strategy is to showcase aircraft that were purpose built for ground attack and close troop support. ..
We are trying to steer clear of fighter variants if at all possible..but the bottom line at all times is for everyone to have fun!

Thanks Jim,

in that case I may have to give this one a miss. I thought it would be a good opportunity to come over on to Aeroscale and do a Campaign seeing I'm building the P-47 anyway,

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Paul
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The cockpit is rather bare as supplied so I've added some Eduard pe, a True Details seat and some scratchbuilt bits from styrene, wire, and Milliput.

beutiful cockpit!!!
Praktikant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC
Would a Henschel Hs-123 count as CAS plane?
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
According to Wickipedia, this aircraft is "a single seat biplane dive bomber and close support attack aircraft"...so methinks the answer is yes , very CAS
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 06:26 PM UTC
I'm loving all of the Skyraiders and Mohawks in here!

Damian: It's great to see your Tweet in here (sure you're not going to build it into a Dragonfly?)

Jim: Regarding gray areas, would either the O-2 Skymaster or OV-10A Bronco be applicable to this campaign?
If not, I have the old Revell/Monogram A-10, and the Accurate Miniatures P-400 and IL-2.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy..Wikipedia is a great place to check out potential candidate aircraft. The Skymaster looks to be used for observation, and "psychological warfare"...whatever that means..
The others look pretty good as far as CAS roles.
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy..Welcome to the mud movers thread!...Wikipedia is a great place to check out potential candidate aircraft. The Skymaster looks to be used for observation, and "psychological warfare"...whatever that means..
The others look pretty good as far as CAS roles.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 06:31 PM UTC
Jim: I actually do check up on Wikipedia's knowledge base most of the time, and their article regarding the O-2A needs a bit more in the way of information.

Regarding the "psychological warfare", the Skymaster pilots actually dropped explosives by hand in the same fashion that WWI pilots often did. I believe that they used rockets as well. However it sounds like I should steer clear of FAC aircraft and leave the O-2A and OV-10A for another time

I'm pretty new to model aircraft and was wondering what your input on the Monogram A-10 would be. My guess is that it's an old kit from a bygone era of modeling and I would be better off with a newer kit from a different manufacturer. However if it's not a tough kit to build, I wouldn't mind giving it a go. If it isn't, I'm pretty sure I'll be satisfied with the Accurate Miniatures P-400 (read Eduard?). Let me know what you think
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damian: It's great to see your Tweet in here (sure you're not going to build it into a Dragonfly?)

A-37 vs T-37, pretty close to me Jeremy !! I was just looking for an excuse to build another nasty Cessna to go with my 2 x O-2A's that I built for the Boom Boom Campaign.

Cheers, D
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 06:58 PM UTC
I'm liking your taste in aircraft Damian
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
A little more progress, glass and wheel wells done . . .