Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: CAS (Close Air Support)
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Rip, sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but fighter-bombers are not allowed in this campaign. If you check a bit earlier in the thread there was much discussion, but purpose designed CAS aircraft only allowed.

Sorrymate

OOOPS! my bad, I can save this Tbolt for another build nothing done to it yet. I did not read the english ( I am from TEXAS we have a different language) ok! D. lets make this simple give me a short list I do remember talking to you re: locating an At37 for me before the campaign started must be senility setting in.

Just looked at the OV10 Bronco at Squadron for $13.40 USD does this a/c comply? If so I will spend my hard earned cash.

Bob
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC
Major construction is finished and the primer coat is on. As soon as the primer has had a couple days to dry ( I'm using all enamels on this one) I'll preshade everything and lay on the light ghost grey.

Hermon
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC
looking good hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 04:36 PM UTC
Hermon, nice job so far what scheme will you depict?

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 07:15 PM UTC
Hey Hermon, after all of the bad publicity that kit got, you've done a great job getting it together so neat.

Looking really sweet mate.

Cheers, D
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 03:15 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

D, it only looks neat in the pic's. I won't be doing any close-up shots of the finished model.

It's been a long time since I used enamel paints so I was unsure about the drying time, but this morning the primer coat was completely dry. I went ahead and layed on the preshading and I'll start the Light Ghost Grey this afternoon.

[imghttp://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s161/VonCuda/A-10%20Thunderbolt%20II/001-1.jpg?1289747548][/img]

Bob, the markings I'll be using are from SuperScale. I'll be doing the AFRC Test Center bird which is the bottom one on the sheet with the big teeth.

Hermon
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
Ooops! Lemmie try this again.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hermon, it is looking nice the enamels were good to you and was that icon a dig at my teeth. cant wait to see this a/c with those canines.

Bob
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and was that icon a dig at my teeth.
Bob

Nope, but if your new chompers look anything like these decals you may wanna consider going someplace besides the VA for dental work.

Hermon
eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
I'm struggling with the Airbrush (just getting used to it). I'm spraying Revell Aqua Acryllics Light Blue on the underside of the IL-2. I thin the paint out with a bit of water before I spray but after about ten minutes after spraying, the pigments begin to seperate, giving me streaks of both blue and white paints. Any idea of what I'm doin wrong (apart from using Revell acryllics???).

In the end of cut my losses and brush painted the underside. Move on to the camo scheme.

Eoin
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
Eoin, use Revell's specific thinner instead of water.

Bob
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 10:09 AM UTC
Eoin, I've never used Revell acrylics but you may want to try adding a single drop of dish washing liquid to a pint of water. That's my mix for painting with Model Masters acrylics.

As for me, the camo is done. I'm completely pi**ed!
I used Model Masters enamel paints on this one and while they went on beautifully, the two colors are almost exact. The scheme called for Light Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey......and now that the paint is on, there is basically NO difference in the two colors. All that masking and BlueTac for nothing.

The top 2/3 of the fuselage, half of the engine cowlings, and the inner 1/4 of ther wings are Light Ghost Grey and everything else is Dark Ghost Grey. I can't see any difference what so ever.

Ah well......after it's all cured I'll coat it with Future and start the decals.

Hermon
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 01:31 PM UTC
Well VonCuda, I suppose you've achieved what the military only dreams of. Hideing something. Good job.

Jim, I'm sorry. I've de-enlisted. Simply because I've bit off more than I can do, and cannot honestly fulfill the mission. I apologize.
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hermon you could mask and come back in with a darker color
JimMrr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just looked at the OV10 Bronco at Squadron for $13.40 USD does this a/c comply? If so I will spend my hard earned cash.

Bob

Bronco complys no problemo!
@Guy--no worries...life gets in the way sometimes...like it is for me right now also..not much modelling time right now ..
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 02:47 PM UTC
Ok! Jim, thanks for letting me into the campaign now to purchase that kit

@ Hermon: I was thinking the same as Justin, just remask and come back with a shade darker grey.

Bob
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 05:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The scheme called for Light Ghost Grey and Dark Ghost Grey......and now that the paint is on, there is basically NO difference in the two colors.

Hey Hermon, is the Light Ghost Grey too dark, or is the Dark Ghost Grey to light ?

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. I'm with the other guys, chuck a drop or 2 of black in the jar of dark and give it a quick freehand touch up. It's looking great, even though it's your trick photography skills doing that !!

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 07:20 PM UTC
@D, Don't know it that thing will float like a butterfly, but it's gonna sting worse than a bee.

@Hermon, Things might have started going down hill when you loaded the wrong ammo. That stuff is 21mm too small. I looked up Lt Ghost Gray 36375 and Dark Ghost Gray 36320
http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36320+36375&bkgr=0
Sure looks like you could see a difference. Apparently Testors isn't shipping to Federal Standard... I'll try to remember to test on a scrap before I try a couple of paints on some upcoming projects. I've with the rest, add black and try it again.
eoinryan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 232 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC

Hi folks,

Thanks for advice re: Revell acryllics. I got me some Vallejo model air for the camo scheme so it should be fine from there.

Pity about the A-10 Vancuda. Would it be worth re-spraying with slightly stronger contrasting colours? A frustrating weekend at the office but very salvagable!

I was recently painting figures with enamels when I used an enamel thinner on an older enamel paint [the dude in the shop who sold me the paint still denies responsibility!]. It was so old it allagedly used a different chemical formula. Ten minutes after I painted it the whole gd thing oxidised on me! Ruined the figure but I guess it could be a good effect for your Zombie Campaign!

Eoin
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2010 - 01:58 AM UTC
Tough luck about the colours, Hermon. It looks good as it is - a very faded camouflage scheme

I have still not started on my Stuka and I am still strugling with the camouflage choice. Any help on this TOPIC will be highly appreciated.

More info when I get started.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 05:33 AM UTC
I lightened up the Light Ghost Grey and repainted those sections and it is a bit clearer. I have one side of the planes decals on now and she's starting to take shape. The teeth have a few tiny wrinkles but the solv-a-set is still wet and they should disappear after everything is dry.

I'm gonna try and lay down the rest of the decals tonight and get a coat of Future over everything to seal them in. The bombs and rockets will take me another couple of weeks.

Hermon
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hermon, that A10 is looking better each time I vewi it. Those teeth are awsome, wonder what the other guy thought when or if he ever saw them.

Bob
Blueheeler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 03:17 PM UTC
Looking good Hermon, very nice!
You actually inspired me a little to do some more to my A-10. Just needs a little weathering and I'm done.

Any and all comments welcomed
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 04:40 PM UTC
Both are looking good guys keep it up we almost have a squadron
KrisMax
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2010 - 10:11 PM UTC
Here's my Il-2 with the camo colours and gloss coat on ready for decals. Thanks Damian for tip on free hand camo, I'm happy with the outcome.
First time with a 'Future-like' product called Passt. Very glossy, but brushing it on has left some streaks. Hopefully my technique will improve on future models and can be suitably disguised on this one.

Photos courtesy of my soft focus web cam.

Happy modelling

Simon