Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Spitfire/Seafire Campaign
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC
Nice one Michael, can't wait to see it.
All the best.
tim
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 05:02 PM UTC
And, (ta da!) here it is; Israel's first Spitfire:

A mishmash of airframes found in RAF junk yards around the country, the fuselage was basically a Mk. XI with one of the camera ports covered over (I did drill out the other one but the crystal clear isn't dry yet). The nose is made up from various Mk IX's including a straight green/grey engine cowling, a PRU blue side panel from the original fuselage, a midstone/earth side panel from a shot down Egyptian Mk. IX and underside from a straight RAF Mk IX. The wings were C wings with the undersides left in Med. Sea grey and some scavenged gun panels and starboard side fillet left in bare metal. The overall color was an anonymous dark green from wherever they could find paint.

The kit is the Pacific Coast 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc with Skys Decals markings. The color information came from Alex Yoffe's Spitfire Mk IX in IAF Service as well as a conversation with him. A great guy with lots of great information on the early IAF (he's also done books on the Avia and B-17 with the P-51 coming soon).

It's not really weathered like the original (I'm not a big weathering fan), but it sure looks cool! More pictures in the Gallery.

Thanks for the great campaign Tim!!

Michael
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 05:45 PM UTC
@ Phil: I am enjoying your little airforce that you have growing there.

@ Michael: interesting build I like the shade tree machenic look, but I bet that there were many others like it. Nice job.

Bob
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hey Guys !!

It's taken me a little time to get this one going

The basic assembly is finished, as well as the cockpit detail, on this 'Zumbach Vb'. I will use some dust on the cockpit a little later.

The next step is final assembly and priming

Here are some progress pics:

Cheers

Paul
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC
Great finish to your Israeli Spit Michael, how was the kit to assemble. The Pacific Coast kit sure is a lot cheaper to acquire than the Tamiya 1/32 Mk IX. Well done Michael. I do like modelers that know the history of what they are creating.
No worries Phil and welcome to the campaign, excellent progress so far.
All the best.
tim
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 12:02 PM UTC
Tim,

Thanks for your comments! How was it to assemble? Well, let's just say you're paying for something specific when you pay for the Tamiya kit: engineering.

It fought me fairly hard on a number of fronts. In addition to the usual suspects (getting the bulkheads lined up when closing the fuselage, wing to fuselage joint, etc.) the gear wells are tricky to align when putting the wings together and if you don't have that right you'll have a hard time getting the gear legs attached later. The radiator housings are a bear and the windscreen needs some TLC to line up.

But the cockpit interior detail is excellent and the result is pretty nice. It's limited run, basically

Still, I have a few more in the stash with plans to do some further IAF birds. It was time to do this one and I'm glad it's done.

Having two(!) actual finished campaigns under my belt, I'm now ready to run one of my own , so here's an invitation to join me and a few others in the Midway 1942-2012 Campaign in Kitmaker University. It starts on Tuesday (June 7) and runs for a year. Should be a lot of fun and I'd love to have the talent I've seen here get involved. Go Navy!

Again, thanks for the great campaign Tim!

Michael
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 01:57 AM UTC
and my spitfire's finished!
although technically I've completed this campaign, I've still got three spits not quite finished, that will now stay that way for a while because I'm going back to the kit I was building, that ended up on the back burner so I could get this campaign done.

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 09:00 PM UTC
Nice one Phil and well done on completing.
Michael I would love to join the Midway Campaign if I have time. I fancied build a Helldiver, but I don't think they were involved. So a Dauntless will be my choice.
All the best.
tim
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 04:47 PM UTC
My academy 1/72 Spitfire 14 in progress. Just need to put up the landing gear, prop and canopy..

IdiotStick
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 - 04:59 AM UTC
Here is my entry for the Spitfire campaign. It is the new/old Airfix Spitfire MkI in 1/48. I have added some lovely bits from Ultracast (seat, propeller, exhausts. wheels). This kit was built as part of our clubs annual 12 hour build. I used the old Eduard express mask camo pattern to speed things along. The kit was started and finished(?) in 12 straight hours.

Decaling under way

I had an Ultracast door to add but the canopy requires replacement to have it in the open postion, so it was left closed.

Photos are taken with my Blackberry.
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 06:05 AM UTC
My completed Spit. I just completed it this afternoon together with my F-104G.

spitfirepr1v
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 09:45 AM UTC
Straight OOB Airfix MkII nearly done. Sorry Tim didn't start photo record until now ! Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi all.
Great late flourish from Ken, Steve and Rich. Amazing build Steve and done inside twelve hours.
The Academy Spit looks superb Ken, particularly with its load of rockets.
No worries Rich, look forward to seeing your finished Spit .
Just a reminder this campaign closes at the end of this month [June]. If you have not already, please post your finished build images on the gallery site for your ribbon.
All the best.
tim
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 11:02 AM UTC
I've managed to finish another of my spitfires!
due to the fact i may or may not buy some after market undercarriage legs for my ongoing manchester conversion, i got my finger out and finished this while i make a decision.

its an airfix spitfire Mk IIa from the battle of britain memorial flight set, and i should get to see it in the flesh next week at the RAF waddington airshow.

good times!
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Not long to go now !!

I'm applying decals to my Vb...

Pic's soon

Cheers

Paul
Removed by original poster on 06/25/11 - 15:09:38 (GMT).
spitfirepr1v
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 04:13 AM UTC
Well here it is at last; after 30 years my first Airfix kit, memories of Saturday afternoons and the kitchen table, Happy Days.I am now back in the saddle and my Spit PR IV tropical is under way. Thanks for the "push " Tim.

litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
Superb looking Spit Rich, I can't believe that's your first build in 30 years!!!!!!! Welcome back my friend. Don't forget to put an image or two in the campaign gallery.
Mentioning the gallery, there are 17 fantastic looking Spits there at the moment. Worth your while to have a look.
All the best.
tim
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 01:55 PM UTC
G'day guys !!

More progress on the Vb.

Paint on.

Decals on.

Next detail painting, adding the missing bits, and a satin clearcoat.... and weathering ..

Won't be long now

Here is where I'm at :

Cheers

Paul
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hi all.
I have just a few things to sort out on my PrXIX contra prop. Amazing the motivation an approaching deadline creates. Just need to paint and weather the exhaust, add serial numbers, yellow tips on the props, rear wheel needs adding, navigation lights, etc. Don't forget this campaign ends this month.
All the best.
tim

vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 12:15 PM UTC
I'm going to have to pull out of this campaign as rl won't let me finish it by the end date.

I took a quick look through the gallery and it is indeed full of nice builds, some of them quite outstanding. Great work everyone, and Paul you better get your Spit in the gallery with it being that close bud
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work everyone, and Paul you better get your Spit in the gallery with it being that close bud

Just the extended rear vision mirror to attach to the cockpit frame, and I'm done.

Weathering done.

Cockpit unmasked

All the little bits added

Pics of the finished build soon

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC
I'm calling this one done.

This Campaign has been a lot of fun, I'll be building more "Wingy things" and I certianly hope to improve my techniques on these

Some pics :

Pics also in the Gallery,

Cheers

Paul
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:56 AM UTC
Excellent Spit Paul, very nicely finished. Hope to see some more of your wingy things in some of the other Aeroscale campaigns.Thanks for participating.
All the best.
tim
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi all.
Finished my PR XIX with contra prop this morning. Really enjoyed the build from the Academy 1/48 kit and also seeing the images of PS890 and seeing it in the flesh.
All the best.
tim