Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICAL: Camm-paign, Sir Sydney Camm Campaign
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 03:03 AM UTC
Finally starting to get bits of free time here and there, so some progress is being made on my large backlog of builds.

The fuselage is glued up on the Tempest, next step is to finish off the cowl front and then start on the cockpit (which will be inserted from the bottom).

Special Hobby Tempest MkII by mawz_models, on Flickr
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC
Good progress guys. I'm getting sidetracked by other builds and gardening but I'm hopeful of an April start.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 10:14 AM UTC
I picked up a Hawker Hunter FGA9 today for this campaign. It's the old Airfix 1/72, I got it cheap and I'm quite happy.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC

And here she is. I have no idea how I want to finish her yet so I'll need to do some research first. It'll be a while before I begin construction.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 10:38 AM UTC
OK pulled my finger out and got some bench time (well put together at a show I attended with my local IPMS club)

I was going to go the Hurricane route but changed that to a Harrier at the last minute.

Note the Aeroclub pilot who has had his legs cut off below the knee's to fit.

Found some issues with the normally good Revell instructions like the out riggers not being mentioned if depicted raised and the pylon although on the sprue and holes in place is not mentioned for the out rigger station seen on RAF Harriers.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 11:31 PM UTC
Wow some great builds going on here.

Unfortunately there has been no progress on mine as we are moving house in the next month so I've put modelling on the back burner to start some of the packing. As my build is barely started I've decided to pack it away until we have moved and it will be the first one on the bench once the bench has relocated to the new house (Allen insists this will be the first thing in the house )

I will keep checking in though
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
Hey guys, I'm trying to find out a typical loadout for an Iraqi Hunter F.Mk.59 during either the Six Day War or the Yom Kippour War, anyone have any good leads on that?
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2011 - 02:25 PM UTC
I had some time so I installed the wing.

Hobbycraft Hurricane Mk. II

Bob
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 10:27 PM UTC
Greetings one and all!

Here is a progress shot of my oh-so-close-to-finished Hawker Typhoon from WW2. You remember, the one the tails fell of of before they rivetted steel plates around the back of the fuselage.. Not one of Sydney's more successful designs in its initial form.

It is Revell's ancient 1/32 planes I have had in the stash for about 10 years now. The fit is surprisingly good but the detail in the cockpit etc isn't up to more modern kits. The molds are starting to show their age in places with some parts having unusual formations on the edges that have to be removed.

Keep up the good work guys and gals.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
These 2 photos are the last before the end

Cheers Nick
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 04:18 PM UTC
Greetings fellow Camm-paigners.

Here is my ancient Revell 1/32 Hawker Typhoon IB. This one was first produced way back in the dim0dark days of the cold war, 1960's I believe. Not bad fit but the detail is a little lacking compared to the modern big scale kits.

Now, this model is not 100% historically accurate.. no where near actually... I built the kit and painted all the nice camo on. Then I tried to use the suplied decals for the yellow stripes and the ones for the leading edges didn't work at all. So I went off and masked it all up and painted the nice bright yellow stripes on. Came out well with no bleeding anywhere.

Then I went to put some of the other decals on and they started to disintergrate before I had even finished placing them on the model.. darn I thought (well maybe not darn).. Luckily I had a set of decals I had bought a while ago from Aviology for this beast. I did not want to paint over the nice stripes so I used some artistic license and decided to leave them there.

So after I started applying the decals I noticed that not all Mk IB Typhoons where created equal and there was a different in the canopies and the props. Big differences... like one prop having three blades (like the kit one) and one having four blades (like the ones the decals were designed for). Then the one I had had the car door type canopy and the one for the decals had a bubble canopy.

So, to recap, the decals don't really belong on the aircraft, but I like it anyway.. Another thing is the debate as too whether the maw of the shark marking should be red or not.. I came down on the side who says it was the same as the camo colours applied.

SO there you go, it may not be 100% accurate but I like it anyway..
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 01:19 AM UTC
Well, it looks like the Special Hobby Tempest Mk.II might have been a little more work than is ideal in a first multimedia kit.

So I'm sure to finish something during this build, I picked up a second Tempest, this time the Academy Mk V. 1/72 of course. Going to build this one alongside the Mk.II. It looks like a nice little kit and lacks the resin fit issues of the otherwise gorgeous SH kit.

Pics to come later tonight.

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 02:55 PM UTC
The Tempest Mk.II is still moving forward, slowly.

Special Hobby Tempest Mk II 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I'll post the start pic for the MK.V shortly.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:31 PM UTC
Nick great looking Hurricane. Warren, the Typhoon looks great as well. Russell
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 05:23 PM UTC
And the official start pic for the Tempest Mk.V

Academy Tempest Mk.V by mawz_models, on Flickr
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
Nice one Warren. First as ever! Never let historical accuracy get in the way of a colourful build.

I've not even lifted the Fury out of the box yet.

Sorry I've not been giving this campaign attention, been a busy few weeks for me but glad you see you all making progress.

Here's to Nick, Bob and Adam for keep it moving

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 08:28 AM UTC
Well JP it was either that or buy another Typhoon just for the decals which may have disintegrated just like the first ones.

Or I could have painted over those lovely yellow stripes on the wings and the band around the tail, and the invasion stripes under the wings, but as you said, never let historical accuracy stand in the way of a plausible build...
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hello all, my name is Sebastian. Reading the forums posts already for quite a time. I think I can hardly cope with the high standards here but just give me a try...

For a start I decided to take part in the Camm-Paign with another Hunter.
The kit is Revell´s superb 1:72 kit. Detail and fit is awesome...

I started the kit yesterday. Building is great fun!

I think I will make a British Hunter. Or Swiss? No, British. Or Swiss...? Don´t know...

Keep on building!
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC
I have to profess my jealousy, that's the kit I wanted to get but I couldn't source it locally.

I believe the Swiss models could carry Maverick AGM's? If I'm right in that then I'd vote for one of those.
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
FINISHED

Cheers Nick
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
@ Sebastian: make 1/2 UK and 1/2 Swiss

@ Nick: no fair I just put the canopy on Hurricane

Bob
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hello!

I have made some progress so far. Sanding is almost done. Next step is rescribing the panellines.

@Alcatraz, Bob:
I think I will ask my profile for some arguments pro/con Swiss/British before sleeping...

Bye!
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all, my name is Sebastian. Reading the forums posts already for quite a time. I think I can hardly cope with the high standards here but just give me a try...

You gotta be friggin kiddin me, man!!! You DID see that Bundesmarine Starfighter you finished the other weekend yourself?!! Next time you stop by me I'll toss you around a bit Bring it on, my friend, wanna see that hunter finished before our next session!

As for all the other birds around here: real nice, guys. That 32 Typhoon got recessed panels btw? Hope Hasegawa or Tamiya will do some of their wonders on that beast.

Carry on, I'll be watching!
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC

Greetings, everyone.

I started building an Airfix 1/48 Hurricane about a week ago, but only now found out about this campaign. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 04:40 PM UTC
The Tempest Mk.V is starting to come together

Academy Tempest Mk V 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Should have it closed up soon, just need to get a little while to get the Radiator in place. Gotta say I'm impressed with these Academy kits, never built them before but I'm doing their CF-18A for another group build (also 1/72) and I'm seriously liking both kits. Well engineered, well detailed and very reasonably priced.