Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICAL: Camm-paign, Sir Sydney Camm Campaign
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 11:02 PM UTC
@Aussie: I find to that the locating pins can actually throw the alignment of the kit parts out completely too, if I'm having trouble with a particular item I do as you do and remove the offending article. I've also found a little work around the pin with a new scalpel blade can also work wonders. Time and patience are the keys to working with older kits and I enjoy the challenge they represent to making it all go together well and get it looking awesome! keep up the outstanding work D.!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 04:28 PM UTC
Nice progress, Damian. Looking forward to see it with markings on.

I have started on my Matchbox Harrier mk. I. I am planning to make it in US winter camouflage to get a nice contrast in the camouflage colours.

Pictures to follow soon.
flyboy92187
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 05:01 AM UTC
I look forward to seeing that Jesper!!
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 05:53 PM UTC
Well my 1/32nd scale Hunter has arrived from overseas I wonder if it's to late to start it for the campaign?
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 09:51 PM UTC
Markings are on !

The decals are quite old and I had some separating as I applied them, but with generous use of water and softener I got them pretty close.

Almost there now.

Quoted Text

Well my 1/32nd scale Hunter has arrived from overseas I wonder if it's to late to start it for the campaign?

Don't be shy Chris, fire it up mate !
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 11:16 PM UTC
@Aussie: I think I'll wait and find a campaign where I have time to do it justice, something this big deserves to be lavished with attention and researched properly. But I've looked through the box and I like what I see, well detailed without being overly complicated to build and it should look stunning when finished. If you'd like to see pics of the kit I'll post some up?
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hello all,

some nice entries have been added here!

@ Damian: Wow! Nice blue finish!

@ Michael: Congratulations to your finished Harrier! Having off a whole weekend... I really envy you for that ! That brings modelling projects forward!

@ Chris: as I already missed the opportunity: please build a Swiss Hunter! Maybe we should kick off a Swiss Air Force campaign?

Servus,

Sebastian

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:41 PM UTC
@Sebastian: Sounds good to me! I've always liked the idea of one nations aircraft wearing the colours of another. I'll just have to find some 1/32nd scale decals for my Hunter! I second the Swiss Air force campaign ..... I see so many opportunities in my stash LOL! But first and foremost one big and beautiful Hunter!

The first picture is of Revells hunter the second is the current Chaos that is my bench! If anyone can point me in the direction of decals for a Swiss hunter?
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:47 PM UTC
@Damian: Nice work on that Sea Fury fella! I've always loved the Sea Fury the Pacific coast models 1/32nd scale kit is on my WANT list all that Hawker aggression in one very lovely resin package! I can't wait to see it finished! And you're doing a wonderful job with it!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 03:58 AM UTC
Chris, Great kit you have choosen. It goes together perfect and really looks stunning when finished.
I have build this kit in another boxing that included the swiss markings. Let me see if I can track those down for you in my spares box. I think it will be a complete set.

Damian, nice finish! Looking forward to see more.

I have now started on my entry. The Matchbox Harrier. A nice little kit that flew together. More to follow.

Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
@ Chris: Nice to see that Hunter as a Revell/Monogram issue. I know the the Revell of Germany issue. That´s a workbench of a very busy modeler . Alot of finished or semi-finished projects which I can see on it. What about that Mistel on the left (yes, I know, )?

BTW: the longer I am thinking about, the more I like the idea about a Swiss "Flugwaffe" campaign. The Swiss Air Force has flown a lot of stuff over the past years like Mirage, De Havilland Venom, Mustangs, Me-109s, BAe Hawk, F-18, Hunter (of course...)
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 05:28 AM UTC
@Sebastian: The Mistel is Airfix's and was completed till it leapt off the bench during one of our earthquakes. I must admit to having a very large soft spot for Mistels. Airfix's kit uses the Pioneer Models Ta154 and the Airfix Fw190, as we all know the Pioneer kit is of very poor fit but I've built a couple and have worked out how to make it go together (Very thin super glue and kicker). Mistel campaign anyone? (Can be any composite aircraft up to and including the Shuttle on it's 747 carrier!) yes Sebastian I've got a classic Airframes Venom with Swiss decals as well as a Hobbycraft Morraine saulnier Ms406 and some Ventura decals for a Swiss Mustang and a couple of Me109's! So plenty to work with, I think I even have some decals for an impressed B17 somewhere?

@jesper: That would be awesome! I've found a set of decals on EvilBay but if you've got a set you'd be willing to part with I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands! That Matchbox harrier looks like a wee cutie and the fit looks outstanding! I must admit to not being a fan of the guy who did the panel lines (More like trenches ) but I do like their kits, simple, accurate and excellent fit for the most part!
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:06 AM UTC
We have some colour on the Fury

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:07 AM UTC
Chris, I agree with you on the Matchbox kits. Not the most exquisite details But usually nice and uncomplicated builds that take you down memory lane. I often do a Matchbox kit while working on something bigger. In this case the Monogram 1/48 F-14.

I found the decals in my stash. They have been kept there dry and out of sunlight, so I think they are in great shape. It even seems like the full Swiss stencilling is there. Even for the Maverick missiles.
If you want it, it is yours. Just let me know and PM your postal address to me.

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
@Jesper: Yes please! I'll send a PM through with my postal and my thanks for your generosity! Would you also still have the kit instructions showing where all those wonderful stencils and markings go? I've looked at Revell's website and they don't show any instruction sheets for it.

@Sebastian: Okay fella we're all set for the Swiss hunter on the Swiss Air Force build, all we now is to get the campaign rules sorted and get it past the Admins! Seems I have to go sort out some research on Swiss Hunters!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Jesper: Yes please! I'll send a PM through with my postal and my thanks for your generosity! Would you also still have the kit instructions showing where all those wonderful stencils and markings go?

Chris, glad to be of help. A good way of giving back something to the kitmaker community. I have myself been helped with decals and received decals in the past. In fact my corrent F-14 is being made with decals donated from another member of this site.

Sorry. The instructions are long gone. I am sure that the placement of the main markings can easily be found on pictures of the real thing.
The stencilling will need some major research or access to the instructions from somewhere on the web.

The decals will go out on monday. Hope you like them
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 03:58 PM UTC
@Jesper: No doubt about it I know I will and I'm already scrounging for info on the stencilling of Swiss Hunters. I want to do Sebastian Proud! LOL
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 03:59 PM UTC
@Sam: Nice work on the Fury! I can almost hear that radial growl!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hey Chris, Sam has the Revell 32nd Hunter in her stash with the Swiss markings. PM me your email address and I'll get them scanned for you this week.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:16 AM UTC
Hi all

is there still room for a late entry? after my Spit XII I grabbed my fabric wing Hurricane from the stash and fighting my way through it for the past 1-2 weeks. It is one of the better CA kits (no wonder it is more or less a copy of the Hasegawa for most of the parts) .. so I think I can make it in two more weeks...

cockpi (seat belts Eduard and probably wrong type but better than none)

actual state:

all the best

Steffen
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
@Steffen: Of course always room for one more and I do like CA kits, the Hurricane looks awesome, nicely done!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 04:11 AM UTC
Thanks Chris .. I build this kit anyway, but a campaign deadline is a bit of motivation (sometimes) ...

some hours of work and it looks like this (pretty good day for me and my glacial building speed)

all the best

Steffen
P.S. the Dk. Earth is a flat paint while the green is (semi) gloss .. thus the earth looks a bit light in comparison
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 06:38 AM UTC
Apologies all for not being online this last two weeks. Been camping/drowning in Northumbria for that time. Must admit to missing/enjoying not having internet. But it doesn't look like you guys missed me! Excellent work, just skimming over the thread.

@Steffen your pace may be glacial, but mine is positively tectonic at the minute. Only one way to solve that. Good to see you still pushing out the builds.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 07:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Steffen your pace may be glacial, but mine is positively tectonic at the minute. Only one way to solve that. Good to see you still pushing out the builds.

Thanks J-P! after some months of settlement i finally can think of some modelling again (I had to work down my pile of articles for the IPMS Website first) Now I have a job, fun in modelling and looking forward to visit a few shows (including Telford )

all the best

Steffen
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 03:10 PM UTC
Steffen it's great to see you back in action here. Lovely work on the Hurri so far as well !

Jesper, you really love those little Matchbox kits don't you, great work so far mate.

Camo, very nice progress on your Fury as well, your work rate has gone up a lot recently hsn't it?

Chris, I'm loving your workbench ! There's even more chaos there than on mine.

I hope to put the finishing touches on the Aussie Sea Fury tonight, just yellow tips on the props and a couple of touch-ups and she's done !

Cheers, D