Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICAL: Camm-paign, Sir Sydney Camm Campaign
Removed by original poster on 04/21/11 - 02:19:37 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 04/21/11 - 02:26:11 (GMT).
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 03:29 PM UTC

Here is the first picture of my Airfix 1/48 Hurricane. I'm just figuring out how to post pictures.

I'll provide more information/descriptions on subsequent posts.

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 03:57 PM UTC
And basic assembly is complete

Academy Tempest Mk V 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Next step is filling, there's a little bit to do at the wing seams, but not much.
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 01:42 AM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscale and the Camm-paign Richard.

Porco-Rosso, great choice of avatar.

Looks a nice clean finish you have there.

Nick, that one sure was used and abused. Top work.

Welcome too to Sebastian. Lovely lines to the hunter so glad to see it here.

Buttoned up Adam!

Right you all I'll be breaking out the Fury tonight you are motivating me no end.

Keep it lit.

JP
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 - 11:23 PM UTC
Well I have to give thanks and kudos to the local Australian Hasegawa agent (Toy Traders based in Sydney). I made a phone call and described my problem (a part missing off one of the sprues). The very helpful staff took the kit and sprue details, my details, and a few weeks later and entire new sprue arrived in the mail. Very impressive customer service.

Now I have no excuses though, do I
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 03:51 PM UTC
Well the Mk V is essentially ready for paint now. The filling's pretty much done

Academy Tempest Mk V 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I'm just waiting on my P-40M to catch up so I can assembly-line the paint job. I've got 5 models currently in progress which will be getting TLS plus a Mosquito which gets the same top-side colours so I'd like to get as many hitting the paint shop at the same time as possible.

The Mk II isn't so far along, but it is moving

Special Hobby Tempest MkII 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

This is my first time working with Resin or PE and getting the casting block off the gear bays without destroying them is proving to be a little interesting. Probably should just use a dremel. Due to this and a fit issue in the cockpit (one of the sidewalls has a casting flaw which affects the fit of the instrument panel) this kit's moving just a little slowly.
Removed by original poster on 04/26/11 - 15:29:11 (GMT).
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 04:34 AM UTC
Here are some pictures of my progress on my Airfix 1/48 Hurricane

A view of the underside painted Sky using a mix of Gamesworkshop acrylics. I highly recommend these paints, especially for painting by brush. The paint bottles have a very good flip top which provides a very good seal, and never gets stuck.

A view of the topside using Tamiya acrylics - I guess I didn't stir the green well enough - it came out a bit glossy. Not to worry as I intend on overcoating with a matt finish.

A view of the underside with decals. This close-up is the best representation of the Sky colour.

Another view of the underside, with Airfix's instruction sheet - for the record.

To follow - decalling of the top side and eventual completed kit.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC
Here's an update as to where I am with the Airfix Hunter. It's definitely not as good a quality as the Revell kit; there's some major gaps in the wing roots and the flaps. I'm working on it, though slowly as I have other campaigns with more pressing deadlines on my plate.

It's a long beautiful plane and I'm hoping the Airfix kit does it justice. The white along both wings is Vallejo Modelling Putty which is a vast improvement over the Revell stuff I was using before. It takes a bit longer to dry for ease of manipulation and can be wiped away with water which is great.

For quite a while after fixing on the wings I became convinced that the right wing was drooping a little lower than the left, I'm still suspect actually. It may be an optical illusion however; when looking at the aircraft head on the pilot is actually leaning to one side slightly and I think he may be throwing off my perception of the layout.

Anyone else ever had odd experiences like that?

Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi, Alcatraz -

Looks good - it is coming along nicely. The Hunter has beautiful lines. When checking alignment of flying surface I line one set up on something I know is straight and check it that way. Eyes can play tricks on us. In this case you may be right although can't tell from your photo.

I'm working on an Airfix Hurricane - see above - the tail on it has a definite lean to the left.

As for the decals they may be a little brittle, but careful handling and decal softening solution helps a lot. I cut away as much of the clear carrier film as I could.

Good luck with the rest of the build. Cheers, Bink123.
ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
G'day Guys !

I'm in with the Hasegawa Typhoon 1B w/Tear Drop Canopy in 1/48 scale.

I have a couple of AM bits and some masks on the way

Cheers

Paul
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hello!

Time for a update. I have had time to push the Hunter a little bit forward.
But lets make it short:
After sanding and engraving I put a coat of primer on the model and then I sprayed Revell Aqua Color Hellgrau 371. A good match for Light Aircraft Grey I think. I tried to make a preshading effect by brushing thinned dark grey paint along the panel lines:

Then masking started for applying Revell Aqua Color Blaugrau 79 in different shades:

This prepared the stage for masking before applying some good old Revell Aqua Color Bronzegrün 65. There is nothing like the distinctive smell of Humbrol Maskol. Keep away from pets, children and girlfriends...

The result:

More pix will follow.

Sebastian
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hello, me again.

Yesterday I put gloss clear cote on my Hunter. Applying an oil wash at the moment. I am really looking forward to putting the decals on ! On weekend I think...

Servus!
Removed by original poster on 05/15/11 - 19:53:25 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/15/11 - 19:57:57 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 05/15/11 - 20:05:18 (GMT).
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
Here are the final pictures of my Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I.

It is an aircraft of No. 32 Squadron, RAF, Biggin Hill and Hawkinge, July 1940.

The pictures below show the exhaust stain weathering I applied - I don't usually do much weathering but I was inspired by the profound dirtiness of the Hurrcanes as seen in the Battle of Britain movie.

Airfix didn't mold in the shell ejection tubes so i added black decal on the lower wing surfaces. I added weathering here as well.

All in all I enjoyed the build, the raised panel lines didn't bother me much, except that they complicated the weathering process.

I sincerely hope Airfix does a new tooling of the Hurricane and other Hawker WW2 fighters. I heard their new Spitfire is very good. I wasn't much of a Hurricane fan until I built this one. They really are a beast. Solid and workmanlike. I built a Monogram Hurricane Mk. II decades ago, and it was the best back then. I'd like to build a Malta Hurricane, but there aren't many Hurricane kits on the market right now, and No Mk.II's at all.

Thanks, Airfix, it was a blast putting your kit together. Good luck for the future.

Bink.

Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 02:02 AM UTC
Man, MiddleFranconian, you really breezed through that build, did you? Really love the way you handle Revell Aqua colours and always manage to find the right shade.

Looking forward to see more of your Hunter!!!
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:58 PM UTC
Great work folks, between holidays, computer issues, and gardening I've been neglecting you lot again. Doesn't look like you need any encouragement. That Hurricane is great. And a lovely paint job on that hunter.

I sprayed some paint for the first time in weeks last night so I'm itching to get the Hawker Fury started.
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC
It must be fast build.

This is 1/72 Academy Hurricane Mk.IIC. It painted Gunze paints.

Some progress pictures.

And finish.

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 10:30 PM UTC
Hi Guys
Well I thought it about time to join in on a group build and who better to start with than Sir Sydney Camm? I've decided to do the Eduard Tempest in 1/48 scale and deck it out as the personal aircraft of Wing Commander Evan "Rosie" Mackie RNZAF.
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hello!

@ Ayhan: Nice Hurricane, I especially like the free hand airbrush painting.
@ Chris: Cool! Can you say something about the qualtiy of this kit? I have never seen one.

In the meantime I have finished my Hawker Hunter FGA.9. As a conclusion I have to say that this kit is among the Top 10 of my built kits. Perfect in detail, good fit of the parts and nice decals. Maybe I will build a Swiss one later. Or Dutch or Belgian or Danish or...

Here are the pics:

Compared with a BAC Lightning:

Servus,

Sebastian
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
Wow! I thought what scale is that hunter, until I saw your hands. Either you suffer from giantism or that is a lovely little hunter.
vertigo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 225 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 11:00 AM UTC
That Hunter is looking amazing, absolutely stunning. I can only hope mine turns out as nicely.