Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: P-40, Work Horse of WWII Campaign
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eetu, looking forward to pics of your progress, hopefully the thinner will get things going for you.

Now did the Lifecolor thinner make a difference or what. What a humongous difference! Sprayed so nicely I had a hard time believing it was the same paint I was using. Everything worked super smootly and the thinner also seemed to drastically reduce the paint drying at the needle tip.
I was told on another forum that it also works with other acrylic paints like Vallejo, Mr. Hobby and Xtracrylix. I've got to try it out.

Camo done. I've still got to touch up and refine a few spots along the nose demarcation line and one stabilizer underside. Then it's time to remove the masking tape from the yewllow eastern front markings and spray on some Future for the decals.

ppawlak1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 - 04:59 PM UTC
I'm calling this one one

It needs a little more work to tone down the yellow and blend some other colors, but I'll leave it as it is ...

Thanks all for the great posts and awesome campaign - I'm starting to like these "Wingy things:.

BTW: I've also posted pic's in the Campaign Gallery

Cheers

Paul
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2011 - 10:37 PM UTC
I must want my head looking at but as end date is now end of Sept Im in with this one. Dug it out the stash today the only thing done to it previously was canopy masked (I think I was just playing with the express masks) and the wings removed from the sprues.

The resin cockpit was messed up and binned many years ago and this got dumped in the statsh and forgotten about until I found it unpacking, so it will be OOB with no resin cockpit and no etch (well apart from the seat harness)

Hope you dont mind a very late sign up from me but Im sure I will get it done in time. I seem to be on a roll with kit building lately

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 02:08 AM UTC
Eetu, great news with the paint, I'm glad you've found the right formula !

Paul, face it mate, you're hooked ! Congrats on another fine "wingy-thingy" build and thanks for sharing your work with us.

Camo, welcome aboard. Good luck with your speed build on the Eduard kit.

I have some more paint and decals to do on my Tamiya F-16, then this build gets my full attention.

Cheers, D
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2011 - 10:59 AM UTC
Well this is after a couple of hours working on it today, need to add seat harness, control column, fill and sand then onto the priming

possibly not my best work but Im sure once its sanded and primed it will look better
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eetu, great news with the paint, I'm glad you've found the right formula !

This is the stuff. Tried it with Vallejos yesterday. Worked great for them too!

My bird's coming along nicely. Decals are on.

eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 05:07 PM UTC
Progress update. upper and lower side paint job finished.

eMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 1,182 posts
AeroScale: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 06:52 PM UTC
Done. Eduard 1/48 P-40N Warhawk, "Joanne 49" 89th fighter squadron, 80th fighter group, bases stationed on Karachi, India from 28 June 1943 to October 1943.

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 05:58 PM UTC
Greetings everyone,

Nice work on your projects. Since there is an extension I will attempt to complete a 1/48 AMT kit of P-40K in USAAC markings from the MTO.

All the best,
Brian
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 05:22 PM UTC
I have finally figured out how to upload the photo to the gallery, still need to learn now to take a decent photo with this borrowed point and shoot. Due hope that the powers that be accept my almost finished Finnish P-40. Too many other projects on the go and this one almost go away from me. The canopy is sitting in front of the a/c.Will try and fix the photo.
Removed by original poster on 09/01/11 - 06:18:03 (GMT).
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 07:24 PM UTC
Here is my almost finished Finish P-40 just learned that I have till the end of the month to finish this puppy.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
NIce work Trevor! Good to see another Finnish P-40 in the works
I have a feeling you might have mentioned it already somewhere down the thread, but what brand kit is that you're building? It's 1:48 scale, right?
From what I can tell from the pic, it's not the Hasegawa FAF boxing, correct?

Now I know this is kind of in the nitpicking area, but the sole P-40M operated by the Finnish air force had the registry code KH-51. I wouldn't worry about it though, especially if you've already sealed the decals. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I hope to get mine done soon as well.

Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
It is the old Otaki kit, thought that I was running out of time so I cancelled the Japanese version to the Finnish. I did know of the only official documented Finnish a/c. Though we all know it could be possible. The coding does follow protocol and I am happy with it Getting up my nerve in doing the multi coloured Bf 109. Thanks for your comment, greatly appreciated. Just to let you know after I placed on the satin coat it went funny so I am in the process of redoing the coats.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 03:34 AM UTC
Sure, absolutely. I think that the most important thing is that the builder is happy with the model. Naturally, that's plausible and the coding is following the Air Force regulations.
Btw, did the Otaki kit come with the Finnish markings are they sourced from elsewhere?

Sorry to hear about your satin coat troubles. How did it go funnny? Hope it's nothing serious.

Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC
Over the years I have collected decals and books, so I have lots of both. Though with this selection it came from a has kit. As for the Hum satin I got waves when applied, sections where it never went satin and other weird stuff. It happens ever so often. Either a contaminate in the thinner, something on the surface which was masked by the gloss or other. Usually by re glossing it eliminates the problem. Slowly becoming better in my finishing/painting applications. Over the years I have become more exigent and it shows in the finished project. It has taken me some time to get the process down to a science. I am no master builder, far from it. What draws me to a particular a/c is the paint scheme and more colourful the better. One reason why I usually just build luft, the boundaries are limitless. While I have your attention was there a regulation which stated the min width of the theatre band? The rdv did.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While I have your attention was there a regulation which stated the min width of the theatre band? The rdv did.

Indeed there was. The orders for painting the yellow eastern front markings called for a 50cm wide fuselage band and the undersides of wing tips with the width of one sixth of the total wing span of the aircraft in question.
The nose/cowling band of single-engined fighter aircraft was usually either 50 or 75cm. On some aircraft types the whole cowling was painted yellow (e.g. Brewsters, wasp-engined Fokkers, Gloster Gladiators, etc).

But as usual, when there's regulations, there's also exceptions. Aircraft painted at the state aircraft factory usually conformed to the regulations rather strictly, while front line units tended to display more artistic liberty.
In wartime photos one can see both too wide and thin fuselage bands, in varying locations along the fuselage. Registry codes were sometimes simply masked over prior to painting the band, leaving a gap. There's also photos showing registry codes partially covered by the fuselage band.

camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 07:50 AM UTC
Ive managed to get some more done today. Plane is now pannel lined, grey and green on and decaled Just need to attached all the bits and pieces U/C and canopy then ready for dullcoating Bring on the weekend

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 05:45 PM UTC
Sam,

Great job on the {'Kiwi'} New Zealand AF build in such a short time.

Posted 2 pix of my P40k of 'Hyde's Harlot' in the Gallery.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 02:59 PM UTC
Nice finish, Sam. Very colourful decals. Can we have a close up of the engine cowling? Are those kills markings....
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
Greetings everyone,

Nice work on the various builds. In keeping with the pace of things I will start my AMT P-40K tonight after the kids are asleep. I hope I can cut off the tail and replace it without to much trouble. I recall the plastic has very soft consistency. More to follow.

All the best,
Brian

bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 05:40 PM UTC
Greetings everyone,

Yep, the plastic is soft and maybe a little warped (or it could be me anyway I have most of it assembled and I sprayed some paint on to help reveal the flaws better on some parts. Here is the pictures so far with some issues I created and whats been done so far. I want to add a 500lb. bomb to the centerline since the 57th FG primary role was Fighter/Bomber. Oh. forgot to mention I filled in the outer wing holes (for extra bomb racks) with round stock and sanded them smooth as well.

All the best,
Brian

Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 06:58 PM UTC
Hey! D.
I see you are keeping everyone hard at work by all of the beautiful P-40's that I see. Brian what is you process in attaching the arrows and descriptions? The K is looking good.

Bob
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian what is you process in attaching the arrows and descriptions? The K is looking good.

Bob

Greetings Bob,

I used the "paint" program. If your not familiar with it click on "Start" Button (lower left of the screen) then click "all programs" then click on "accessories" and then click "paint" You can create a shortcut to it as well on your desktop icons.

You can transfer any image you have stored on your computer and play with it. It's not photoshop by any means, paint is very basic with only a handful of applications. Just fine for doing things like the in progress photos.

All the best,
Brian
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
Paint.Net is a better version of paint and does some of the tricks that photoshop can do as well. and the plus side is it's free