Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: What If? Campaign Thread
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 01:48 AM UTC
Rob, that's looking very believable. I love picking and choosing the best decals from all my sets too!
Jesper, thinking like Mr. Safety, those gunners need tethers or something-- it looks like one slip and they're out the gaping tail ramp-- or do they wear magnetic boots or something? Also, it looks like you had your hands full cleaning up the figures, but the result looks good!
Emre, I turned up my nose at the egg-planes before, but you're changing my mind. That's kind of cool. Is there a pilot provided like on the box art (in the helmet, not standing)? There doesn't seem to be space in that scrunched-up cockpit. And are you using the kit decals? And good luck with your eyes this week!
Cheers,
Sean.
P.S.: I'll be jumping into this one after just one or two other campaign builds.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi Sean! Thank you for your good wishes. Unfortunately, the kit doesn't include any pilots or pilot heads. It would definitely have looked better that way. However, I'll use this opportunity to scratchbuild seatbelts and try to fill that cockpit a little. It will be rather visible with that bulbous canopy.

I also didn't like the egg planes at first, but jets look a little better than propellers when converted to egg scale
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hi Sam, Allen, et al.
I finally got my A-10 kit, thanks to a friend of mine who picked it up at the Modelpolooza IPMS show in Orlando Fl last weekend. Thanks Joe.
This is going to be a strickly OOB build with an alternate camo/colour scheme.
The idea is that after Scotland gained its indepenance, the relationship between Scotland and England deteriated....detiriated....went downhill fast. At the same time America finally started getting the new AX-A attck aircraft and surplused out the A-10 Thunderbolt II. Scotland quickly bought up 24 aircraft. Twelve went to front line service, and 12 to training and maintenance commands.
The jet I am doing is one of the front line fighters based at RSAF base Machrihanish.
Where we begin
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
nice kit you have there, jesper. over here warhammer stuffs a bomb.

very fast progress and good choice of colours, rob.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 04:15 PM UTC
Hi All,

Sean, Ken thanks for the comments on the F 16.

I've toyed around with a few ideas as to what weapons it will carry and came up with the kit AIM-9x's, AGM-88's, AIM-120, small centre line fuel tank, a triple rack of GBU-12's and a pair of GBU-31's.
The black 'walkway/no step' stencil is not the Tamiya supplied option from their kits, but is a 'left over' from an old Aussie Decals F-111 sheet, which had been applied as separate pieces then trimmed to match.

The 'Sharkie' is from an old P-39 sheet.

More to follow later.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 07:25 PM UTC
Bob, that surely looks different. I wouldn't think those colors would look so well on an F-16. Do you have closer shots for the shark mouth?
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 10:10 PM UTC
Emre,

The SEA scheme that I have applied on my F 16 is an adaption of the scheme's applied to the F 4e Phanton II when we had them in a very 'Brief' service life, while awaiting delivery of the f 111's. As for the 'Sharkie' it was what I had at hand that was a closer fit to the intake profile.

Only a few the RAAF's F/A 18 Hornets have 'Sharkie's' painted on them, hence my choice of a Hi-Viz mouth. If I used that type of 'mouth' I'd need to use a 72 scale decal, on this 48 scale build.

Hope this and the pix helps a little.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 02:23 AM UTC
Beautiful work on the Falcon Rob, it looks superb in that scheme mate !

It was good to meet with you at our club meet last week as well, glad to be able to chat face-to-face with you instead of over the interweb.

Cheers, D
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 10:09 AM UTC
Maybe a more visible sharkie would have been better (white on light grey doesn't stand out too much), but it looks good none the less. I really love the SEA scheme, our airforce operated F-4Es well into the 2000s in that scheme (then they decided boring and more boring greys would look better on the remaining aircraft). I was actually planning to build an F-15 in SEA camouflage and Turkish Air Force markings, but some of my more realistic modeler friends mobbed me about how it would actually be painted grey like the F-16s we operate, so that project went out of the window. Maybe I should show them your F-16, that might shut them up
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 10:21 AM UTC
The postman's been around and now I can get going with my build! While I wait for my SAR decals to be printed, I'll do the Traveller that Stephen was kind enough to send me. What if the Commandant of the British Commonwealth Training Plan needed a fast, spiffy aircraft to do the rounds of all of his far-flung training stations? Since he would be flying in the vicinity of fledgeling pilots, a training scheme of overall yellow would not be amiss. With that in mind, I went out and bought an extra copy of Superscale's Cessna Crane sheet, which provided the appropriate full colour roundels and RCAF serial numbers.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 08:38 AM UTC
My second What If will be a C-27 Spartan in service with the RCAF's 442 SAR squadron here on the Left Coast.

A C-27 in 1/72 is not a small airplane. Here's the box:

The interior grey is almost indistinguishable from the plastic. Well, except for the floor.

Look at that nice quilted detail inside. Too bad it'll be almost invisible once everything gets closed up.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 08:35 AM UTC
I have made some more progress on my Valkyrie.

The interior is now almost done. I will spice it up with a few decals and details, but otherwise good as it is.
I added a few details to the engines. The build is moving along nicely.

More to follow

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 09:08 AM UTC
I love that build, Jesper. If your FW-190 in the duel campaign is up to that standard, I'll have my hands full trying to keep up!
Rob, your work is great as always!
Jessie, we're all looking forward to see what magic you work on those kits-- after the trouble you've had lately with your last few, these will be fantastic!
thanks for posting!
-Sean H.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 09:53 AM UTC
@Jesper, the Valkyire looks very nice. Can you tell us what scale that thing is?
@Jess, I'm jealous! I've wanted to get my hands on the Vero Beach Staggerwing since it came out. (Especially since I live in Vero Beach! )

Well, I opened up the Warthog kit and found this inside!

Hmmmm....dark green plastic, well break out the primer!

cockpit parts primed, and now to the painting part

Everything looks great, so far.
And Sam, how it the manga jet coming? hmmm
Later
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
Rob thats one neat looking F-16 like the scheme and the sharkie on the intake

Ken great progress on the Kfir C.7

Jessie welcome aboard with your two builds looking forward to seeing them progress. Thats a shame about not being able to see that detail once its closed up.

Jesper great progress on the Valkyrie nice looking details

Emre loving the eggplane F-14 Im sure Ive got an eggplane 190 somewhere they really are fun little kits.

Bruce good progress on the A-10, looks better primed looks like a nice kit not too familar with the Mongram offering I think the only A-10 Ive really built / dealt with was the Italeri one when they released it (my editor sent me it as a review kit)

Onto the manga jet.
This was started when the campaign begain but got put to one side as my bench was taken over by my christmas card making stuff and I finally got round to finishing off our homemade wedding invitations. (yes I know very lame excuse but had to get them done first so I could focus on modeling on the model bench)

last weekend

This is how it looked 10mins ago. Major sub assembles done just need to paint the details for the cockpit, bit of wear and tear adding and then close everything up. Well thats the plan. Dont think I will get much more done this weekend as packing kits for a show on Sunday tomorrow and at show on Sunday. Monday was looking promising but mum is paying for me too go and see Erasure in concert which Im really looking forward to.

Ive reached the conclusion I need a clone
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessie, we're all looking forward to see what magic you work on those kits-- after the trouble you've had lately with your last few, these will be fantastic!

Don't be so quick to hope. Remember, one of them is a Roden kit

Speaking of things Roden, I did the interior painting on the Traveller. My story is that it was an Executive airplane before it was requisitioned for the war effort. Probably donated by the CEO of Molson's, and thus it had the deluxe civvy interior rather than the military one. Hey, it's my airplane and I can paint it the way I like it. The upper sidewalls and headliner got a couple coats of Tamiya Deck Tan, while the lower sidewalls and seats got a nice Burgandy red leather covering. The floors and bulkheads got a coat of Tamiya Buff.

I had a problem with the door, and I note that Jean Luc must have had the same one in his kit; there's a huge ejector pin mark smack in the middle of the pocket on the door. I did much the same as Jean Luc must have done; I cut out a foil pouch and superglued it on the door. I cut the top wider than the bottom, superglued the 3 edges leaving the top sagging open, then carefully crushed the top in, leaving some nice realistic wrinkles in the pouch. Perhaps it needs another one beside the right front seat, maybe with some maps sticking out?

I wasn't happy with having a totally flat, blank instrument panel so I built some basic 3D effects. I traced the raised portion onto a piece of paper, cut it out and glued it to a piece of .10" card stock. Then I drew the locations of the instruments I wanted and punched them out. I glued a section of .30 X .60 strip in the centre of the panel to hold the throttle, mixture and propeller levers. Once everything is painted, I'll aply some Mike Grant instrument faces and placard decals to liven it up. Then some basic seatbelts and I'll be able to close up the fuselage.

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2011 - 07:25 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments on the SEA schemed {RAAF} F 16.

Damian,
A pleasure to meet up at your last club meeting and I hope you can make it to the comp on November 19.

Jesper,
Looking good with your progress.

I'll get back to my fictional bird in the next day or so, as I have an early Typhoon Ib consignment build to finish.

I'd like to do a second {RAAF} F 16 using this old {Airfix Hawk} decal sheet, on the Tamiya F 16c/n kit #106, which is 2 tone compass grey and black.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Appreciate it.

Sean, I plan to update an old Fujimi 1/48 Fw 190 with some extra parts from an Eduard Fw 190 and a bit of scratch build. It will be a great campaign.

A figure is 28mm, so the scale of the Valkyrie is approx. 1/65.

Nice progress on the builds in this tread.

Bruce, it will be interesting to follow your build. I have three of these Monogram A-10s in my stash.

Rob, cool decals. Looking forward to see them on.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC
a little update on my fokker D.VIII

the cockpit with hurricane seat,i like the look of the silver harness so i'll leave them unpainted.

paul
architect
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC
An update on the Zeppelin aircraft carrier.
Well I had to spend some more time in drawing this thing I came up with.

An now the begging. To be honest I'm a bit reluctant as this whole thing seems too ambitious, but what the heck. Here we go.

I know......... that's a lot of girders.

architect
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 83 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 08:24 AM UTC
Directions

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 10:09 AM UTC
I'll be starting this in a couple of weeks time

It was a tough decision (mainly because I have the paint and the decals) but I finally decided to do it in a what if the F-14 was exported to Israel so the scheme will be something like this

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC
Well this campaign look very promising. I also started my entry. I have chosen the B-25 as a COIN plane from Vietnam. I also thought abou doing a COIN plane of "Free Cubans" but Vietnam offers better camo The kit from Airfix is from 1964, so it is actualy older than the plane it will portrait! When it was released, some 47 years ago, the B-25 was still in service in some countries! The fitt of parts is horrible as you can clearly see and the build will be a challenge.

bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 12:55 PM UTC
Just a quick up date on how my A-10 is coming along.
Sam, Jesper- The Monogram A-10 has got to be the oldest A-10 out there in 1/48 scale. Raised panel lines (more an indicator of age rather than a problem) Some flash, tho not much for a kit copy-righted in 1985. Dark green plastic is a bit of a problem, but the new release is in light grey. Fit is good to fair to poor like most of the old kits. The problem area on this one is the wheel pods to the bottom of the wing. Wing halves, fuselage seams are not bad at all and careful sanding won't take out the detail.
Anyway, cockpit and pilot are done and ready to install

More to come,
Later
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC
wow some really cool ideas coming out of this one.And just how big is that blip going to be