Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: What If? Campaign Thread
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 04:52 PM UTC
Fan of the egg after all it's in my favorite colors
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 09:08 AM UTC
Really great ideas coming along.

Thats spooky my Gran's family tartan was the Campbells aswell
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 10:17 AM UTC
My mistake, my family tartan is actually McDonalds, My Grandad just used campbells because it was more colourfull than Daniels which is actually mostly olive coloured
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 04:46 PM UTC
Finally I got some more work done on the Traveller. The interior is pretty much done, with its luxurious leather and wood finish. I used Mike Grant's excellent decals for the instruments and some of the plackards. The switch plates and boxes were from a couple of generic Reheat sheets I've had forever.

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 05:52 PM UTC
Nice work on the wood-grain Jessie! I'm still sorting out what works best for me out of the various techniques out there. I agree with Sam some very interesting what if's!
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 09:06 PM UTC
Just a quick update I've thrown some paint on and applied a couple of coats of Klear to seal .

Just looking at some markings and I've narrowed down my options.

I might even try to print some of my own decals.

Martin.
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 10:22 PM UTC
very swish interior there Jessie

Great progress with the paintwork Martin

We are away this weekend at Telford so hopefully once Telford show is out of the way I will get on with spraying mine Gold then onto the decalling
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 10:24 PM UTC
a little update...

nearly there! a few details to do and a coat of clear etc oh and put it all together of course!!!

paul
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 09:56 PM UTC
Nice work Paul Will hopefully get back on track with mine this week
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hi All,

Some great progress here with the builds. Just to show I'm still around {due to a couple of months doing two different things: One of which is my model competition which will run on the coming weekend and the other is helping look after my mum}, but the 'What If' RAAF F 16 has progressed to almost completed.

I made as 'dirty' as possible from too many missions over the Timor Sea and the Eastern Indian Ocean.

The canopy is 'Clean' as I wanted to replicate an "In Field' replacement.

There are a few touch up's too do on this bird.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hi Guys
I thought it time for an update! I've been working away on the Jaguar and thought I'd post a couple of three pics of it so far. So here it is I plan to tone the sky grey as it's just to stark and then I'll decal it and do a little weathering.

@Rob: Excellent work on the F16 Rob looking good!

mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
I'm fighting with the Spiteful right now, the wings went together beautifully, but the cockpit appears to be designed for a completely different kit and doesn't fit for beans. I'm slowly but surely wrestling it into submission, but it's never going to be a good looking pit. Thankfully this is 1/72 and it won't be that visible.

Next hurdle? The prop. It's accurate (almost identical to the Airfix Spitfire PRXIX in dimensions), too bad the fuselage front end isn't. I'm thinking Milliput may be in order as the fuselage seems to be a couple mm smaller in diameter than the spinner.
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
I'm going to call this What if the Brazilians ever decide which aircraft to buy.

Built from the Revell 1/48 Rafale B boxing with a little bit of improvement on the seats with the addition of some homemade belts.

I used a mixtue of Tamiya,Revell and Vallejo acrylic paints to achive the camo scheme.

I finally managed to print my own decals to use for the Brazilian markings and the no28 was added just to give some detail to the tail and nose.

After a couple of coats of Klear and a light oil whash a coat of matt was applied to finish.

This was my first real go at a modern jet and I think more will follow.

Looking forward to more Campaigns,

Martin
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
Great looking aircraft Martin like the What If idea and thanks for taking part
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 06:00 PM UTC
It's time for a little more work on the C-27, except that's probably not what the RCAF will call it. The RCAF has their own unique numbering and naming system (That they sometimes bend to accomodate a particular number from someone else's system). The next available number in sequence is CC-157 so that's what I'm going with. Names are something else again. They're usally something "Canadian" (Caribou, Buffalo, Polaris, Cormorant, etc) What are some options? Bison? Wapiti? Moose? What about abandoning the prey animals and thinking about predators? Cougar and Grizzly are used; they're armoured vehicles. Wolf has connotations of leanness that the chubby C-27 just doesn't fit. What about Kermode? Given that this aircraft will be based on the West Coast, and it's fashionable to care about Kermode bears over here right now, I suggest that we call it the Kermode.

Now that the decision is made, what's been going on with my Kermode? Well, the cockpit is mostly together, glued to the cargo deck and some colour has been splashed about.

I put strips of silver decal on the multifunction displays. They'll get a coat of clear green once they're completely dry. Right now they're doing a fine job of reflecting the camera's flash.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 04:05 AM UTC
Chris, that's going to be tricky to replace a single color in your camo, won't it? Your build and application look great, but yes, a lighter gray will look better. Can't wait to see further.
Martin, excellent build, and the homemade decals worked well. Do I see a little silvering on the black lettering? Can you still work setting solution or something under there? Totally believable Brazilian Rafale though. Nice. Love the two-tone squiggly camo.
Jessie, that's easily going to be the best CC-157 Kermode that the world has ever seen!
Cheers,
Sean H.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 04:41 AM UTC
@Sean:Thanks for the comments Sean! As to the replacement of the grey it shouldn't be that hard to over spray to tone it down because it's near white and it's fairly fine, However it might just tone down quite nicely with the application of a darker, dirtier wash.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 06:57 AM UTC
And now a test fit. The fuselage halves are taped together and mostly fit very nicely. The underside of the nose around the nosewheel bay wants to spring apart. I think that there will be Issues there once it comes time to glue everything together.

I haven't decided whether to leave the rear doors as moulded shut, or to open them up to let a tiny bit of that beautiful interior be seen.

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 02:37 PM UTC
@Jessie: I say grab that razor saw and show off the interior you've done a great job with it why show the rest of us? Altho I must admit that it would mean a substantial amount of scratch building to show of the closing mechanism? Either way Jessie I just know your work will be awesome least and down right stunning at best..
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 03:44 PM UTC
Actually the kit allows for open doors even though they're moulded shut. You just have to cut along the panel lines and use the optional struts and such to pose the doors open.
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually the kit allows for open doors even though they're moulded shut. You just have to cut along the panel lines and use the optional struts and such to pose the doors open.

It seems you just answered your own question Jessie
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 09:25 PM UTC
I agree with Emre Jessie .... question answered!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
The question wasn't 'Can I do it?', the question was 'Do I want to spoil the nice clean closed-up look?'
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The question wasn't 'Can I do it?', the question was 'Do I want to spoil the nice clean closed-up look?'

It would be a shame not to see all the interior detail though Great progress on the kit Jessie

Rob fab looking f-16 thank for joining in

Chris great progress so far on the Jag hope either a respray of lighter colour or the wash works looking forward to see the decals going on.

We are back from Telford and finally have the two review kits for one of the magazines finished so its back to my what if. I really can not multi task and have to work on one kit at a time (used to be able to multi task but my ability for that seems to have gone) Good news anime is now a goldy/silvery colour and the decals will start to go on tomorrow. It took take several weeks decalling with all the tiny stars that need putting on I see some frustration on the horizon.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
@Jessie: I agree with Sam I to feel that if you've invested time in building the interior that it would be nice from my perspective to put it on view. However since this is your build you must do what feels appropriate for you. Do you want to show the work horse that it is or show of it's sleek purposeful lines?

@Sam:Good luck Sam! My success with decals is patchy at best some have been a breeze and others a nightmare from start to finish! LOL even 1/72nd kits these days seem to have an abundance of stencils!

Okay here are some pics of the Jag with the decals on (Not very many to put on fortunately!) and I've toned down the light grey but I've still got to put a matt cote on and dirty it only slightly as we tend to keep our aircraft quite clean. (LOL not a lot else to do!) I've also used Tamiya's Titanium metallic paint for the first time and I must admit to liking the colour. (Or color for you Americans reading this! )