Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: What If? Campaign Thread
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Monogram A-10 has got to be the oldest A-10 out there in 1/48 scale.

Actually if you want to divide rabbits the Tamiya kit is even older, and represents one of the prototypes rather than the (early) production version the Revellogram kit is. The Esci/Italeri kit is of about the same vintage and has a cockpit completely devoid of detail (or at least it did, I don't know whether Italeri updated the moulds); we really need a 21st Century Warthog.

Another nasty fit problem is the engine pod/fuselage fit. Both of mine had really ugly gaps all around, especially on the underside of the pylons which needed filling in the worst way. This of course destroys all those fine panel lines nearby.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

we really need a 21st Century Warthog

Italeri did a new tooling a couple of years back. Sam reviewed it for SAMI when it came out

Link to scan of review
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC
Hi All,

Some interesting subjects progressing here.

A little more progress done on my F 16c as flown by 76 Sqn RAAF. The Panther fin flash, the A27-10 and the tail and nose wheel door numbers have been taken from the BAe Hawk 127 kit, the remaining decals have been taken from an Aussie Decal F 111 sheet, which includes the Aussie Flag.

The walkway stencil was taken from the Aussie Decal F 111 sheet and trimmed up to fit.

Before the knife attacked the sheet.

And what remains of the sheet after removing the stenciled walkway lines for the aircraft subject.

Now to apply the decal softener, touch up a few points and add the weapons to the inboard hard points.

More to follow later.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

we really need a 21st Century Warthog

Italeri did a new tooling a couple of years back. Sam reviewed it for SAMI when it came out

Link to scan of review

I think that it's not much better than a warmed-over Esci kit. Here's Cybermodeler's review . C'mon Trumpeter, what are you waiting for?
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
Fantastic progress guys and gals Hoping to get some more done tomorrow after work crossing fingers I might get the fuselage all closed up Wow the blimp is looking good don't envy you with making the girders that would drive me nuts

The A-10 I did It really wasn't that great a kit to build, I think finished model has either been damaged and binned or buried deep in a storage box probably never to see the light of day agin
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 11:12 AM UTC
Some awesome builds here. Love that RAAF F-16 and the Zepelin aircraft carrier sounds very interisting! Cant wait to see that.
I'll be doing a military Rotodyne using Revell's reissue. As I understand it the RAF, US ARMY and USMC were very interested in buying them. But problems with the nearly deafening noise and conventional heli's quickly surpassing it pretty much killed it by the early '60's. I once had it on good authority from someone who saw one that the noise of the rotor tip jets was ear piercing!
Just one thing, I can't see an enlist tab on the campaign overview page?
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
Stephen, doublecheck that you are logged in when you get blocked. Sometimes you can be logged in on one page and not another.
-Sean.
oraora
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kuching, Malaysia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 01:14 PM UTC
Rob, your F-16 is coming along nicely. Looks like it's gonna be completed soon.

Samantha, good start on your 'yellow' F-16..

Jesper, very nice progress on your valkyrie. The figures and the heavy bolter are very nice and detailed.. only thing is that the figure looks abit short, but I guess wh40k figures are all like that.

I have not done much to my kit... being very busy lately. hopefully i can continue this weekend.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments on the F 16.

Made a little more progress on the build, up to completing the cockpit stage, I used a tissue glued with Tamiya "Extra Fine Cement" to replicate a textured finish on the seat cushion, added a dab of clear blue under the centre section clear part before adding the sight.
Just a few touch up's to go.

More to follow.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC
a little update...
got all the major parts together now,primer next then silver dope finish.

paul
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stephen, doublecheck that you are logged in when you get blocked. Sometimes you can be logged in on one page and not another.
-Sean.

Made sure I was logged in but I'm still not getting an enlist button. Tried both internet explorer and firefox. Strangley I'm seeing the enlist button and particpants list on every other campaign page but not this one. Anyone getting not seeing it?
What I see on this campaign's page is this:

And on every other:

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 07:51 AM UTC
Stephen, you're right. I'm wrong. I went to that page, and it's just as you described it. There is no enlisted list for that campaign. Oddly the campaign list shows 26 enlisted, but the What If? page has no such list.
I'm sure the powers that be are working on it right now!
thanks,
Sean.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 08:28 AM UTC
It does look like a cock up. Hopefully it will get sorted.
In the mean time I'll get cracking on my Rotodyne. I've decided to go with a 1980's RAF scheme with dark green and grey cammo over black undersides. I've found some Chinook squadron markings on an old decal sheet that will be at home on it. I've got a few ideas to 'militarise' it with some antenna, chaff and flare dispensers and a few other things. I'll also have to modify the interior. The kits armchairs may be at home on the passenger version but there is no place for such luxuries on a military machine, and add a ramp at the rear doors. I did think of adding an extendable IFR probe, much like those on US Jolly Greens, but not sure the rotor diameter would permit it in reality.

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 10:28 AM UTC
Oops my faults guys and gals,

I was looking into finding a way of having a link to the gallery and the forum on the campaign pages as it has been requested a couple of times by members and put a wrong digit in somewhere. (we sometimes refer to this as a pebkac error at work)

Suffice to say, Sam has slapped my wrist for using her campaign as the guinea pig and if you try now you should be able to see the participants and enlist button again.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 10:46 AM UTC
Cool, its working now.
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 - 09:06 PM UTC
Almost compleated my skyraider so now I have time for another campaign.

Going to build this.

Going to paint a camouflage scheme of some kind.

Martin.

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 06:54 AM UTC
Very nice choice, Martin. How are you going to finish it?

A little more progress on my Valkyrie. The main camouflage is on. Next are the details on the engines and the cockpit.

More to follow

emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 02:42 AM UTC
As my project for Corsairs campaign is complete, I can focus my attention here. I painted my miniature and rudimentary cockpit. Since the bulbous canopy would make the interior very visible, I couldn't stop myself from adding some PE seatbelts.

Only the masking of the canopy remains before I start to paint. I hate masking... I hate masking complex, round, curvy surfaces more!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 09:37 AM UTC
Cool little bird, Emre. So that is what happens when a F-14 and a baseball mate...
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
It's more like a mating of miniature rugby ball and F-14
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
@Jesper; Valkyrie is looking very good, can't wait to see more!
@Emre; Followed your build on the Corsair Campaign, that is a beautiful bird sir! I feel your pain over compound curvy lines

Now, I have gotten to the point where my Scottish Warthog is primed and ready for the colour coats

unfortunatly I still have one seam to fill where the engine pod sits into the fuselage, but other than that it is all ready to go.

oh well Ever onward
Later
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 10:23 AM UTC
sundon looking forward to seeing the Rafale progress

Jesper loving the Valkyrie

Emre I don't know what it is but eggplanes always make me smile I did chuckle at the baseball / rugby ball mating with a F-14

Bruce great progress on the hog looking forward to seeing the colours on.

Mybuild is coming along need to mask the canopy then its onto spraying it gold I'll get some pics when I get some decent light. Nearly time for the dreaded decalling currently not got as much done as I wanted to this weekend as Ive had a magazine review kit come in so thats had to take priority
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 08:12 AM UTC
Rugby-1 to Camogirl... We are airborne!

With "Highway to the Danger Zone" playing at the backgrond, I sprayed my Egg-14 with Gunze's H315.

While it was flying/drying away, I prepared the landing gears.

Now I only need to take care of the arresting hook (paint it black and white) and the plyons+missiles assembly. When it dries, I will play around with the grey a little. Most possibly tomorrow morning before work, if I can get up early.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 04:52 PM UTC
Nice progress, Emre. I can see you went all in on the masking tape for the cockpit. How many rolls of tape did you use?

Looking forward to see more.
SUNDON
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 155 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 06:44 AM UTC
Progress made this week.

The cockpit has been built and inclosed into the fuselage with a small amount of CA to fill the seam.A little rescribing is needed after this but not to much.

The wings ,tail and nose is attached with some tape to check the fit.

Not a bad fit just a small amount filler or CA will be required for the wing joint.

More next week (Hopefully).

Martin