Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen 2 Campaign
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 12:40 PM UTC
Nice work on the undercarriage, Keith. Looks very realistic.

Cool Fw 190, Rob. A very clean build.
Removed by original poster on 01/30/12 - 06:19:48 (GMT).
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hi All,

{Try for the second time}.
Found this old Testors Bronco kit, in a box, [while looking in the storeroom for something else], as I started this about 5 years ago {got this far with it}, so I think it will make a good subject for the HQ 2 campaign.

Sean and Jasper,
Thanks for the comments on the Fw190.

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
Two weeks of utter silence. Whooooh. Spooky.
Speaking of which...
Here's my own (re)start of Monogram's odd-scale Spooky:
HQ2start
It's not a high quality kit. It's packaged as a "Heritage Edition", which means people probably remember building it in the 1960's or something. It's bedecked with huge rivets and scaled around 1/90th. I received it as a gift in the 1980's and started to build it as a civilian aircraft (DC-3) and attempted folding the landing gear and scratching the missing cargo door (where the Gattling cannon sits). I anticipate some color advise from my youngsters, to make this some backwoods, veteran airliner/air cargo plane.
Cheers, everyone!
-Sean H.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
You could do worse than Buffalo airways. They're reasonably famous.
And they have a sense of humour.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 05:32 AM UTC
Thanks, Jessica. That was inspirational!
-Sean H.
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC
HAHA! Just saw Buffalo on TV the other night... those are some tough dudes flying vintage aircraft in some of the harshest conditions for sure! Finished my A-10 build for another campaign so my BAE Hawk is on the bench... making progress and I'll follow up with some pics soon... man, this beer brewing hobby is eating my bench time up!!!
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 03:41 AM UTC
Ray, that's good news, and
Rob, it'll be nice to see how you handle that Testors Bronco kit. You probably saw that Vertigo is making an Academy kit under the Marines campaign, and I'll be taking a whack at it under the Viet Nam campaign.
Cheers, All!
-Sean H.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 06:28 PM UTC
Hi All,

Mixed up some Tamiya {Sky} XF-21 for the {Hobby Boss} RNFAA Hellcat, the wings are test fitted at this point, the next stage is masking the canopy, which will have to wait a day or so, undecided at present as to having an open or closed canopy on this subject.

The harness decal came off a leftover sheet of the F4U-1 Corsair, while the instrument decal came off an older Airfix Hurricane, that just happen too be in the spare [decal] box.

Sean,

The Bronco is progressing, ever so slowly and the pic shows how the progress is proceeding, one of the club members is building the 72 Academy Bronco kit. I often get phone calls from him asking how to fix this or that.

The radio antenias are made from fishing line, while the wing centre and lower rear fuselage becons are left over from a Tamiya F-16 kit, I drilled a small hole inside before applying the clear red and fixing to the model.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi All,

Masked the under surface 'Sky' and the canopy frame, applied the Model Master U.S. Interior Green, then applied the Xtra Color RN Dark Slate Grey using the kit's colour chart as a guide.

3 pix of the Dark Slate Grey.

Unlike the Hasegawa 'RNFAA Hellcat' [which is the same unit markings], the Hobby Boss kit shows that the Slate Grey does not pass the level of the main wings.
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
AeroScale: 144 posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 - 09:18 AM UTC
Greetings all!

It's nice to see that some people are making good progress, as opposed to me! Things have calmed down a bit so I got a bit of work done on the Ah-1W. As luck would have it, I also managed to break one of the skids off the chopper, again! No fooling around this time, drilled holes, inserted reinforcing brass wire and used gap filling CA to reattach the offending skid. I don't think that I'm overly rough but the plastic appears extremely brittle (possibly from age?).

I finally have the engine area glued to the rest of the bird and all it's pieces in place except the main rotor. there are some nasty seams that will need to be filled along the joint. I've used some ghost grey paint to hi-light some areas to check for problems. Progress so far:

More filling is being done on sink holes in the pylons and the flare dispensers. Now I know why I set this one aside.

Cheers,
Jan
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 05:51 PM UTC
I am not to sure what I will submit. I have a few kits kicking about. Will show my selection with photos soon.
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hello, would like to apply for this campaign. Been a Shelf queen for around 9months

This would be my build
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Apistofreak that's just what we're looking for here. Perfect! Welcome aboard. I really like what you're showing already. The paint is really well executed.
Snorri I'm looking forward to your selection!
Jan Tame those seams! Own it! (Maybe that kit will be entirely filler when you're finished!)
Rob You keep churning out excellent builds one after another. Whenever you finish one, remember to post photos of your beauties! The gallery is sitting empty at the moment!

Thanks, everyone!
-Sean
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 07:16 AM UTC
Apistofreak and any other newcomers, just one order of business. Be sure to enlist in the campaign (as a shortcut, you can just click on the banner in my signature).
The more the merrier!
thanks,
Sean.
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 08:09 AM UTC
Thanks, and now offically enrolled
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 07:46 AM UTC
Scrap, one step forward two steps back. Finally got my Skyraider into the paint shop over the weekend. Parts of the paint need resprayed and one of the wing hinges broke. This could take a while.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 09:02 PM UTC
It's high time to publish some progress of my entry. Here it is then. Model is already painted, decaled, varnished and awaits for removal of maskings and all those tiny parts.

All the individual markings were self made by designing masks and airbrushed. However this certainly isn't my luckiest model as although I tried to remove the masks very gently I have damaged the painting.

TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 02:09 AM UTC
I think its looking great! I still havnt had a model where the masks went perfectly. Overall, I think you are on the right track
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 08:16 AM UTC
While I'm working on my Aircraft Hanger Queen, it dawns on me that I have a couple of armor kits that are the land version of Hanger Queens. Anybody know if the Armorama folks do this type of GB?
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 02:52 PM UTC
Mark, they had a "Getter Done" campaign last year, but I don't remember seeing one this year. It can't be long before they bring that back around again though.
-Sean.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 06:02 PM UTC
Я представляю Вам мой большой российский пассажирский авиалайнер Илью́шин IL-8.
Before the first coat of primer goes on, to show the typical amount of putty an A-monster kit needs.

The white is injected plastic, the light grey is fibreglas, the red is bondo and the green is that lovely Soviet interior green painted all over the clear cockpit canopy. This is the last time we'll see all the various materials that make up the IL-18.
Apistofreak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 01:01 AM UTC
Michal, nice B-17, personally I think the masking issue looks like great weathering to me.

Jessie, looking at that "beast' (read putty bomb) I can understand why it became a Hanger Queen. Nice work to turn it into a good build.

Well got some bench time on my viper today, the results are ok. Will have some slight realigning to do (leading edge slats) and some seam joints to fix up but at least I'm working on it again

TaiidanTomcat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 04:04 AM UTC
Nice work on the monster Jess!

The F-16 is looking great. I am thinking of entering an F-16 myself... lots of F-16s in this GB if so! LOL
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi All,

A little more progress on the RNFAA Hellcat, the Dark Sea Grey has been added and masking tape removed from the fuselage, just a clean up of the over spray on the wing folds.
In two minds at present as to add the AEAF Bands from the kit.

Wings are dry fitted and NOT secured to the model as yet.