_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Hangar Queen 2 Campaign
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC
Welcome to the Hangar Queen 2 campaign!

Please post your progress and campaign fellowship here

If you haven't already joined, you can Enlist Here

Please post the photos of you completed build in the Official Campaign Gallery
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 06:47 AM UTC
Good heavens, it's not even New Year's Day and I'm already behind!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 06:59 AM UTC
Don't worry mark, Sam only did the posts early as we work in GMT timezone but some areas of the world are already celebrating the new year
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
Well here is my HQ it got started at least 5 years ago and I lost the will with it it got put back in its box and put into the loft never to see the light of day again.
It is a Hasegawa Spitfire that has been well and truely chopped up for the resin engine to go in, external detail set etc.

The next few pics should show the stage I got to and what is next for the mutilated kit.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the lid to find a spider now inhabbitted the box aswell.

seems a friendly helpful sort of chap though. Were I got to with the fuselage

engine

Wings

and external detail set

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
Sam, that's a very helpful spider. I'm never that lucky, except that I've never found such a big spider!
Everyone, I guess we're underway! Have a happy 2012, bringing those hangar queens up to the flight line.
Cheerio!
-Sean.
P.S.: It sure is nice when a campaign runs itself! Thanks, Aeroscale staff!
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 04:51 PM UTC
I finally decided on my entry: Monogram's 1/72 P-82G Twin Mustang. I will be building it as the night fighter version.

You can see that I only got as far as painting the cockpit. This was done decades ago.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 04:14 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, Gary!
For anyone else possibly hoping to use their Kitmaker album for posting photos, instead of a third party (I use Flickr, others use photobucket, etc.), take your starting photos, but don't worry about posting them until the Kitmaker photo servers get fixed. After all, this campaign is based on already-begun kits, so there's no urgency to show the starting point. Post them when you can (but before any others, naturally).
I hope I haven't convoluted my message too much!!
Also, I'll be jumping in with my own build sometime later this year.
Cheers!
-Sean H.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC
Mine is another big Russian. This time it's Amodel's IL-18 from the Amonster line.

As you can see, it's also a putty queen, which is pretty typical for an Amonster kit. Major construction is finished, leaving only final assembly, painting and lots of fiddly smoothing to do.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
I thought I'll finish here an old Revell's Fw-190A-8/R-11 kit, but I dug out the B-17 from the Big Beautiful Bombers campaign which is much more advanced and I want to get it done for the February contest. I'm going to finish it in these markings:

This is how it looked like at the end of the BBB campaign although nothing major changed

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 03:28 PM UTC
Jessie, that queen's looking pretty sad right now. Can't wait to see the beauty make-over you give her!
Michal, I'm beaming with pride to see a big beautiful B-17 in my campaign! That's my favorite plane. I know you'll do it well!
Thanks!
-Sean.
Mecenas
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2012 - 06:49 PM UTC
Many thanks Sean.
I managed to work a bit on my Fortress yesterday. I made the landing lights in the wings leading edges (a lot of sanding and polishing here) and finished the painting of "main" olive drab shade. Today I hope to paint the wings outer sections in a bit different shade and repaint the ailerons as these were covered with fabric so I would like to show a bit different colour here.
mykroft
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 270 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 10:38 AM UTC
For my first entry, the Revell Typhoon 1B in 1/48

Revell Typhoon Ib 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr
Mecenas
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 01:46 AM UTC
This campaign gave a big boost to my Fortress build. Just in this week I managed to do much more than in the whole 2011 year! The model is already painted now, with different colours for all ailerons and different shades for outer wings sections and anti-frosting sections on the leading edges. I have to finish the templates and custom-masks for painting the serial number and other individual emblems.
I'll try to take some pictures ASAP.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
Michal, glad this campaign has inspired you! Can't wait to see the changes you've described. That sounds like a good trick-- masking and painting the serial numbers? Can you get in-progress photos or pics of your templates?
Adam, the Typhoon is another cool plane. It's got that beefy, all-business shape and big cannons.
Thanks for posting!
-Sean.
Removed by original poster on 01/07/12 - 02:34:48 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/07/12 - 02:37:59 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 01/07/12 - 02:49:09 (GMT).
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
Howdy Y'all

I will be finishing a Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109 E/7 Trop for my build. I'm having problems trying to post photos, here goes, hope it works this time.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Y'all

I will be finishing a Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109 E/7 Trop for my build. I'm having problems trying to post photos, here goes, hope it works this time.
{img}{url=http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/370045}{img}http://gallery.kitmaker.net/500/thumbs/HangerQueen2_01012012.jpg {/img}{/url}{/img}

It's the same HTML problem. All you need to do is click the {img} button, then paste your URL in between the {img}http://put.url.here/image.file{/img} tags. Like this:

The {url=} tag is for inserting hyperlinks.
Mecenas
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2012 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michal, glad this campaign has inspired you! Can't wait to see the changes you've described. That sounds like a good trick-- masking and painting the serial numbers? Can you get in-progress photos or pics of your templates?

No problem, there you go:

These is of course an enlarged image, the letters have about 6mm high in the original. I'm not a graphic so the letter "K" is still "in progress" as I haven't found yet any idea how to draw it as on the original plane.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 05:20 AM UTC
Lakota, welcome aboard! The "trop" version with all those additional filters and mods is another cool plane. Looks like you have a decent start. Thanks for joining the group!
Jessie, thanks for the explanation.
Mecenas, even for a "non-graphic", that's a good idea. I don't own an airbrush myself, so I've only tried that with large numbers for a heavy application of spray paint. Yours look like they should work well.
thanks again all,
Sean.
tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
AeroScale: 144 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 08:22 AM UTC
Greetings gang!

As my callsign may imply, I haven't been too much into flying thingee's. The first and only one I've done since my return to the hobby was a Super Tomcat back in '09 for the Airedale Navy campaign. Anyway, I decided to enlist as I have a handful of unfinished Hangar Queen's that have sat untouched for almost two decades during my hiatus. Don't know how many I might complete but even one will be a victory. My choices are:

Airfix Tornado
ESCI Mi-28
Hobby Craft A-10
Hobby Craft SU-17
Hobby Craft SU-25
Italeri AH-1W
Revell SU- 27

These are all 1/72 scale and there are a few more at the bottom of the pile in the basement.

I decided to start off simple and work on something that I had all the sprues easily findable.

My choice is the Italeri AH-1W.

In the process of digging this one out of the "pile" the landing skids were broken off. For the above pictures I wanted them in place and it took three tries to repair them. I finally had to resort to using gap filling CA glue to get them to remain attached.

Cheers,
tread_geek (Jan)
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 10:39 AM UTC
That's the spirit, Jan! Thanks for joining!
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi All and Happy New Year.

Having returned back home from another sojourn of house sitting, There are several subjects I can choose from for this campaign.

The contenders are all 48 scale, [some are almost completed and one is left over from the Anti Shipping Campaign].

PBY 5a Catalina
TBF 1c Avenger {Anti Shipping G.B.}
Ki 51 'Sonia'
Fw 190a3
Fw 190a3 prop action
Ju 88 P1
Spitfire Mk VIII
H.Hurricane I
Fieseler Storch
Seiran
Beaufighter IV
RNFAA Hellcat

tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
AeroScale: 144 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks Sean, I hope the spirit holds! Some minor progress since the last post. The last parts were added to the engine/transmission section and some dry fit ones are now secured with glue. Also did some sanding and filling of seams and a bit of primer to check out the results.

The broken skids appear to be holding and I added the last pieces to the cockpit interior, except for the clear HUD panel. Also did some initial painting of the cockpit. The front/gunners instrument panel was a nightmare to fit and required quite a bit sanding and carving of the fuselage to get it to fit properly.

Assembled and added the front sensor pod and the forward "blisters" to the lower body. The fit of the two halves is atrocious on the bottom (large gap) and will require filling and sanding. The engine area is just dry fit for the images.

Have to figure out what to do next. The sensor pod still needs a small frame attached to it but it's delicate so I might wait and attach the stub wings first.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP