Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Small is Beautiful Campaign
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 11:52 PM UTC
Thank's for the fix of the photo!
My son has trained me so I should be ok from now on!
Thanks again to all.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC
my Ozmods 727-100 fuselage arrived today. Air mail from the other side of the globe is pretty efficient. guess Ill have to get offf this computer and do some model building now.

The Panther is for the "Fighters!" campaign.

The T-33 and the P-80 are going to be dressed as Navy trainers, as seen on RetroMechanix recently.

Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
Woah. This here really had a kickstart.

My humble contribution will be the RoG Typhoon i nRAF guise:

The seat didn't grab my fancy so out it was with some sheet and Tamiya tape. Sorry for the really bad pics, didn't set up my tripod for this one:

All this was made without my loupe as my dad required that for his new job.
Ones duty as a son...
611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 06:49 AM UTC
Construction is almost finished. Tailwheel to go in. Gun turret to build and canopy on. I'll leave the canopy off till I am finished painting.

SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC
So, I've spent the last two weeks snowboarding and brewing/kegging beer which has left me zero time to work on kits! I see the rest of you have been busy though! Magnus, those Migs look amazing, have to say it only confirms my love of Eduard kits! Rebilda, as always you impress me with that little bit of extra effort you put into your builds, seriously? detailing 1/144 seats? pretty sweet!

I've got 3 campaign builds so the pic shows all of my kits, for this campaign it's DML's version of the A-10... did a bit of research and it got pretty decent reviews...
InFlames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 10 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi everyone! I'm new here and this will be my first Campaign. I'll be joining with 4 Eduard MiG-21MFs - 3 will be OOB while the 4th will be built using PE sets and put on a base.

Good luck to everyone!
Rebilda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
@Ray: Well, thank you, Sir! Be doin' my best.We hope to please!

@Sebastjian: WELCOME! Hit it! And lottsa pics!

Here's what I've been up to:

A little cleanup (which was mostly only some Surfacer-induced flattening of overly deep seams) and WHOALAH:

I fashioned an ASRAAM from Evergreen:

And finally the seat painted:

Gotten a little too dark, but hey...

Thanks for watching!

SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 11:20 AM UTC
So I got into it pretty good tonight. I just want to say, when I first saw 1/144 kits I kind of saw them as a joke, not really as kits for serious builders, but that has changed completely! I've learned that you have to approach these builds just like the larger scales. For example, reading the seam on this little Dragon kit has been very important to assure proper fit and better overall appearance of a kit that could be easily sloppily assembled into a substandard piece of junk...
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 04:08 AM UTC
there is some great work here from everyone cant wait to see the finished aircraft.

paul
V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 03:15 PM UTC
It's time for me to report on the start of my build. I am building the Micro Ace F-15J. One of the biggest problems that I see at the start is that the model has a closed over (solid) cockpit. Even at 1/144 this does not get me too excited! After a lot of searching around, I think I came up with a solution! I had a copy of the Retrokits 1/144 cockpit for the Revell F-18C. After staring at photos of the F-15J, it dawned on me that you really can't see much as half of the cockpit is closed over with the cover over the electronics bay. Aha!! Here's the resn cockpit set for the F-18C/D.

As the back of the cockpit is covered with the panel, I just need to open up the front half. Here's the front fuselage with the area I need to cut out marked by a black pen.

After cutting both the opening in the cockpit and the F-18 C/D in half, test fitting everything together looks reasonable. I had to add a floor to support the resin cockpit.

With some paint, this just might pass for a reasonable version of a F-15 front office! At least it should look a lot better than a solid cockpit or a painted over canopy.

have fun modeling!
Mike
jjasmine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 03:55 PM UTC
Looking great, Mike. I love the improvisation and I can't wait to see the finished product.
pbhawkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 170 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
Hi all,
I am going to have two enteries (if that is allowed?).
First will be my own kit of the Do17E in The pre-war colours of RLM 61/62/63/65 specifically '54 F 37' with the national insignia painted out with Red circles (aggressor markings) for a exercise in 1938.

And the second is the Anigrand TB3 Zveno.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC
Some very nice work here!

Peter! I love that home-made Dornier of yours!

After some ill-advised and time-consuming brush painting yesterday I have managed to almost repair the damage using the airbrush and then as an added bonus I have also applied the decals!

More about it in the build blog.

Magnus
dutchboyinohio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 - 03:57 PM UTC
Ran across this campaign a few days ago and figured I'd give it a go. I happened to have a Minicraft C-47A Skytrain in the stash, so that's what I'll be building. As you can see from the pictures, one of the wing parts was broken upon opening the box, bummer!

While I build a lot of armor in braille scale, I usually don't go smaller than 1/76 so this will be a new challenge. I will build this pretty much OOB. By the way, there are some really, really good builds already posted in this thread, definitely inspiring!!
SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 12:31 PM UTC
Here's some progress from my bench. The fit on this little Dragon kit is kind of crap, but it's nothing a little putty can't remedy. All major assembly is done. Did a one over of shaping and sanding and then hit it with a coat of silver to pick out flaws. I'll give it another go with the sanding sticks and rescribe whatever detail gets lost. For you diehard A-10 fans out there I can strongly recommend you pick up a copy of The Modern Hog Guide by Jake Melampy. It's hard to come by these days ( got mine at an IPMS show last year, it's even a signed copy! ) but it's hands down the best A-10 reference out there!

611_sqd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
Base colours done and some basic weathering started.

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 12:25 PM UTC
ah yes, the Kiwi version. looking good.
Minicraft kits certainly come with nice decals and marking options.
ViperAtl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ran across this campaign a few days ago and figured I'd give it a go. I happened to have a Minicraft C-47A Skytrain in the stash, so that's what I'll be building. As you can see from the pictures, one of the wing parts was broken upon opening the box, bummer!

While I build a lot of armor in braille scale, I usually don't go smaller than 1/76 so this will be a new challenge. I will build this pretty much OOB. By the way, there are some really, really good builds already posted in this thread, definitely inspiring!!

I built one of these kits as a Eastern Airline bird. Nice little kit. I did have to add a brass pin for wheel axles and be sure to place a piece of sheet plastic behind the fuselage to wing joint. I didn't and it popped a couple of time with light handling. I did like the kit so much that I bought 2 more for future projects.
air-aset
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ecuador
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi All, heres my entry.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC
Gonzalo! Nice kit in a cool paint scheme!

I've come a bit further, with a bit of luck it will be standing on it's wheels tomorrow night!

More about it in the build blog.

Magnus
air-aset
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ecuador
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 11:41 AM UTC
Thanks Magnus, can´t wait to see your finished mig´s, exelent work.

Leo, amazing work detailing the cockpit on your Typhoon.
Bootneck42
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,

I've only just been recommended to this forum and I really like the work here in 1:144 scale.

I've had a go with the Anigrand CH-54 Skycrane and I've put some images below

Mike

Basic parts layout

Engines painted with Alclad aluminium

Some cabling added with fine copper wire

Finished engines fitted to fuselage

Test fit of underslung cabin

mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 11:14 AM UTC
Here's my first. It's the latest from Attack, they've released the Shenyang JJ-6 in a two-pack, and calling one of them a MiG-19UTI (which did NOT exist). This one I'm building will be the FT-6 (export version) but I haven't decided if I'm going with the Pakistani decals, or cobbling my own and making it a Bangladeshi aircraft.

SellSword
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC

Here's my latest progress... The fit is horrible on this kit, but at some point you have to take what you can get and go with it! Had to put the putty and sanding sticks away and see what a bit of paint can do to redeem this little Hog... What do you guys think?
iflytb20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kerala, India / भारत
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 194 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
My entry for the campaign is a Revell L.1049G Super Constellation in the Lufthansa Colors.

The Kit

The Sprue