Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Small is Beautiful Campaign
dbmdyxl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 06:22 PM UTC
Hi folks, I have finished the painting jobs of my F-4:

V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 03:51 AM UTC
Jiang
That is a fantastic paint job on the Phantom! Very well done!

Have fun modeling!
Mike

Quoted Text

Hi folks, I have finished the painting jobs of my F-4:

V2Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 288 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 03:54 AM UTC
Time for another update on my F-15J build. I now have the model decaled and overcoated with clear and flat finish.

Next step is to weather the Eagle as the real aircraft was pretty grungy when it came to the paint job. The JASDF took an old, weathered Eagle and added the bright anniversary markings without repainting the aircraft. After a final flat coat, I will be on the home stretch with this model!

Have fun modeling!
Mke
dbmdyxl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 06:59 PM UTC
Mike: That's an awesomely looking little F-15J!
I have done the decals and washing to my F-4F and I'm calling it finished:

Cheers,
Jiang
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi!

@ Mike: That little F-15 looks excellent!

@ Jiang: Your F-4 F looks very very fine! The overall impression is just right and your subtle shading captures the look of the real plane excellently! I really like this washed-out look. That is a great challenge to implement that in this small scale and you did just a perfect job.

Just some news from my work bench: I sprayed my F-104 in green and masked it for another shade of olive green:

F104_144_013

F104_144_014

More progress later this day!

Regards,

Sebastian
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 03:35 AM UTC
Jiang
that looks fantastic a great paint job.

paul
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 03:55 AM UTC
The lizard camo is completed:

F104_144_015

Regards,

Sebastian
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi
Here is my finished Platz kit N1K2-J Shiden-Kai

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 02:50 AM UTC
nice one richard

paul
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 03:44 AM UTC
Thanks Paul
A realy well molded kit, nice panel lines.
I have 3 more in my stash!
TheDiggs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:49 AM UTC
Question: Do you apply the dullcoat before or after you apply the decals?

Its my first time trying to bring out the panel lines. Hadn't really built a kit that had made me want to yet.

For my F-117A I am using gloss black enamel as my base coat and neutral gray acrylic to fil in the panel lines. It worked out well on a spare part that I had in my spares jar. I am using the neutral gray becuase I happened to already have it and my test turned out pretty good. It shows up nice and subtle like.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 11:02 AM UTC
Dulcoat should always go on after the decals. You want to put the decals on as smooth a surface as possible, to prevent silvering. If you've used flat paint, this means that you would want to put on a gloss coat before you decal, then a flat coat afterward. Since you're using gloss paint, you can safely skip that step.
TheDiggs
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 338 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 10:21 PM UTC
Cool, thanks
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 01:09 PM UTC
Howdy. Well. I finally got back to building the Vulcan. It's been a long two monthes- two deathsn in the family, a job promotion, and moving to a new house. Anyway, the last time i tried to post a picture, it didn't work very well. But some great guys and gals helped me out. Soooo... here's a new pic (I hope.). Probably paint the beast this weekend. http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/IMG_0005_2_renamed_23552.jpg
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 01:11 PM UTC
Lord, I did it again. Geez, let mw go back to March 22 and reread your replys to my plight. JT
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
okay. I clicked the brown button- I think [img]http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/IMG_0005_2_renamed_23552.jpg
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 01:45 PM UTC
somebod-- help! I just can't seem to get the hang of this procedure. I've followed the instructions posted by Darren and still... There's just got to be an easier way of doing this. I feel like a dope- I mean 10 year-old kids can do this! Well, I'm going to keep trying. Just hope I don't blow-up Aeroscale in the process.
JT, out and down.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 01:48 PM UTC
That almost got it. You need to close your image tag with {/img} (use square brackets to make it work).

The trick I use to do images is to go right to the picture I want, then click the right mouse button. You'll get a shortcut menu which pops up when you do that. About halfway down the list, you'll see copy image location. Select that and click the left mouse button to copy the link to the picture. Then come back to your post and press the {img} button. You'll see this appear: {img}http://put.url.here/image.file{/img} (but once again it'll be square bracets). Paste the link you just copied right overtop the http://put.url.here/image.file and then your picture will display properly.
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 02:18 PM UTC
Thanks, Jessica. When I do right click there is no "location" just the address. Maybe my Asus laptop is messed-up. I know what your saying, and so change the address? It just all seems very round-about when it should be a direct import from your file. Oh, well, I'll keep trying. Sure wish I knew a 10 year-old kid.
Happy and confused, JT
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 08:26 AM UTC

well, now, let's see.....
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 08:32 AM UTC
Oh , my, goodness.... it actually and truly worked. Now, I can post more pics of the Vulcan. I'm doing the wheels-up version since I'm going to build a stand and have it on my desk at work.
No longer dazed and confused ( okay, maybe a little), JT
dbmdyxl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 06:49 PM UTC
Thanks Sebastian and Paul! Though finishing this gives a weaker sense of accomplishment compared to doing bigger kits, I did enjoy the build.

Quoted Text

Hi!

@ Mike: That little F-15 looks excellent!

@ Jiang: Your F-4 F looks very very fine! The overall impression is just right and your subtle shading captures the look of the real plane excellently! I really like this washed-out look. That is a great challenge to implement that in this small scale and you did just a perfect job.

Just some news from my work bench: I sprayed my F-104 in green and masked it for another shade of olive green:

F104_144_013

F104_144_014

More progress later this day!

Regards,

Sebastian

tread_geek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
AeroScale: 144 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 05:52 AM UTC
Greetings everyone! Nice "little" (pun intended) campaign going here and with some really fantastic results. I last built a flying thing (Super Tomcat) for a previous Aeroscale campaign and it was always my intention to participate in this one. Unfortunately I've been delayed as I had several other campaigns to finish. With barely a little over a month left in this campaign and with a build request from an associate I felt that it was now or never.

The request was to build the following.

And the required shot with a time stamp.

I got started on the beast on Thursday and I must say that I am not at all impressed with Dragon's efforts in this kit. The main Harrier sprues have more flash on them than I've ever seen in one of their kits. Just by looking at the parts I could already see this will take some patience.

The main body halves together, the front weighted and the space alien pilot and cockpit installed. The pieces needed a lot of filing, sanding and clamps to get them to this point.

The next pictures have an Xacto with a #11 blade to show size. None of the parts added fit properly without a fair amount of trimming and then some. The holes for the forward thrusters weren't even round and one was more like a slit than a hole. The stabilizer mounting slots were also far to small for the locating tabs.

To top it all off, the tail fin has a large gap on the right side that needs further attention.

Compared to the Revell F-14D, this kit really stinks. Hope things don't get any worse.

Cheers,
Jan
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hi, Jan. Sorry to hear about your troubles. The kit does look a mess. You have to wonder where QA was at while Dragon was making this kit. I hope this doesn't put you off other 1/144 kits. There really are some nice ones out there. My Cyber-Hobby Vulcan is a case in point. Good general fit but a bit fiddly at places. Anyway, good luck. Hope to see what you can do with Harrier. Hey, maybe they should change the box title to "Flying Mess"? All the best.
Happy Gluing, JT
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 07:15 AM UTC
One must keep in mind that Dragon's Harrier is at least 15 years old if not older. It's certainly not state of the art like the Vulcan is. All of Dragon's 1/144 kits of that vintage need a generous helping of "Some modelling skills required" to do them justice.