Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Devils in the Dark: Nightfighters!
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 11:27 PM UTC
And then a little later tonight after some quick work on the booms and tail plane I came up with this! I was going to have the radar exposed but after finding that the weights I had in place were insufficient to ensure it didn't tail sit I had to add some extra in the nose and the radar had to be removed and you can see it sitting in front of the model.

bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC
@Jess, the Dog came out great. Best looking F86D I ever saw
@Chris, I feel you buddy. Every one of those things that I have built has been minus the radar just because you can't cram enough weight into the front of the booms to keep it off it's tail
So far it is looking great tho. Last one I built took me 3 months, but the client wanted a lot of photo etch and I had to hand make the markings for it
Keep up the good work.
Later
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 03:21 PM UTC
I've got the props on and I've worked on getting the canopy to fit. My solution was relatively simple I used evergreen strip to go around the combing and pack all the surfaces except the vertical ones between the pilot and gunner the resultant rise in height aligns the top of the canopy with the fuselage and enables a pretty good fit all the way around with the exception of the front left corner which needed an angled piece cut. Having done that I'll repaint the strip as it's visible on the inside of the canopy then glue it into place. here a some pics to illustrate what I mean.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 04:30 PM UTC
Looking good Chris, very neat solution to the fit issues that plague the old Revellogram P-61. I've built a couple and have 6 still in the stash, and despite their reputation in some circles I still really enjoy building them. I intend to up the ante with my next build and attempt a full scribe, resin and PE blowout. I will end up either extremely pleased with myself or completely insane!

Jessica, great job on the Dog, a very well finished build indeed.

Still no progress from for over a month now, very sad state of affairs.

Cheers, D
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 05:50 PM UTC
Hi D sorry to hear about the lack of progress but it happens like that sometimes. I know you'll get back to it soon enough. Thanks for the praise D it's going together nicely.

Six in the stash D? I thought I was bad at 4! I really do like the kit but I'm definitely going to get a couple of the great Wall and Hobby Boss offerings, you know P61 in 1/32!!!!!!!!!! Makes my mouth water and my wallet cry! LOL
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 06:25 PM UTC
Only have one P-61 in the entire collection. An Ancient Airfix version missing the landing gear and the under wing stores.

Since there's no gear, I'm trying to build it with the gear up. Expecting that there's nothing to support the doors, I'm working ahead and creating some structure to sit under the doors while I work on them.

SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 12:59 PM UTC
Well I think I will mark this one as done, not totally happy with the outcome, I had a real issue with the decals, and was not comfortable with the vacuum formed canopy. But, not a bad looking Mossie.

Thanks for the Campaign, was lots of fun, and lots of nice builds.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 01:13 PM UTC
Chris, your Widow is looking good. You know here in the states they are doing some final work on getting a 1 to 1 scale Widow flying again!! I would love to be there when it does.

Kevin, your Mosquito looks quite good. Everyone on here knows what decal trouble is like! Russell
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hi Russell good news about the P61 is it a restoration or a new build? I'd love to be around for the first engine run ups and to be there when they do a low level pass with her going all out!

I hear you Kevin! Many's the time I've got a stunning paint job and gone to apply the decals only to have them explode, twist or generally fail miserably! The resultant fix is never quite right somehow whether it's just a perception because of the failure or it really does look a little askew I'm never to sure.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 08:35 PM UTC
And the work on the canopies continues just about every surface needs to be packed out! The kit was obviously designed to have all the open panels open. However it's been relatively easy to make the various panels fit and fit well, with a coat of paint no one will be the wiser! so here are some more progress pics, the canopies will not be the clearest unfortunately as they were badly scratched in the box and I've only done a small amount of remedial work. And to top it off some sanding dust has been trapped in the clear coat..... oh well c'est la vie!

GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hello:

WOW...!!!

Chris, that is big, and a lot of work to...!
I likes the open cockpit, allowing to show the interior...!

Congrats & BTW, I wand to see it finished...!

Diego
Removed by original poster on 04/23/13 - 12:48:32 (GMT).
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 12:50 AM UTC
Chris,
The Black Widow is at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum. She has been there since 1986 when they pulled the wreck off a mountain side in New Guinea. Last time I check in they had the fuselage done and the booms on it, and on it's wheels, with the engines ready to be installed

You can get to the "Widows Web" here,
http://www.maam.org/p61.html
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi Diego thanks for the kind words! However the cockpit will be closed up with just the crew and canon access panels open. This was always going to be a closed up build so I could address the canopy issues that be-devil this kit. And see what I could do to fix them. yes it is big ..... very big for a 1/48 scale kit just goes to show how big this bird actually was.

Hi Bruce yes I've seen this website and the amount of detail that it provides for the modeller is just awesome! Makes it easier to super detail one of the kits out there to build an accurate model. I'd love to see the detail on the 1/32 scale kit as I believe that it would lend itself to super detailing.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 02:48 AM UTC
Very nice Mossie, Kevin. It looks great.

I have only made a bit of work on my Bf 109D. So far so good although there is a long way to go.

More to follow soon.

Removed by original poster on 04/29/13 - 17:46:28 (GMT).
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hello,

A new small advance, and some "new" technology development...

The master for the seat-back...

And the seat-back (plus the PE armourplate) glued and painted on its plaese...

After that, the seat harness, from the scrach using lead foil and some PE bucklets...

Thanks

Diego
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 06:42 AM UTC
Very nice progress, Pedro. It looks great with all the small details.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
Very impressive work Pedro and everyone else. I love the things going on here!

Michael
North4003
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 960 posts
AeroScale: 391 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 03:58 PM UTC
Kevin,
Very nice Mosquito.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 10:06 PM UTC
Hi Guys and girls I'm a mite further on with the Blackwidow I've got the canopy masked off the paint on and I'm slowly working my way through the stencils and decals almost got it sorted and then I'm onto the weathering and touch up detail painting etc. Here are some progress pics.

Decals are slightly out of register and the adhesive doesn't dissolve as much as it sticks to the decals in white clumps and then has to removed or dissolved as best as is possible. The decals are good for Monogram ones, thick but very flexible and they conform well to the raised panel lines and details.
Removed by original poster on 05/01/13 - 22:05:09 (GMT).
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC
Home » AeroScale » Aeroscale Campaigns » 2013 Aeroscale Campaigns » Devils in the Dark: Nightfighters
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 10:08 AM UTC
Jessica

Thanks, you beat my delete, I found it after. Had not realize the campaigns has been organized into sites.

Kevin
panzerman1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hello all Night fighter builders. I'm an 11th hour entrant into the group build. I'll be making a F6F-5N Hellcat, from DML in 1/72nd scale. Here's my beginning proof photo.......

I just got so inspired by all the terrific builds going on here that I had to join in with the FUN. Will post construction photos soon. Thanks for viewing, Bill.