Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Devils in the Dark: Nightfighters!
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
so...Bob's your uncle? or, in your case Jessie, John's your uncle?

I, honestly, am going to start a blog here called "Adventures in Modeling" and describe all the screw ups that happen putting these things together...especially to me!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I, honestly, am going to start a blog here called "Adventures in Modeling" and describe all the screw ups that happen putting these things together...especially to me!

Just when I think things can't get any worse, I always remember our old mate VonCuda and the tragic "Display Cabinet Incident of '09"

Take a look back in time HERE and spare a thought.

Bruce, I would contribute to your blog for sure !

Cheers, D
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 05:15 PM UTC
Yep, I've got a few stories to share on that list.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If we didn't, we don't deserve to call ourselves modellers.
J8kob_F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
AeroScale: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If we didn't, we don't deserve to call ourselves modellers.

Yeah I agree. IMO experience doesn't necessarily decrease the number of mistakes i make during the process but they have less an impact on the final result. Also how fun is it to be perfect, you have no good horror stories to tell your fellow modelers
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:53 AM UTC
thanks guys, it's good to know I'm not the only who runs into these kinds of problems

Actually I did finally put a forum post here called Adventures in Scale Modeling, for just this reason...to laugh at ourselves when the plastic gods really get frisky.

I'm sure if the editors don't think it belongs here in Aeroscale that they will find an appropriate place for it.

Later
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 05:36 PM UTC
One of the guys at NWSM is a retired VP of Engineering from Boeing. His view is "Modeling is Problem Solving". Some days you have to take a deep breath or two, repeat that as a mantra and dig in and get it done.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 11:05 PM UTC
Well, this is where we are now. The layer cake is almost assembled, but at least now my Mosquito has her sting back

Fuselage is re-assembled and the nose has it's 4 cannon and A.I. VIII radome, now to mate those pieces.

Later
macotra4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
AeroScale: 88 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 05:49 AM UTC
So, with a permission, the beggining:

and the second picture with a Beau as a background

more of Moskito to follow
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC
Tom, keep 'em coming!

Later,
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi,

Time for some work update.
Had some time waiting for a few extras that arrived 2 weeks ago.

first i went for propellers, a much needed replacement on this kit

[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/rochinhas4/]rochaped38
Quickboost really captures the right profile when you compare with those from the box.

After that i went for the cockpit and along came Eduard's etched fret. I will need to tone down Eduard's rendition of RLM 66, since it's a fair bit more blueish than my own mix, though i might do the exception on that instrument panel.

Also too many sink marks to deal with

Will post a few more before closing the fuselage

Cheers

wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi there,

Great progress, everyone.

Real life and work have been after me a lot lately, so not much time at the workbench. But here is my first update on the Eduard Messerschmitt Bf110E.
I have assembled and painted the cockpit. I may have been a bit sloppy with paintwork and PE, but I'm generally happy with the result. And since the canopy will be completely closed on this one, not much will be seen on the finished model anyways.
I'm not sure that the pilots harness is correct (I believe it should go through the seat) but this is what the instructions said. Any comments on that?

Since the pictures were taken I have closed the fuselage and I'm now working on the wings and engine nacelles.
This beast is not a perfect fit, but I WILL beat it (I hope)

Cheers
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC
WOW! Kenneth, that's fantastic detail painting and shading. I really hope to come close to that some day with my work.
thanks for posting!
-Sean H.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC
Kenneth,

That cockpit is a stunner, great work on bringing that grey up to life.
Eduard has done a good job concerning the cockpit, but a good modeller can make it shine even more as you did.
Major pain will be fixing those engine nacelles on the wings, been there and it cost me half tube of putty and a lotta cursing

Cheers
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi,

Yes, SR...!!!

I agree, It's a Very nice 110...!

Cingrats & BTW..

Diego
wespe66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Frederiksborg, Denmark
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
Sean, Pedro and Diego: Thank you very much for your kind words Much appreciated!
I will soon be finished with the wings and nacelles, so my next update is soon to follow.

Cheers!
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 01:47 PM UTC
progress report

got the resin nose attached, and the front glued to the fuselage. Wings and stabilizers on, painted and landing gear done

All that's left to do is put in the gunsight, and a few bits and bobs, attach the canopy and decals, hopefully by the end of this week

Later
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 04:27 PM UTC
Pedro, Kenneth,
Nice interiors!

Bruce,
Glad your over the hurdle!

Got most of the cockpit parts cleaned up and started with the PE. Instead of cutting the bits off the instrument panel I just made a new one it's barely visible in the center with the rudder pedals attached. I have two of these kits and two Verlinden radials I am planing on using those on the second kit but looking over the kit I now have to decide which cowling to use on which build, I'm going to have to cut two booms apart to transfer parts so I'm left with two the same for each build.

Cheers Rob.
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 09:24 PM UTC
Oh, dear here comes another P-61. Finally made a start on my GWH P-61A, and what a lovely kit it is. This is to be built oob as quite frankly at the momnet I can't see what else I would buy, apart from possibly decals.
Cockpit modules dry fitted to RHS fuselage

Forward cockpit

Rear cockpit

Anther angle on the front pit

20mm cannon under the floor
so far the kit goes together beautifully, my only real criticism is the thickness of some of the sprue gates. Looks like the assembly of the fuselage is going to require a lot of care as a lot of parts with close tolerances need to be assembled.
btw for those of you not subscribing to Kitmaker yet, this is a good reason to start, this kit was a monthly draw prize
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, dear here comes another P-61

Sacrilege! There can NEVER be too many Black Widows.

Great work so far Andrew, really nice detail painting in the office. What is the colour that you used for the cabin interior?

Cheers, D

amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 10:14 PM UTC
Hi D, have to check the exact shade tonight but it is Humbrol Enamel, the chromate primer is Tamiya Acrylic. It still needs work to "use" it a bit more and the guns are too shiny, should have been semi matt. So far it is all brush painted
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC
Damian, you're our resident Black Widow expert, I have a question for you (It's even relative to this campaign )

Two things first tho...I am just about done with my PITA Mosquito NF Mk XII that I am doing for this campaign.
And second, next up on the work bench is an F6F-5 that I am doing as a club build for the NAS Vero Beach memorial that is in the Vero Beach Municipal Airport. The club I belong to is called The Nightfighters of Vero Beach. We are, of course, located in Vero Beach Florida.
NAS Vero Beach, from 1942 to 1946 was the US Navy's advanced night fighter training base.
The F6F I am doing was a conversion to type trainer, someone else in the club is doing an F6F-5N.

Now, my question, whilst going thru some internet images I found these 2 remarkable photographs

Now, the question....since this was an Army plane loaned to the Navy, was it painted OD over neutral grey, as the first A/B models where painted, overall black as the later A/B models where, or would the Navy have painted it Dark Sea Blue as all Navy aircraft where painted late in the war? These photos are just dated 1944 with no other information.

I thank you for any information, opinions or best guesses.

Later

I just looked at the post, sorry for the small pictures but that is as large as I could get them to post
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just looked at the post, sorry for the small pictures but that is as large as I could get them to post

Here's your problem: If you look at the URL of the photos you'll see http://gallery3.kitmaker.net/data/500/thumbs/P-61_NAS_Vero_Beach_1944.jpg
The part that's making them small is the /thumbs section. Edit that out when you're pasting in the URL while you're writing your post to make them appear large like this:

From the look of the aircraft, it's an overall glossy colour. I would expect that it's black given that the Navy probably didn't want to waste the time and money repainting a loaned aircraft.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 03:57 PM UTC
Thanks for your help Jess. And you are probably right about keeping the Widow gloss black
I was just getting all kinds of excited thinking about an over-all dark gloss blue P-61
oh well

Later
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 05:15 PM UTC
Another clue: Look at the insignia on the tail boom. If it were overall gloss sea blue, the insignia wouldn't have the blue portion.