Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Campaign Proposal: A lottery.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jess, it's not a Mig 19 you're right, it's a 21, it's two better.

Or two worse.. Downunder they say the Datsun 200B was a 180B with 20 more faults..
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya gotta look for something that floats your boat, and it helps if you can get hold of it, as the IAF wasn't formed until the late 1930s and I can only get a Wapiti if I pay a fortune for it. The Mi-8 is such an old fashioned looking beast but seems to get everywhere, the Gnat/Adjeet is a real unexpected success (Sabre killer) and both are a bit out of the ordinary

The more I read about this 'kill' the more I think the Sabre pilot was just out for a nice fly when the Gnat turned up.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 04:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That reminds me. Ben, I saw the Revell Ford Trimotor at the same shop for twenty bucks as well. That is a good price. I bet you could find it for the same, or I could grab it for you.

Please don't worry yourself on this one. I'll come up with something. At least I have any nationality to choose.

Guess Ill just go shovel more snow
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're right. It shouldn't be too hard. A little attention and care. But it does seem odd there's no 1/48 version. But I guess you can't have everything. Thanks Jessica- you're really a great help. All the best. JT

From What I can recall the Tamiya P-47M comes with the dorsal spine it also contains parts from the D kit and as its a separate part so you can build different variants other than the M.
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 09:08 AM UTC
Really? Wow, I really would like to build that Jug. Now, I have choices. Also, I found a sheet of Iranian decals by Hi-Decal that carry makings for three different Iranian F-5Es. So now I have a source for the Iranian insignas. Choices, choices. I think I can cobble togather the numerals or just mask them off. F-5E/F or P-47D? Only time will tell. Thanks again. JT
amegan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 996 posts
AeroScale: 915 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 05:08 AM UTC
Out for a nice fly in a war zone, the guy got what was coming to him. Lucky or not the Gnat is a good looking bird. Just need to make sure I can get decals.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 06:38 AM UTC
Alright so an update for everyone. We are at twenty recruits now. If we reach twenty-three I will add ten more categories. I'll use suggestions made up until this point, with a couple from the Mason Jar of Doom himself.

I'm starting to wonder how many entrants will cry uncle on this one Some tricky categories have already been doled out. And some tricky ones still waiting in the wings!

Anyway, without further ado...

Somewhere in the distance some great gong crashes. The horrible shrieks of a rhesus monkey trumpet its arrival. Insects and vermin flock to it.

The Mason Jar of Doom is upon us once more.

Adam, your lot is...

#26: "Tea and Donuts" It's time to class up the joint, you get to build any British Aircraft in American service!

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 07:59 AM UTC
Are you allowed two entries if there are any spare? Just one seems too easy.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:16 AM UTC
Oh a wise guy eh? Well we know what to do with wise guys, don't we Mason?

Do you really want another Warren?
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:49 AM UTC
Please Sir may I have another...
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:16 AM UTC
Ships go missing in the night, snakes tie themselves in knots and water flows uphill in the presence of...

The Mason Jar of Doom.

Warren, your second lot is...

#22: "Need for Speed", Build any aircraft that, at any point, for any period of time, at any altitude has held the absolute level flight air speed record. I don't want to get the accuracy police involved here, so so long as some kind of official governing body recognized it, I'll count it.

Or should I be difficult and limit it to this list?
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ships go missing in the night, snakes tie themselves in knots and water flows uphill in the presence of...

The Mason Jar of Doom.

Warren, your second lot is...

#22: "Need for Speed", Build any aircraft that, at any point, for any period of time, at any altitude has held the absolute level flight air speed record. I don't want to get the accuracy police involved here, so so long as some kind of official governing body recognized it, I'll count it.

Or should I be difficult and limit it to this list?

Pssshhh. Warren has it too easy on that one. I think I speak for everyone when I say that we'd like to see him go out in the garage and recreate the Wright Flyer in 1:1 scale for this one,
-Sean H.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Well.. I have enough room in my shed, but unfortunately the money is lacking. Any donations can be made to blah blah..

From that list I choose the Douglas F4D Skyray which I have a 1/72 Tamiya one sitting in the stash! It may also be an excuse to get another SR-71...

SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC
Enlisted, just crossing my fingers I get a draw that can be fulfilled with something from between 1930 and 1955...
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 01:22 AM UTC
I'd like to join, is there any subject left?

Cheers
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC
Okay, Sven and Erik will make the 22nd and 23rd lots drawn. So after I draw for them I will add ten more categories, you can see them all by checking the campaign page.

A dog is seen eating a horse in the land. An unearthly rumble is felt, brackish water overflows wells.

The Mason Jar of doom's presence is known.

Eirik, your lot is...

#23: "African Queen" YES! I was hoping this would get drawn. Some really neat camouflage schemes and national markings to choose from. Your task is to build a Sub-Saharan African nation's air force aircraft. I am officially disqualifying South African Aircraft as I see it as an easy way out

Sven, your lot is...

#2: "Sopwith you?" This is a hard one or an easy one depending on where you stand on rigging. Your task is to build any Sopwith aircraft. Good luck!
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, Sven and Erik will make the 22nd and 23rd lots drawn. So after I draw for them I will add ten more categories, you can see them all by checking the campaign page.

A dog is seen eating a horse in the land. An unearthly rumble is felt, brackish water overflows wells.

Eirik, your lot is...

#23: "African Queen" YES! I was hoping this would get drawn. Some really neat camouflage schemes and national markings to choose from. Your task is to build a Sub-Saharan African nation's air force aircraft. I am officially disqualifying South African Aircraft as I see it as an easy way out

Sven, your lot is...

#2: "Sopwith you?" This is a hard one or an easy one depending on where you stand on rigging. Your task is to build any Sopwith aircraft. Good luck!

Huh, this will be interesting. I've never done a biplane, but I guess ill have to now.

Cheers.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 01:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Eirik, your lot is...

Sven, your lot is...

Huh, this will be interesting. I've never done a biplane, but I guess ill have to now.

Cheers.

Doesn't have to be a biplane Sven. The Sopwith TRIplane also has very little rigging..

SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Doesn't have to be a biplane Sven. The Sopwith TRIplane also has very little rigging..

Eirik, your lot is...

Sven, your lot is...

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice, ill look around,.
Dont get me wrong,I always look forward to learn new techniques!

Cheers.
Removed by original poster on 02/21/13 - 01:21:46 (GMT).
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 03:19 PM UTC
I've decided for a sopwith pup ( I have already ordered windstock book). I will use the WnW kit with some aftermarket from HGW models ( Have to earn the money first though).

Cheers
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've decided for a sopwith pup ( I have already ordered windstock book). I will use the WnW kit with some aftermarket from HGW models ( Have to earn the money first though).

Cheers

Man I like this guy. Really grabbing the bull by the horns!
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers

I have built them both and they are nice kits.
Wizzard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ahvenanmaa, Finland
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi there! Been modelling on and off for a few years now, and finally decided to join this great forum and this Campaign. So please Sir, give me a topic.
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eirik, your lot is...

Nice, I should be able to rustle up a propjob, gonna take a look at my stash when I get home. But a quick question: Does it have to be a nation/air force still existing, or would say a machine from the Rhodesian Air Force qualify?