World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Grems 1/24th Typhoon build
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC
August 1st update:
Cockpit cage cleaned up and cemented together. All checked for the mandatory 90 degree alignment. Spars aren't cemented in yet, looks like they need some gentle bending to get them in the correct alignment.More cleaning and Mr. Dissolved Putty needed to get things ready for paint. My Radu Radiator apparently arrived today while I was in Amsterdam so I'll pick that up from the post on Monday.

Longshanks8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi Julian
Glad you've got your baby at last

Will be following with interest, don't think it's going to float though

Cheers Kev
Gremlin56
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Julian
Glad you've got your baby at last

Will be following with interest, don't think it's going to float though

Cheers Kev

Hi Kev,
yes, very much worth the wait too
It's definitely not a floater Too many holes to plug on this monster
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 01:27 AM UTC
August 2nd update:

More work on the cockpit cage.The battle against the sinkholes has been declared, using plastic discs made with a punch and die to fill them. I also replaced the moulded wire or pipe on the firewall with brass wire, stands out a little more,(yes, I know it will disappear behind the oil tank). I picked up Radu's radiators, (impatient as usual ). Lovely work and a great improvement over the OOB parts:

Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Julian, that's a quick start. I intend leaving mine for a couple of months in case there are any problems thrown up by the ongoing builds, and I've got plenty to be going on with anyway. I would like to finish mine in the same way as you, but not quite completely naked on one side.
Looking forward to seeing further progress.
John

PS do the plastic parts come with the RB radiator set or just the etch?
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi John, Couldn't wait to dive in and get going. Still finishing off the 1/200th USS Hornet/"30 seconds over Tokyo" build over at Model Shipwrights at the same time so I am having a ball at the moment.
The PE sheet in the photo is what you get but it's a quantum leap compared to the OOB parts.
The black ground coat just went onto the cage and spars so I can break out the Alclad tomorrow I think. Meanwhile time for a cool white wine I think.

Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 06:52 PM UTC
August 3rd update:
Cockpit frame and spars have received a coat of Vallejo black acrylic primer that has dried overnight so I'll be able to give it all a coat of Alclad dull aluminium.

Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hi julian,
Moving at speed but it look's great so far. I hope Airfix engineered that framing to carry all those extra goodies you have for this one

I will be watching with interest.
cheers
Michael
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 07:31 PM UTC
Good morning Michael, all straight forward and easy going so far. Most time went into cleaning up parts, filling sink holes and scraping flash. The pace will slow down when the detailing and weathering starts.
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 03:07 AM UTC
The dull aluminium coat turned out to be too dark and dull so I did an overspray with Alclad aluminium. This looks better. Part of the frame has been brush painted black, (lifecolor Weathered black). All this has been sealed in with Vallejo matt varnish ready for the first weathering:

Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Julian, I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but Chris Thomas reckons that the cockpit framing should be all silver lacquer, and that the RAF Museum Typhoon which Airfix took the interior colours from had been incorrectly restored.
At least if you want to change it you have n't gone too far yet.
All the best
John
DanielMoscatelli
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 02:17 AM UTC
Jajajaja I see that these entertained my friend!! Jajaj the magic flows of your hands!!! The Kit is really very good and scares for his size!!! I enjoy his work really. Continué forward.

PD You went to " Santa Justa " to ask god for help!!

Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Julian, I don't want to throw a spanner in the works but Chris Thomas reckons that the cockpit framing should be all silver lacquer, and that the RAF Museum Typhoon which Airfix took the interior colours from had been incorrectly restored.
At least if you want to change it you have n't gone too far yet.
All the best
John

Hi John, heck no, wouldn't consider this a spanner
I take it you are referring to the special supplement that was included with the Airfix magazine, Chris Thomas wrote a large chunk of the information included. I have in the meantime found several photos of what look like Typhoon cockpits with black framework and one with green framework so I shouldn't lose to much sleep over this. The aluminium colour gives a more sexy contrast to the black instrument panels so I might just change it. Thanks for the tip anyway,
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jajajaja I see that these entertained my friend!! Jajaj the magic flows of your hands!!! The Kit is really very good and scares for his size!!! I enjoy his work really. Continué forward.

PD You went to " Santa Justa " to ask god for help!!

Daniel

Hi my friend, thanks for dropping in I actually went to the North of Spain for the excellent wines, the great food and the amazing Basque "Pintzos". That I was let into the secret of Santa Justa was a bonus that I will treasure, it's the most beautiful location for a chapel I have ever seen.

http://www.nomadic-one.com/reflect/hermitage-and-chapel-ermita-santa-justa-cantabrica-spain

Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 06:37 AM UTC
August 4th update:
Started weathering the cockpit frame, oil washes and dry brushing with Citadel "Dry" paint. Nowhere near finished yet:

Longshanks8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 06:42 PM UTC
Looking good !

Kev
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 07:03 PM UTC

Hi John, heck no, wouldn't consider this a spanner
I take it you are referring to the special supplement that was included with the Airfix magazine, Chris Thomas wrote a large chunk of the information included. I have in the meantime found several photos of what look like Typhoon cockpits with black framework and one with green framework so I shouldn't lose to much sleep over this. The aluminium colour gives a more sexy contrast to the black instrument panels so I might just change it. Thanks for the tip anyway,
[/quote]

Hi, there's a debate starting on another site now about Typhoon cockpit colours and it does look like there's evidence of several different combinations, but I think the original Hawker spec was aluminium lacquer.
Excellent progress by the way, keep it coming.
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good !

Kev

Thanks Kev, lets hope its a case of great things coming from humble beginnings
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, there's a debate starting on another site now about Typhoon cockpit colours and it does look like there's evidence of several different combinations, but I think the original Hawker spec was aluminium lacquer.
Excellent progress by the way, keep it coming.

Thanks John,
I am a bit wary of posting the cockpit photos here due to copy write issues but if you Google around you can find plenty of color photos. The different colors being the case gives you a little bit more leeway for the build.
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 04:46 AM UTC
I've just looked at my Tamiya 'car door' Typhoon from several years ago and I painted the cockpit framing interior grey/green, presumably following the kit instructions. Doh!!
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 04:59 AM UTC
What size punch did you use for the styrene disks? I'm just curious if the sinkholes are as big as they are in the Mosquito.

Also, what thickness styrene sheet worked?
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've just looked at my Tamiya 'car door' Typhoon from several years ago and I painted the cockpit framing interior grey/green, presumably following the kit instructions. Doh!!

That's the way it works John. I was absolutely convinced that underside of the Typhoon was Sky. I would have taken some flak here if I had sprayed the underside in that color............
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What size punch did you use for the styrene disks? I'm just curious if the sinkholes are as big as they are in the Mosquito.

Also, what thickness styrene sheet worked?

I used Evergreen .010" sheet, slightly too thick but sands down easily. Size of punch I would have to measure, I have an "El-Cheapo" Micromark P&D set. Not wanting to sound crude but I checked what fit in the hole
How's the Mossie coming on? The photos so far are fantastic.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 06:11 AM UTC
August 7th update:
Work proceeds on the cockpit. The support for the pilots seat is fitted as are the rudder pedals. The adjustment wheel I first painted black but it didn't show up down deep in the pit so I granted myself the freedom to paint it a dull red. Shows up better now. The oil tank fitted together nicely and is ready for an Alclad treatment. The pilot's seat cushion is further along than the photos show, this was some pre-shading.

Have added some chipping to the cockpit frame about where the pilots arms would be.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I used Evergreen .010" sheet, slightly too thick but sands down easily. Size of punch I would have to measure, I have an "El-Cheapo" Micromark P&D set. Not wanting to sound crude but I checked what fit in the hole
How's the Mossie coming on? The photos so far are fantastic.

Okay cool. I have a Waldron set, but I didn't have a punch large enough for the mosquito.

Speaking of which it's coming along nicely. I'm working out the fitting of the nacelles to the wing and the nose had a giant step in it that I'm working on correcting - that's what's taking up all my time. It's one of those things where there are a lot of hours but not much to see, which is why there haven't been any new photos.