World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Grems 1/24th Typhoon build
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 10:48 PM UTC
Just a quick update with a couple of pics:

The build books by Brett Green are worth coughing up the cash for: reference photos, builds and after market and reference sections.

The EagleCal decals are gorgeous and the markings for "Manu" Geerts' Typhoon included in this set are also used in Brett's book.

berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hi Julian, you gathered a lot of nice stuff for this huge kit
I will follow this with pleasure.

Bernd
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thank you Bernd, just waiting for the kit to arrive so I can take the kick-off
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 06:07 PM UTC
Hi Julian,
Really useful pictures from the museum. Do you know when yourTyphoon will arrive, mine should be on it's way today hopefully, It's coming from England by courier and should take two working days, so next week there will be great exitement in the Haute Vienne (well my little bit of it anyway). Looking forward to seeing your build.
John
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi John,
No news from Axel's Modelbaushop yet I'm afraid. Prospects are good for you though it appears
The most enjoyable part of any build is the very first rummage through the box, holding the pristine parts in your hands and inhaling the bouquet of fresh plastic
I had a very enjoyable afternoon at Overloon taking snaps of everything that might be a possible future build victim. I also have several pics of 20mm shells but it is impossible for me to tell which belong to which weapon or even opposing side in the war. The Hispano is a brute of a weapon though, really huge.
I'm working on a review of the decal sheet Rowan sent me, sidetracking me into doing some research into 609 Squadron and Squadron Leader Louis Emmanuel "Manu" Geerts, a Belgian Typhoon pilot and judging by his biography one heck of a tough guy.
Give us all a "heads up" when your Typhoon arrives,
Cheers,
Julian
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:01 PM UTC
Hi there

Mark Peacock from Valiant Wings Publishing has informed us that their Hawker Typhoon book Airframe & Miniature No 2 is almost sold out due to the high demand with the release of the Airfix kit. As he says, if you want a copy, be quick - because once it's gone, it's gone.

All the best

Rowan
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip Rowan,

Any pointers anyone for a 1/24th scale late WW II pilot figure to pose next to the Typhoon? There aren't many around it would appear.....................
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi Julian, i found yesterday a Typhoon on Ebay, the price
blinded me for some time, way above my budged. Hopefully i
get a few for my (upcoming)shop (may there is one for me ;-)
More then 20 years ago, i did the Revell Tiffy in 1/32, my best
model in this time and the coolest (three blade prop/car doors)
next on my shelve was a Revell 109 displayed and it looks, the
Gustav was in a smaller scale,
All the Best
Bernd
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:27 PM UTC
Hi Bernd,
If the model is above budget wait until you start buying the aftermarket goodies that go with it
I remember the Revell 1/32 Typhoon, bet that is worth a lot to collectors nowadays.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi Julian, i agree, other people drive expensive cars.....
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Julian, i agree, other people drive expensive cars.....

You have got that right, I remember an old saying:
"The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys" An amount of truth there I must admit
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 03:27 AM UTC
Just received a message from Axel's Modelbaushop that my Typhoon has shipped, so it should be arriving tomorrow or Wednesday. Looks like I can start turning this into a hardware thread instead of a vaporware thread
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC
And it's here, from India to the UK to Germany to Holland.
The box is familiar,the Apple gives an indication of it's size.
What has not been on view yet is the box's bottom, back-side, flip-side?
I won't do the obligatory sprue for sprue photo shoot, Brett, Marcus and Chris have already done that in their "How to build XXX" series, (good books, no mistake and no pokes intended here). Okay, photo time:

The Radu radiator set I ordered this afternoon, looks great.
Time to sniff the fresh plastic smell and to fondle the sprues, not to mention inspect a rather fat instruction book, (couldn't call it a leaflet if I wanted to )

P.s. just checked the canopy after the reports of cracked or scratched examples. No problem here, shiny, clear and undamaged.
Tankermantoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi Julian, you were lucky with the cockpit canopy. Many people seem to have received cracked and distorted items. My problem is that the canopy sprue was missing when I opened the box but I do have two sprues with the instrument panel on! However I have had an email from Airfix to say a replacement is in the post, let's hope so.
On the subject of a pilot, have you tried here:https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/PJ+Productions+124+RAF+WW2+Pilot+Standing+PJ241101/22826/#.U9e7
I don't know what their stock level is like but they'll soon let you know.
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Julian, you were lucky with the cockpit canopy. Many people seem to have received cracked and distorted items. My problem is that the canopy sprue was missing when I opened the box but I do have two sprues with the instrument panel on! However I have had an email from Airfix to say a replacement is in the post, let's hope so.
On the subject of a pilot, have you tried here:https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/PJ+Productions+124+RAF+WW2+Pilot+Standing+PJ241101/22826/#.U9e7
I don't know what their stock level is like but they'll soon let you know.

Hi Christopher,
sorry to hear that you are having a problem with the canopy, I know from experience that Airfix are very good with customer service so it should get solved eventually. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. I also saw a resin pilot figure in a recent Airfix magazine that looked promising so there seems to be more choice than I first thought.
Cheers mate, happy building,
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
all I can say Julian, is:

WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
gelmes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hi Guys, just found these at RB Productions. I got their Mosquito ones and they made a big difference.

Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

all I can say Julian, is:

WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Its worth the wait Russell, I drooled over it all evening
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys, just found these at RB Productions. I got their Mosquito ones and they made a big difference.

Ordered a set yesterday Gary, looks like a big improvement on the kit parts,
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi all, received mine yesterday, with the expected cracked and distorted canopy, but still extremely impressed. I think I will also invest in Radu's radiator set, as that and possibly a set of earlier Sutton harness, will be the only extras needed
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all, received mine yesterday, with the expected cracked and distorted canopy, but still extremely impressed. I think I will also invest in Radu's radiator set, as that and possibly a set of earlier Sutton harness, will be the only extras needed

Hi John, sorry to hear you had a dud canopy too. Definitely a problem at quality control in India. Looking at the contents of the box yesterday I think you will have time to contact Airfix before you really need the canopy
The only add-ons and aftermarket you need? Just wait what will be hitting the stores now that the kit is available There will be a veritable flood of microscopic PE parts and metal tubing etc. etc. The trick is withstanding the temptation, something I'm not very good at actually
Mrs. Gremlin is already tallying the packages arriving at "Casa Gremlin" .................
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 04:28 PM UTC
Know what you mean.
Tankermantoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 03:27 AM UTC
Just to let you know that I received a replacement for the missing Q sprue today, good work from the Airfix customer care department, they must be busy!

Chris
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to let you know that I received a replacement for the missing Q sprue today, good work from the Airfix customer care department, they must be busy!

Chris

That is good news Christopher, glad to hear that the problem has been solved by Airfix. Now you can start building, (I will be this evening )
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 06:42 AM UTC
The kick off:
And about time too I should think. I have spent the last hour working on the main spar and cockpit cage with rather mixed feelings. The fit is good but there is a lot of flash on the cage tubing that need cleaning, the strengtheners of the main spar were warped and it's been a long time since I have seen so many ejector holes, (bless Mr. Dissolved Putty here, I'll probably need a few more jars ). That doesn't mean the kit is bad though, I have a very "naked" build on one side of the aircraft in mind which means that a lot of the sink holes would normally not be visible but with what I have in mind will. Warped pieces are a no no IMHO though and that, along with the complaints that are appearing about the canopy being cracked, I find rather disappointing.

Still a lot of cleaning up to do.