World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Academy B-25B Mitchell
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Will be working on the window fix next, but I need to order some clear acetate sheet.

Joel

Hey Joel, is this the stuff I pointed out in the after fuselage?

Brian,
Yes.

I'm looking at trying some of the clean acetate from packaging. I've also thought that once the fuselage halves are closed up, there is next to no light in the areas of those windows, so basically all you'll see is glossy black, especially at a distance of a foot or so as a display model. so what if I painted white sheet plastic black, then after the model is completed I use Microscale Krystal Kleer to make the glass. The effect should be the same as looking through the other windows with clear plastic inserts. Besides, the clear acetate will still need a coating of Krystal Kleer to bring it up to the level of the fuselage skin.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Will be working on the window fix next, but I need to order some clear acetate sheet.

Joel

Brian,
Yes.

I'm looking at trying some of the clean acetate from packaging. I've also thought that once the fuselage halves are closed up, there is next to no light in the areas of those windows, so basically all you'll see is glossy black, especially at a distance of a foot or so as a display model. so what if I painted white sheet plastic black, then after the model is completed I use Microscale Krystal Kleer to make the glass. The effect should be the same as looking through the other windows with clear plastic inserts. Besides, the clear acetate will still need a coating of Krystal Kleer to bring it up to the level of the fuselage skin.

Joel

OK. An alternative approach is to buy some rigid clear plastic sheets/styrene/plexiglas and to cut pieces to fill the enlarged window openings you make. You could also spray the INTERIOR of these parts with Tamiya "smoke" so the the outer surface looks "clear" but one can't see inside due to "darkness." I did something like that with the Hobbycraft P-35A large side window on the stbd side and liked the result.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

Brian,
Yes.

Joel

OK. An alternative approach is to buy some rigid clear plastic sheets/styrene/plexiglas and to cut pieces to fill the enlarged window openings you make. You could also spray the INTERIOR of these parts with Tamiya "smoke" so the the outer surface looks "clear" but one can't see inside due to "darkness." I did something like that with the Hobbycraft P-35A large side window on the stbd side and liked the result.

Brian,
Another good alternate choice to try out.
Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:36 AM UTC
Nice one Joel!

It's great to see you off to a fine start. I built the original when it came out and loved it (although I opened up the cowlings as Brian mentions).

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Joel!

It's great to see you off to a fine start. I built the original when it came out and loved it (although I opened up the cowlings as Brian mentions).

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Thanks for stopping by and liking my 1st baby steps on this build. Going to do the same thing with the engine cowls.

I'm almost done with the fuselage window modifications, and I'm simply amazed I haven't screwed either side up as yet.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 01:32 PM UTC
Hi Joel, very nice work on the seatbelts; they look the biz. I will be following along, as it is always instructive to watch a master at work!

Ernest
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:30 PM UTC
And I'm here as well !

Regarding clear plastic I've found it a lot easier to work with clear styrene stock than using second hand packaging blisters. The plastic from the packaging is usually difficult both to glue, sand and polish. But you might already be past that stage by now !

Magnus
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 04:18 PM UTC
I might be a bit late to the party here but a good source of clear styrene flat stock is CD covers. You can buy the very cheaply or steal them from the wife's CD collection because her taste in music is . . . Hang on, I better not finish this on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel, very nice work on the seatbelts; they look the biz. I will be following along, as it is always instructive to watch a master at work!

Ernest

Ernest,
thanks for those most kind words, but believe me, I'm not master by any modeling standards I know of. There are others on Aeroscale with skills far advanced from mine, who are the true modeling masters here.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And I'm here as well !
Regarding clear plastic I've found it a lot easier to work with clear styrene stock than using second hand packaging blisters. The plastic from the packaging is usually difficult both to glue, sand and polish. But you might already be past that stage by now !

Magnus

Magnus,
Thanks my friend for that advice. you saved me a lot of grief down the road if I do decide to go with the clear acetate.

Joel

Quoted Text

I might be a bit late to the party here but a good source of clear styrene flat stock is CD covers. You can buy the very cheaply or steal them from the wife's CD collection because her taste in music is . . . Hang on, I better not finish this on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.

Cheers, D

Damian,
welcome my friend. that's an option I never thought of.

I'm still thinking that for my needs just fabricating the windows out of sheet, painting them Tamiya smoke, then using Microsale's Krysal clear will give me the look I'm after, as the other windows will have about the same visual effect.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:02 AM UTC
Ok, time for a real update. I've finished the window back dating as pointed out by Brian, using the references he supplied, which was more then enough to get the job done.

This is the right side of the fuselage.

The access hatch has for the earlier B ver has a split window with the window on the bottom portion of the hatch rather then the oval window on the top of the hatch. So I cut open the entire hatch.

I made a slightly larger top portion plug to represent the door and rounded the edges just so that a wash would settle in nicely. Once dry I sanded it smooth to the surface.

The left side of the fuselage is a little more complex to correct.

The round oval needs to be plugged. So I made a two part plug to give the plug a great deal of gluing area for the modification to follow. The small plug fits the opening while the larger one fits the recessed area behind the window.

When the plug dried, I used bondo to blend it in, followed by a coat of Thin CCA glue to seal any air bubble holes.

Then I used the existing oval window to trace the opening on a piece of sheet plastic to cut out and use as a template. Then drilled some starter holes, and slowly worked the window till I got the basic shape.

Still need to do a little more shaping, but it's about as good as I can get.

Now I need to decide how I'm going to deal with the new clear window issue.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:29 AM UTC
Pretty darn impressive if yuz asks me. This is hard stuff to do, always with the risk of messing up a major part!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pretty darn impressive if yuz asks me. This is hard stuff to do, always with the risk of messing up a major part!

Brian,
Thanks for those most kind words. But not nearly as impressive as your ground breaking detailing inside your B-17F build.
Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 07:16 AM UTC
Lovely work Joel. This is what modelling is about! Research your subject matter and don't just make do with a "near enough" attitude with such obvious differences when you have the skills to modify and make it correct.

Thanks for sharing so much detail.

Cheers, D
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:00 PM UTC
Looking very good so far Joel. I agree with Damian about researching and correcting faults/issues to the best of your ability.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely work Joel. This is what modelling is about! Research your subject matter and don't just make do with a "near enough" attitude with such obvious differences when you have the skills to modify and make it correct.

Thanks for sharing so much detail.

Cheers, D

Damian,
Thanks so much for those more then kind words. But the credit for the research goes to Brian, as I was just going to take the lazy way out and do a OOB build.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking very good so far Joel. I agree with Damian about researching and correcting faults/issues to the best of your ability.

Ernest,
The actual work to correctly backdate the fuselage to a early B ver. wasn't really that hard. Brian did the hard part with the research, and as a trusted Aeroscale friend, kept me on the straight and narrow path.

On my Spitfire build, which was my very 1st British aircraft, after I had painted the full camo scheme on,Mal pointed out that I used the B scheme, which was incorrect, and explained why. I thought about just saying thanks and leave it that way. But a day or so later I realized that because Mal and then Edgar took the time to correct my error, I stripped the Spit, and repainted it. And Mal even went further and sent me a set of masks to use.

Joel
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 04:57 AM UTC
Great progress so far Joel, I certainly will be tagging along with this build.
tim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great progress so far Joel, I certainly will be tagging along with this build.
tim

Tim,
Glad that you're coming along for the ride. I certainly will be looking forward to your input, as your skills and insight will help to keep me focused in the proper direction.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 12:54 AM UTC
Well, I finished another interior sub assembly. This time the navigator compartment and the center section of the bomb bay. Basically there's nothing special as they're straight OOB for a change.

The Navigator compartment is right behind the cockpit. The compartment was painted with Lifecolor Basic Interior Green FS 34151 over Mig Ammo Gray primer. Some of the radio equipment was painted Nato Black then dry brushed with a light gray rather then the more traditional silver for a softer overall look. The seat cushions were painted with Model Master enamel Leather. The fuselage walls haven't been painted as yet, so they're just raw gray plastic.

The Bombay section was also primed with Mig Ammo acrylic gray primer, then a Alcad2 Dark Aluminum # 103 was air brushed on. After a few hours to dry, I sealed the Alcad2 with Testor's MM Metallic Clear coat. Let that dry for an hour, then a wash of MM enamel Raw Sienna thinned with their Red Can Mineral Spirits. I let that dry for several hours, then another sealing clear coat.

you can see the difference in shades and color from the bare fuselage walls.

Here's an overall shot showing the tunnel from the nose to the lower compartment.

So far the part fit has been excellent. I did have 4 pin ejection marks to deal with on the side walls of the bomb bay, but that was it. And yes, there is some flash here and there, but considering the age and number of moldings of this kit, it's a lot less then I would have expected.

Joel
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Top notch work! Looking forward to the next update.

Regards,
Kobus
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 11:12 AM UTC
Joel,
I really like how your technique brought out the details in that wall. Looks fantastic.

Gary
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2016 - 09:24 PM UTC
Kobus & Gary,
thanks for stopping by and liking my short update. I'm always surprised at just how tuff the Alcads are once they dry.
Joel
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 01:12 AM UTC
Great work on the inside of the fuselage Joel. Some really nice detail there.
tim
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 01:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work on the inside of the fuselage Joel. Some really nice detail there.
tim

Tim,
Thanks for stopping by, and approving of my enhancing. Coming from you it means quite a lot.
Joel