World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Academy B-25B Mitchell
LCB248
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 08:39 AM UTC
Saw this kit advertised and I'm thinking of adding it to my stash. I live just south of Dayton, Ohio, where the USAF Museum has the silver drink cups of the Doolittle Raiders on display. I think all but two are turned upside down now.

I've just gotten back in to modeling and pretty much everything you've posted has taught me something. Keep up the good work. I'll be following with keen interest.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Saw this kit advertised and I'm thinking of adding it to my stash. I live just south of Dayton, Ohio, where the USAF Museum has the silver drink cups of the Doolittle Raiders on display. I think all but two are turned upside down now.

I've just gotten back in to modeling and pretty much everything you've posted has taught me something. Keep up the good work. I'll be following with keen interest.

Larry,
Welcome back to the hobby. And of course welcome to Aeroscale. You're really going to like it here.

Glad that my build is a help to you. Feel free to ask anything you have a question about.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hey Joel , been following your build in the background . She is looking good so far . How would you compare this kit to the old Monogram kit ? I have the mono kit in the stash and find the detail be a lot better . Taking into account on minusing the raised panel lines from the question .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Joel , been following your build in the background . She is looking good so far . How would you compare this kit to the old Monogram kit ? I have the mono kit in the stash and find the detail be a lot better . Taking into account on minusing the raised panel lines from the question .

Terri

Terri,
I really don't remember that much about the old Monogram kit. I did actually built a gun nose version sometime late 1970's or so. All I remember was that there was a fair amount of detail for what we were use to having back then, and that the fit of the parts were pretty good. Back in the good old days every kit had raised panel lines, and we didn't weather much if any. The fact that I got it finished back then speaks volumes for the quality of the kit.

Why not build your Monogram kit now and we can compare the models as we proceed through the builds.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 07:56 AM UTC
Work has continued at my usual snails pace. Using the center section of the bomb bay sub assembly as a paint mask, I 1st painted each fuselage half Lifecolor Interior Green FS34151

Then I painted the side fuselage walls of the bomb bay Alcad Dark Aluminum #103, so each fuselage half looks like this.

the side walls of the bomb bay are the rib sections for the fuselage walls. I also painted them Alcad Dark Aluminum.

I then sealed the fuselage halves and the bomb bay parts with Testors Metalizer sealer, let it dry for an hour or so, then gave it a wash dirty black wash.

Then I test fitted the bomb bay assembly and taped the fuselage halves together to check for fit, which was surprisingly very good.

Getting closer to actually being able to glue up the fuselage halves.

Joel
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:36 AM UTC
Excellent work Joel, she's looking good.

I eagerly await your updates to see what has been unveiled. Your work is top not and inspirational. Every update is a lesson and shows me how much more I must learn before I'm able to produce work at this level. Your attention to details is commendable.

Regards,
Kobus
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:37 AM UTC
Sorry, should be "top notch"
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 10:56 AM UTC
Nice detail work, Joel. There certainly is a huge detail difference between 1/48 scale and 1/72 scale.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work Joel, she's looking good.

I eagerly await your updates to see what has been unveiled. Your work is top not and inspirational. Every update is a lesson and shows me how much more I must learn before I'm able to produce work at this level. Your attention to details is commendable.

Regards,
Kobus

Kobus,
thank you once again for you most kind words. And yes, while I'm mostly a OOB builder these days, I do make corrections and some enhancements. I try to create my build threads to offer guidance as to product and application for each step, as well as the relationship of one step to the next, which is not necessarily the flow of the directions. If my methods, ideas, and procedures helps anyone, then my reasoning for them has been personally successful.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice detail work, Joel. There certainly is a huge detail difference between 1/48 scale and 1/72 scale.

Gary,
Why thank you Sir. The kit is a fascinating build that was designed by avid modelers, much like WNW kits. Unfortunately, 90%+ of what I've just built in the fuselage as stock parts, weathered, and dry brushed, won't be seen once the fuselage halves are glued up. In other words, it's way over engineered. Hence,I didn't bother with adding even a single electrical line. etc.

And yes there is a huge difference between what you get in the 1/72 scale kits. But then again the 1/32 scale kits are that much more detailed then this kit. Fortunately for me. I don't have the room to display those beasts.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, 90%+ of what I've just built in the fuselage as stock parts, weathered, and dry brushed, won't be seen once the fuselage halves are glued up. In other words, it's way over engineered. Hence,I didn't bother with adding even a single electrical line. etc.

Joel

Joel, are you doing this with the bomb bay closed or open?
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, 90%+ of what I've just built in the fuselage as stock parts, weathered, and dry brushed, won't be seen once the fuselage halves are glued up. In other words, it's way over engineered. Hence,I didn't bother with adding even a single electrical line. etc.

Joel

Joel, are you doing this with the bomb bay closed or open?

Brian,
Open unless I screw something up.

The 90% unseen was referring to everything but the bomb bay. Of course I haven't given any thought to the bomb load as yet.
Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 11:45 PM UTC
Joel! You're actually quite fast for being a snail !

Magnus
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel! You're actually quite fast for being a snail !

Magnus

Magnus,
Fast for being a snail that is a universal certainty, but slow none the less for how much time I actually spend modeling.
Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:21 AM UTC
The build is looking excellent. I really like the weathering you have done to the interior thus far.

Ernest
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The build is looking excellent. I really like the weathering you have done to the interior thus far.

Ernest

Ernest,
Thanks so much for those more then kind words.
Joel
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 05:02 PM UTC
Joel
I can only echo the comments of others here, your interior looks great! Im right there with you on speed. I have occasional bursts of productivity but most of my benchtime seems to be spent dry fitting, rechecking references and stroking chin whiskers in deep contemplation. Do you have plans yet on when your depicting your B-25, during train up or just prior to launch? With the later you can skip on detailing the guns and depict the broomstick 50s! (that would probably save me at least a week of bench time )
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 06:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have occasional bursts of productivity but most of my benchtime seems to be spent dry fitting, rechecking references and stroking chin whiskers in deep contemplation.

An apt description of my own work as well!!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hey Joel , thanks for your feed back . As to starting the mono kit I can honestly say that it's not going to happen any time soon . As much as I would like to jump in I have way to much on the go now and need to get projects done before I start any thing new . However though , will continue to keep watching your progress .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel
I can only echo the comments of others here, your interior looks great! Im right there with you on speed. I have occasional bursts of productivity but most of my benchtime seems to be spent dry fitting, rechecking references and stroking chin whiskers in deep contemplation. Do you have plans yet on when your depicting your B-25, during train up or just prior to launch? With the later you can skip on detailing the guns and depict the broomstick 50s! (that would probably save me at least a week of bench time )

Mike,
Maybe we can get Jim and Rowan to start a Snail's pace forum. Rules are you have to post the number of hours per week you're actually at the bench, and then what little you actually got accomplished. So far the members list is:

Joel
Mike
Brian

All are welcome to join with just a post of why you qualify.

Excellent thought on how to display my Mitchell. As I really need to make that decision now. I've already left off the twin 50 cal. from the top turret, planning on adding them after painting. From that posted picture I can clearly see that the nose MGs aren't there. I'm going to assume that the tail MGs have been completely removed as well.

Right now I'm planning a simple base of a wooden carrier deck (I remember seeing one that you can buy), and using pins in all 3 wheels to secure the B-25 to the base as I elected not to add any weight over the nose strut.

So, to answer your question I really need to make that decision. And just to be a little different, I'm going to leave all the MGs off, as in the transport configuration.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have occasional bursts of productivity but most of my benchtime seems to be spent dry fitting, rechecking references and stroking chin whiskers in deep contemplation.

An apt description of my own work as well!!

Brian,
I've already added you to our exclusive forum's list. But in your case your build is a ground breaking effort. One that does require an extraordinary amount of research, thought on how to duplicate all that detail into 1/48 scale, and then proceed to accomplish that task, sometimes with multiple efforts and even re-starts.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri

Terri,
No problem, as it was just a passing thought. Looking forward to seeing more of your work here on the boards.

Joel
LCB248
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Joel
I'm going to assume that the tail MGs have been completely removed as well.

Please research, because I'm thinking they may have kept one .50 in the tail???
LCB248
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 08:15 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel
I'm going to assume that the tail MGs have been completely removed as well.

Please research, because I'm thinking they may have kept one .50 in the tail???

OK, I was curious. Can't take this as gospel, but according to Wikipedia:
Each bomber launched with two .50-caliber (12.7 mm) machine guns in an upper turret and a .30-caliber (7.62 mm) machine gun in the nose. The simulated gun barrels mounted in the tail cones, intended to discourage Japanese air attacks from behind, were cited afterward by Doolittle as being "particularly effective".
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:30 AM UTC
Joel:
Congsidering I still have a Monogram B-25H , I'm converting to a B-25G on the Bench for 15 years and going, I can relate to the " Snail Pace" syndrome. Sometimes I just can't get motivated to do conversion and scratch work details that are required to depict the correct modifications. But hey you're doing a better rate of progress than I. Keep it up!!!! Looks GREAT
Todd