Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official tread: Rumble in the East Asian Sky
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:20 AM UTC
The real challenge will be for some brave soul to build ALL of the above list, on time and accurate. Who's up for it?

-Derek
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:31 AM UTC
Here is a breakdown of the Engaments that cover both the Pacific Parimiter, Southwestern Asia and China.

Pearl Harbor
Aluetian Islands
Soloaman islands
New Guinea
Borneo
Malaya
China
Burma
India
Guadialcanal

Least known Battles:

Coral Sea [American an Japanese air battle]
Bismarck Sea [Allied aircrat attack on Japanese Naval Forces]
Milne Bay [Australian Army and Air Force defeat Japanese invasion on eastern New Guinea paninsular.

Hope this helps
goldstandard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
AeroScale: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:52 AM UTC
I am up for this campaign. I will keep my eyes peeled for any interesting subjects.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hi all,

For hose of us who have chosen to build any IJNAF aircraft, [or IJAAF for that matter], Xtra Color do the two Opaque IJA/IJN interior colours, [this is the greenish or blueish clear type paint used early in the war years].

From 1942 whn the IJA/IJN Air Forces had land bases to operate from all their aircraft had a yellow ID on the leading edge of the main wing, the props are Brown, with two yellow bands between blade centre and blade tip diametre.
The next problem is Cockpit Green used from 1943, this colour is Tamiya X73 and in some cases is too light a green for some aircraft such as the Ki 46 Dinah.
Undoubtedly the cowling Blue/Black will emerge on some of these builds and this colour is not available from any model paint manufacturer but, if a Matt Black base is used a light coat of Non Specular Sea Blue applied over te black base will create a good representation of this colour.

Model Master Paints list a range of IJA/IJN including the Primer Brown and Yellow colours [mentioned above], the Upper Green and Lower Grey used, by both Japanese Air Forces.
The IJAAF had several colours in their livery, such as Eath, Dark Earth, where as the IJNAF had a Mauve colour. These three colours outside any LHS would be extremely rare.

Derek,
To build all from the list above would take 10 or more years, with a great deal of scratch building of the ones not available in kit fom, the list is far from complete their is almost 100 aircraft names and types yet too be added.
Two Australian designes, one a twin engined attack aircraft, did see flying time, but was never produced past the prototype. It was called a CA 4 or CA 11 Woomera, the other was a CA 15 Kangaroo, a single engined fighter, in both inline or radial engine, configuration, the prototype [R Griffen powered], as a test aircraft, exceeded the speed of the P 51 Mustang by almost 100 KPH and both of these subjects were done as a 72 scale kit by an Eastern European manufacturer, several years ago. I have some wartime pix of the CA 11, but not of the CA 15.

Hope this helps.
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi all!

Just have to add that White Ensign have a "Japanese WWII" set with most colors used by the Jap Navy and Army.

Among the colors there´s Bamboo green (interior), Aotake (interior), Blue-Black (for cowlings) and Ameiro.

These paints are Enamels and work perfectly!
I have used them for years now, and I am very satisfied with the results.

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatalog/catalogbody.html&CatalogBody

Cheers!

Stefan E
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 06:00 AM UTC
Stefan,

Thanks for the info, it's a brand of model supplies that is not readily available in this region, for my IJA/IJN birds I'm still using the OOP AeroMaster colours, for the cowlings, props and Xtra Color for te interiors .
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stefan,

Thanks for the info, it's a brand of model supplies that is not readily available in this region, for my IJA/IJN birds I'm still using the OOP AeroMaster colours, for the cowlings, props and Xtra Color for te interiors .

Hi Rob!

I know exactly what you mean!

I have never seen any Gunze, Model Master or Aeromaster paints in my part of the world!

Actually, It´s very hard to find anything then Humbrol paints here in Sweden!

For those more authentic and elusive colors, I have to order by mail and as White Ensign comes from England, It was natural for me to try them.
Not very expensive, just a bit more then Humbrol here (even with shipping included!), and fast delivery (never more then a week, often 2-3 days), add to this a vast range of paints!

Now I hardly use anything else!

Cheers Mate!

Stefan E
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC
Rob, thanks for a lot for the great list of aircraft involved. Great to have an expert onboard. Also thanks for the insights on Japanese aircraft colours.
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC
I'm in - not sure what i'll be building as yet - i have two or three kits in the stash that suit - i'll check out and decide later on this week.

Rob - if you have trouble ordering from here in the uk, just let me know what you want and i'm more than happy to arrange to get it shipped to you.

Andy
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 01:12 AM UTC
Jesper,

Your welcome, glad to help.
Also on the aircraft involved list when I finish compiling the info I'll add another list, to the thread.

Andy,
Thanks, for the offer ad I'l let you know, if I strike a problem.
Flyboy_RO
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi everybody,

I am not sure if I will join this one, although I can bring something here:

P40 E, a Corsair, a Zero, a P51 D, one bubbletop P47....a Ki 27....

Wow, I didn't realize I have that many

I will follow your builds and maybe I will have the courage to join!!!

Good luck to you all!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 08:27 AM UTC
I got out my Accurate Miniatures 1/48 B-25G. Promises to be a great kit. It comes with decals for two planes. One Pacific and on from Langley. The Sharkmouth decals go to the Langley based aircraft. I wanted to do the sharkmouth, but it doesn't meet the requirements for the campaign. Aint details a lady? I reckon I need to be researching Pacific Theatre options.

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 02:51 PM UTC
Carl,

The B25g's [1 x 75mm gun version and 2 x .50 in the nose], did opperate in the Pacific with the 'sharks mouth', I'll hunt around and find some info and who make the AM decals for that version. Monogram did a B25h in 48 scale years ago that had the 'shark mouth' decal as the kit option

I have the AM decals for the Bat nosed B25 c/d's only in my collection of AM decals.

Hope this helps.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:56 PM UTC
Andy, welcome onboard. You still have plenty of time to come up with something. The possibilities are (almost) endless.

Gabriel, you are most welcome to follow the campaign and give comments and advise. However, it would be a shame not to enter if time permits. Especially since you have so many kits in your stash that qualifies

Well Carl, I know what you mean about the details. However, hopefully it will be possible to find a shark mouth B-25 that fits into the East Asian sky.
dbaumi60
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hello gents,

i will send a "Wildcat" 1:72 into the campaign. I like U.S carrierplanes very much, so i will enjoy this campaign.

Much fun to all

Dirk
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:10 AM UTC
I've checked the stash and have either an Acc Min b25c/d which has pacific markings, or a SB2C-4 Helldiver, options for USS Essex or USS Bunker Hill, april and march '45 respectively. If either of these options suit i'd like to give the Helldiver a go, USS Essex markings are the three colour blue which i'd like to try.

If neither of these suit i now have 7 PBY's in the stash that could make it!!

Andy
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
Andy,

The Helldiver from either carrier would suit this campaipn.

Some of the USS Bunker Hill SB2C's had the forward half of the cowling painted yellow. The tri colour scheme on tese looks birds looks the more appealing.

Hope this helps.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello gents,

i will send a "Wildcat" 1:72 into the campaign. I like U.S carrierplanes very much, so i will enjoy this campaign.

Much fun to all

Dirk

Welcome onboard, Dirk I do not think we have any Wildcats yet, so it will be a great addition to the campaign
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 06:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've checked the stash and have either an Acc Min b25c/d which has pacific markings, or a SB2C-4 Helldiver, options for USS Essex or USS Bunker Hill, april and march '45 respectively. If either of these options suit i'd like to give the Helldiver a go, USS Essex markings are the three colour blue which i'd like to try.

Andy

Hi Andy, as Rob pointed out both the Helldiver and the B-25 in pacific markings will qualify for this campaign.

Could be very cool with the three colour blue camouflage
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:08 AM UTC
Andy,

The scheme for the Helldiver aboad the USS Essex is, Insignia White, Intermediate Blue and Non Specular Sea Blue.

For the Helldiver {VF 84} aboard the USS Bunker Hill is, Gloss Sea Blue overall with a Yellow forward cowling band, aircraft number is 210.

Carl,

The B 25g Mitchell, is most likely in the Air Commando markings for the Pacific Theatre, with three or four lines on the rear fuselage at a 45 degre angeI, forming a point on the upper fuselage centre spine, I know of the 'G and H' variant with Mouth style motif but not a Sharkmouth.

Hope this helps
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC
USS Essex Helldiver it is for me then.

Andy
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hi guys

I have been playing around a little with some possible ribbons. It might end up being another design than the ones shown here.

I have tried to work with flags etc. on the ribbon, but it did not work out well.

Ideas, colour suggestions, design suggestions, and comments are welcome

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hi Jesper

what about a japanese navy flag

and a black flash or crack above that?

cheers

Steffen
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Thanks for the feed back. I think the idea actually works pretty well as the Japanese were involved in all the battles as the only country in the Pacific. So the to use the flag as a ribbon works for me.

I have made three different designs - I especially like the one with the yellow/orange flash.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi Jesper

Thats what I thought too .. I also like the yellow flash best. It has just a slight problem because it is pretty hard to see (for me) ... can you add a thin dark border to the lightening or maybe make the center a little darker.

best wishes

Steffen