Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official tread: Rumble in the East Asian Sky
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi Dade

Welcome onboard.

As already pointed out there can be an infinite number of entries of the same aircraft, so no problem with entering your Gekko if you want. If you make a diorama it will be even better.

Regarding "locking in your entry". This is not really an issue. You can enter as many aircraft as you want and you can change them along the way. It has happened before that people sat on their builds, the cat destroyed them, people simply changed their minds or similar. You can in theory change your build for the campaign on the last day, but then you will have to build fast

One thing to remember is to only start building after the start date of the campaign. No semi build or previously build models can count as entries.

Other than that - just have fun sharing the hobby with other model builders!
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:24 AM UTC
Carlos,

Thanks for the info and the email.

Jesper,

What's our starting date.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper,

We start on the 1st August, so we will have to keep our hands of those kits for another 4 weeks

Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi Jesper,

Thanks for the info. Excellent! I'm glad we don't have to have our entries locked in as I may decide to add another entry as I go if time permits.

I'll likely do the Betty with Ohka as my main project:

I'm also happy that we don't start until August 1- it gives me time to get my current projects done.

One more question- how long will the campaign run?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC
OK,,Im in!
What a perfect excuse to build another Tamiya P-47
Ive finally found a decal sheet and ordered it today from Hannants.

Im going to build one of the top 2 subjects. The Razorback at the top is perfect those who cant decide between an olive drab or a NMF
I also really like the look of the RAF Bubbletop.
I have both versions in my stash and will decide which I build after Ive had a closer look at the decals when they arrive.
I was originally going to build a "pin up" Jug,," Ready Ruth" using the rest of the decals from my recent Razorback build for "Down Low",but after buying and inspecting the Italeri P47 N Ive decided to hang onto these in the hope that someone (Tamiya please) release an N version in the future.
I just need the official word that P47's used in New Guinea or Burma will qualify for this campaign.
Nige
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at the campaign page, it says August 01.

Btw, I don't know if have I paid proper attention or what, but I had this impression that the starting date was earlier some time ago?
If I hadn't checked the campaigns page, I would have probably started building my first entry.

Guess what, a new camera has arrived! My mom bought a new one when our second unit broke in mysterious conditions while being borrowed my my sister ("it just broke" I suspect it got accidentally dropped...).

Well, here's a few test shots I took of the Buffalo mk.I I'm going to build.

Looking at the kit, I can't help comparing it to the Hasegawa brewster first released in the 90's. Indeed, it seems to be "inspired" by the Hasegawa kits, with several upgrades, the most prominent being the gorgeous resin cockpit. (except for the missing seat belts. There's no PE provided either) You can guess where the engine and wheels come from too. The latter have barely visible filled ejector pin marks quite similar to the Hase's styrene parts and the engine also looks similar, with some added details.
The plastic parts also look familiar, but with many changes for the B-339 version. Clear parts appear to be direct copies of the hasegawa, although they aren't as crystal clear as the originals. A dip in future should fix that though. Since the parts aren't modified, they lack the clear vision panel in the left side of the sliding part. No gunsight is provided either.
One modification that I can't understand is the removal of one landing light under the wing. Hasegawa's early brewster kits had them in both wings, so one had to be filled for the early versions. Now this kit has one light, while these later variants had two... It would be awesome if this meant kits of the early models coming, but from what I've, they're not planning to do them. Also, the main landing gear is now in two parts, requiring careful gluing (but I'll probably drill holes and insert a metal pin to make it more robust).
Decals appear to be of the high quality common to special hobby kits.
Now if this truly is based on the hasegawa kit, it should go together nicely.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jesper,

I'll likely do the Betty with Ohka as my main project:

One more question- how long will the campaign run?

Great choice! I actually almost bought this one for my self for the campaign, but decided to stick to what I had in my stash

The campaign runs until 31st January, so plenty of time for other entries

You can see the details of the campaign and sign up HERE
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK,,Im in!
I just need the official word that P47's used in New Guinea or Burma will qualify for this campaign.
Nige

Great profiles. I am sure it will be stunning no matter what colour and marking scheme you choose.

Both Burma and New Guinea qualify for the campaign, so you can choose freely. You have my official word
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Btw, I don't know if have I paid proper attention or what, but I had this impression that the starting date was earlier some time ago?
If I hadn't checked the campaigns page, I would have probably started building my first entry.

The start date was discussed back and fourth in the forum, but since the campaign was officially posted under campaigns, it has been with the start date of 1st August, as far as I remember. Anyway, we would have stopped you with the first update of your build in the forum

Congratulations on the new camera

Looks like a nice kit. The resin looks crisp and without bubbles. Looking forward to see more after the 1st August
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:23 AM UTC
Jesper,

Thanks for the start date confirmation, I asked as I'm in the middle of a refurbishment of my unit and have had to remove the 'workshop' for a few weeks.

Nigel,

USAAC P 47 Razorbacks used in the PTO, mostly in New Guenea some were on Mainland Oz for a few months, as with the RAF SEAC Thunderbolts {Razorbacks or Bubbletops} they were all based in Burma, if they had the Green / Brown cammo a white ID band on all horizontal surfaces was applied, if in BMF {as per the decal instructions} the ID is black. With exception of SEAC's OTU base it was in Egypt.

Hope this helps.

sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC
I'll be building Accurate Minuatures' SBD 3 Dauntless. It will be painted to have served at Midway.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the confirmation Jesper and Rob!
I still have 3 campaign builds to finish before I start my P-47 so theres plenty of time to decide between Razorback and Bubbletop, although Im erring towards the BMF Bubbletop at the moment.
Rob,
You state that that for the 42Sqn BMF the identification bands were black.On the decal sheet they are blue.I will research this further but do you know which is correct?
This promises to be a fabulous group build!
Nige
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 - 04:02 PM UTC
Nige,

I found all the info on SEAC birds, when I scan the many pages I'll post the info on their P 47's, here [some refs show the bands are Black on BMF birds], along with the complete list of aircraft used in this particular theatre.

Also if anyone is doing any New Zealand birds for this build I have info on their aircraft types also.

Hope this helps.
oleander13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:55 AM UTC
I'd like to build an Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD-3 Dauntless from the Battle of Midway if that's ok with everyone else. I don't think I saw anyone else building one of these.

Hope that will work out ok!!
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to build an Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD-3 Dauntless from the Battle of Midway if that's ok with everyone else. I don't think I saw anyone else building one of these.

Hope that will work out ok!!

That is fine - no problem. It is allowed to have more of the same builds, so theoretically we could all be building SBD-3s for this campaign

Looking forward to see it started when the campaign reaches the start date - I am sure it will turn out great
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 08:57 PM UTC
I would like to enter with a Fujimi 1/48 Aichi Val
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:47 PM UTC
You are most welcome, Neil

Looking forward to see your build progress when the campaign gets started
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi All,

Here is a list of all aircraft types used by the South East Asian Command [SEAC], from '41 - '45. Knowing some of the aircraft types listed are not in kit form, there is also a listing of aircraft used by the British Pacific Fleet, from January '45, if anyone is intersted I'll post them later.

Westland Wapiti V
Vickers Vilderbeest IV
Vickers Valentia
Brewster Buffalo II
Bristol Blenheim IV
Curtiss Mohawk IV [Curtiss Hawk 75, Radial engine pre P 40e]
Hawker Hurricane [Mk's IIb, IIc and PR IIB
Fairchild Argus II
Vultee Vengeance II
Vickers Wellington Mk X
Supermarine Spitfire L.F VIII & PR XI
Bristol Beaufort Mk Ia
N.A. B 25c Mitchell [MA957/X used by 684 Sqn as a PR bird]
Douglas Dakota III
Republic Thunderbolt I [P47 Razorback]
Republic Thunderbolt II [P47 Bubbletop]
Handley Page Halifax III
Consolidated Liberator VI [B24 L]
Consolidated Catalina Ib [PBY 5]
Short Sunderland III
Avro York
Bristol Beufighter [Mk VI, Mk X]
DeHavilland Mosquito [FB VI and PR 34]
Lockheed Electra
Westland Lysander IIIa
N.A. Havard
Stinson Sebtinel II

I have a complete list of Royal New Zealand Air Force aircraft of the Pacific as well as colour side views if anyone is interested in doing a 'Kiwi' subject.

Other colour views I have are:

P39 Aerocobra's
B25 Mitchell's
Japanese Naval Air Force subjects [from Pearl Harbor to Midway]

Nige,

Sorry after checking the BMF P 47d Thunderbolt the ID bands and front of the cowling band are Dark Blue, listed as 605 Insignia Blue
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2007 - 05:58 PM UTC
Hi Rob

I have said it before and I will probably repeat myself in the future

You are a true expert in the Pacific air war(s). I am glad to have you onboard in this campaign and appreciate all the info you are supporting with.

Thanks for the support
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi Jesper!

Having been on a sabbatical from the hobby for over a year, I need an interesting campaign to restart it all. It's not going to be easy for me to start building again, since I currently have very limited space and time.

I do, however, hope that this tiny 1/144 scale gem might do the trick!

The first model that I ever built (I must have been no more than five or six years old) was a "white"* zero with beautiful red roundels. Thirty-odd years later - and having just become a father - this is a perfect time to stroll down memory lane! Thus, I hope that this little A6M2b Zero will be welcome in your Pacific campaign!

*I now read that the correct colour was more "light olive green" than white...

See you at Pearl Harbour!

Cheers!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hey Bjorn!
Good to see you back!!
Rob.
Thanks for the clarification.All I have to decide now is Razorback or Bubbletop
Nige
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 06:02 PM UTC
Bjorn,

The A6M2 would either be IJN Grey overall, or IJN Green over IJN Grey the pic below is a 48 scale bird that a collegues built a few years ago [sadly before taking a break from the hobby].

Nige,

Here are the scans of the SEAC P 47d Thunderbolt's, along with other birds used in the region.

Hope these help.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:37 PM UTC
Rob.
Excellent scans thankyou.
A Fairchild Argus!,,my dad bailed out of one of those in Jan 1947!
Ive looked for a kit online but Ive never found one. Id love to build one.
Hey,,its August 1st!!.
Lets go!!!!
Nige
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC
I really fancy doing a Bristol Beaufighter for this campaign now, so it looks like I will have to go shopping first . Tamiya produce a couple in 1/48th scale.
I also noticed I have the old Airfix 1/72 Lockheed Hudson in my stash too, that could be a quick fun build (then again its Airfix, so probably not )

Andy
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The A6M2 would either be IJN Grey overall, or IJN Green over IJN Grey...

Hi Rob,

Thanks! I wish that life was that easy. But then I read this interesting article. I don't know if there is any true consensus in this regard (and to be perfectly honest, it doesn't matter that much to me). I will try to match the colour of the tiny decal stripes that is provided for the canopy frames (Has anyone tried to do canopies this way!? Any hints?) .

A good thing about 1/144 is that you can build quite a lot in just half a day!

The instructions are all japaneese to me, but the friendly anime cats help! The detail is amazing for this scale! Check out the wheel wells!

Regarding your scans, Rob, I hope to build a Short Sunderland III one day. But then I will definitely need more space. Perhaps there will be interest for a campaign for flying boats next year!? (Sunderlands, Catalinas, Emilys, Berievs, Do24s and the Blohm & Voss creatures, just to mention a few of these impressive and interesting birds)... For now, however, let's keep our focus on this campaign!

Cheers!