Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Official tread: Rumble in the East Asian Sky
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi Jesper:

Count me in this one too.
In a couple of days IŽll be finishing me second entry in the Down Low Tank Busting Campaign and ready to start with this build and the one for the Falklands War campaign.
For this one IŽll build a Mosquito FB Mk VI from 45 Sqn. Kumbhirgram, India, early 1945. The kit is Tamiya in 1/72 decals are Aeromaster.

Wow IŽll be building two twin engined aircrafts in the second half of the year ! (A Pucará and a Mossie)

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi Guys:

I need some help to decide. The two versions that I have the posibility to build are great. Which one would you choose ?
Here is the pic of the decal set:

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 - 04:14 PM UTC
Jesper,

Good job on the ribbon, #1 would suit best, if a black out line of the yellow/orange could be added, that is my choice for tthe campaipn.

Carlos,

Either scheme on the Mossie looks good, if you do the Aluminium Doped bird, seperate the fabric / metal surface coverings, I have the intention of doing this scheme to the Australian Production version, using Alclad II paints.

Hope this helps.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Carlos,

Either scheme on the Mossie looks good, if you do the Aluminium Doped bird, seperate the fabric / metal surface coverings, I have the intention of doing this scheme to the Australian Production version, using Alclad II paints.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rob:
Thanks for the advice.
That means to paint the fabric covers with a diferent shade of aluminium ?

Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC
I need a little help guys. I have done some research into the F4u-1D. Is it true that ALL of them were painted the overall Dark Sea Blue? I was considering a 3-tone scheme but with the info at hand (can't trust pics)...

thanks in advance

Todd
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC
Carlos,

Fabric area of the Mossie would be a lighter shade of aluminium.
The only parts that were metal are the Radiators and Engine Nacelles.
I have a Hurricane Mk I trop in a BMF scheme, I'll put up in a day or so that would give an idea between metal and fabric.
Note: The canopy frame work is not a full frame a per the ilustration of your decal options, I'll put some refs together, for you on this also, [If you don't mind RAAF pix]..

Todd,

The F4U-1d can be in the Tri-colour cammo for the Pacific, in either U.S Navy or U.S.M.C. markings, I have some refs that I can post as a guide if needed.

Hope this helps.
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
That would be great Rob. Thanks a million
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Carlos,

Fabric area of the Mossie would be a lighter shade of aluminium.
The only parts that were metal are the Radiators and Engine Nacelles.
I have a Hurricane Mk I trop in a BMF scheme, I'll put up in a day or so that would give an idea between metal and fabric.
Note: The canopy frame work is not a full frame a per the ilustration of your decal options, I'll put some refs together, for you on this also, [If you don't mind RAAF pix]..

Hope this helps.

Rob: Many thanks for the help youŽre giving me. I believe that IŽll be doing the NMF scheme, so I appreciate very much you info. RAAF MossieŽs pics will be great
Regards.
Carlos
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wanted to do the sharkmouth, but it doesn't meet the requirements for the campaign. Aint details a lady? I reckon I need to be researching Pacific Theatre options.

Hello Carl,

Your in luck, Greatmodels web store has the following decal on sale right now for $4.00 and it has a voracious set of teeth!

1/48 SSI480848 B-25C Mitchells 13th/499th BS

Sincerely,
Brian
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi Carlos, welcome onboard I think your choice about aluminium bird is a good one although it might be difficult to reproduce different "shades" of aluminium depending on the metal/fabric. Anyway, we have Rob as the supporting expert on this one. Thanks again for your help Rob.

Soon I will try to finalize the ribbon and get it uploaded to the site.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carlos, welcome onboard I think your choice about aluminium bird is a good one although it might be difficult to reproduce different "shades" of aluminium depending on the metal/fabric. Anyway, we have Rob as the supporting expert on this one. Thanks again for your help Rob.

Soon I will try to finalize the ribbon and get it uploaded to the site.

Thanks Jesper. IŽm very motivated with this Campaign & with the bird that IŽll build. The Mossie is one of the AC that I like the most (Spitfires too). Up to now I have built three MossieŽs in 1:72 and one in 1/48. This one (the fourth) in NMF will look great in the collection.

To add some motivation to the MossieŽs fans check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOhZEsIq85E

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hi all,

Great clip, not impressed with the sound track.
A remake of the 633 Sqn film, hope they use the right version, unlike the original, but hey for it's time the original film was great.

I've been contracted to do an RAAF PR IV, from the 48 Tamiya B IV kit, that I'd like to add to this Group Build which is PRU Blue with a disruptive Folaige Green, upper cammo.
A side view drawing of this bird appears in an Osprey Book of PR and Bomber Mosquito's Squadrons of WW II.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi guys

Glad to hear that you are finalising your plans for this campaign. In the mean time I have finalized the campaign ribbon based on Rob and Steffens initial ideas and your feed back. Thanks, guys

Any additional feed back before I load it up to the campaign site?

29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 05:50 AM UTC
Jesper,

That ribbon design is better and has my vote.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 06:10 AM UTC
Great Jesper!

many thanks!

greets

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jesper!

Looks great! Has a comics style which i like very much

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys

Glad to hear that you are finalising your plans for this campaign. In the mean time I have finalized the campaign ribbon based on Rob and Steffens initial ideas and your feed back. Thanks, guys

Hi Jesper:

The ribon look great. I like it.
Kriegshund
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys

The ribbon looks great.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 09:41 AM UTC
Looks great but personally I would move the thunderbolt to the right a little so you can see more of the Hinomaru (think that's how it's spelt) of the Japanese flag.

Just my tupence.

P.S. If time allows (as I have a couple of commissions starting soon) I have a Gekko in the stash that I might enter.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the feed back on the ribbon.

@Allen, sounds good with the Gekko. I hope you will have the time to enter it into the campaign.
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
Allen,

Ifthe Gekko is the Tamiya 48 scale their are2 kits available, for either the early or late productions, both kits supply the radar antenia fo the nose, but their is no detail in eiher kit instructions as to their placement.

The early production version has a longer hump on the fuselage spine and both upper and lower oblique firing guns, as this version was used mainly in shipping strikes.

The late production version as a streamlined fuselage and upper firing guns only.

All versions are finished in the IJNAF Dark Green overall.

Hope this helps.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Great clip, not impressed with the sound track.
A remake of the 633 Sqn film, hope they use the right version, unlike the original, but hey for it's time the original film was great.

I've been contracted to do an RAAF PR IV, from the 48 Tamiya B IV kit, that I'd like to add to this Group Build which is PRU Blue with a disruptive Folaige Green, upper cammo.
A side view drawing of this bird appears in an Osprey Book of PR and Bomber Mosquito's Squadrons of WW II.

Hi Rob:

I found this reference about the MossieŽs conopies in the SAM Publications book of the Mosquito. They are very clear. IŽm e mailing the archive to you.

Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 05:26 AM UTC
Howdy! Don't know how I missed this, but I'd like to jump in if it's not too late as my specialty seems to be IJN (ships and planes) and IJA (planes and tanks).

I was gearing up for a Gekko diorama, but see someone else wants to do a Gekko so I'll bow out- not wanting to step on any toes. I've got plenty of other stuff around here- how long do we have before locking in our project?

Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 06:03 AM UTC
If you want to do a Gekko there is nothing stopping you from doing it. There is no limit on what type of aircraft can be done (I think?) afterall there was more Thunderbolts in the Tank Busting campaign than you could shake a stick at. Also as i have already stated there is no guarantee on me starting my Gekko as i have a few commissions to start in a week or so and they will take up most of my modelling time.
Karybdis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi Allen,

No problem- I've got other things that need building so holding off on the Gekko's no big deal. There are so many other choices, I'd rather do another build and keep things interesting than have multiples (as with your example of the Thunderbolt in the other campaign). Besides, the Gekko's so obscure that having two in one campaign is too much.