General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/144 Scale modeling
KV1sm1942
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 06:44 AM UTC
Dear Fellow Modellers

Am currently a 1/144 air enthusiast and would like to see this forum prosper. not sure how to add photos, but let's try this...

Can't recommend the Sweet 1/144 Zero too highly

Andrew J

Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 07:25 AM UTC
Andrew,
Welcome to the forum, and Great Job on the Zero ! The Sweet kits are really little jewels and definitely worth the time and effort. Keep Building, and sharing your builds with us, Thanks. ..................Bruce
FlyingLow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi gang, it has been a while since I posted anything in this forum so here are few photos of my models finished since last time:

100% scratch built Sopwith Camel:

F/A-18 Aggressor:

Couple of winter Bf-109s:

and finally an AlphaJet:

I hope you like them
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 01:12 PM UTC
Bruce, really nice job on that F-8 I just hope mine can look as good when I get around to finishing them.

Andrew welcome to our 'little' corner

Dusan some nice builds, love the little Camel, but a no show for the Alpha jet just a red cross!

As for my builds, well they have ground to a halt with 6 on the bench while I get on with a secret project in 1/48 which I hope to get finished for a show in a couple of weeks.
FlyingLow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hmm, let's try again with the AlphaJet:

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 02:39 PM UTC
Andrew, Great work on the Zero. It looks absolutely stunning with the carrier deck.

Dusan, Great work also. I love the F-18 and the Bf-109's

Keep them coming boys
Exequiel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 06:12 PM UTC
wow! very lovely works!

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC
After a long hiatus I've finally got myself to a place where I can get back to this one.

Here are the decals. I found out that another company MPM build a Profile series which was a kit and 3 different options for the finish. One was a B-24 with the Tubarao scheme. I gave the decals to a friend and he played with the colors a bit and reduced them down to the correct size.

More to come.

Thanks for looking
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
What I have here is a 1/144 Revell F-4 Phantom. Nothing special but I went out and got a set of VF-84 Jolly Rogers decals for it.

flyeven
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 12:12 PM UTC
Puzzling fact,
I wounder if any one can explain it!
Why RoG do not scaledown there 1:72 scale F-16MLU to 1:144 and 1:72 scale F-16B to 1:144 scale
One can but live in hope!

José César
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 12:55 AM UTC
So far over 2 nights I've installed just over 25 decals on this bird. :shock: 25 Decals on a 1/144 fighter is insane!

Next will be a clear coat to seal it all in and then it'll be time to attack that dreaded canopy.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Dirk,
It is amazing just how much work you can pour into a 1/144th scale bird. But Jose does have a good point. Sometimes you have to wonder why the model companies pick one aircraft over another. Your F-4 is a good case in point. We really need a new mold with up to date technology for the F-4 family. Listening out there, Revell,Platz, or DML ?

And what does everyone else think ?

Take it easy...............Bruce...
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dirk,
It is amazing just how much work you can pour into a 1/144th scale bird. But Jose does have a good point. Sometimes you have to wonder why the model companies pick one aircraft over another. Your F-4 is a good case in point. We really need a new mold with up to date technology for the F-4 family. Listening out there, Revell,Platz, or DML ?

And what does everyone else think ?

Take it easy...............Bruce...

While I've never seen one I would assume that the company's poll (Someone) to find out what is hot and what is not. I would also venture to guess that the cost to build the molds for these has to be somewhat expensive and the market in general is quite small over all. I would love to see Dragon do a new F-4 or anything for that fact. They have such great detail (but piss poor decals)
kenner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
The quality of newer 1/144th scale kits is amazing but there are some definite holes.

You'd think an F-4F would be an obvious choice for Revell.de

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
Almost there. I need to seal in the decals, canopy, missiles and some touch ups. Maybe a dull cote. I haven't decided.

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2010 - 02:54 PM UTC
I know most of you guys make comments on the cleanliness of someones bench but I accidentally broke off one of the prop blades an d the only way to find it was to remove everything from the bench. Luckily for me the blade landed on the bench and not into the abyss that is my carpet.

The end result is a sparkling clean bench.

Here you can see that the prop has been repaired. It was the top outside blade on the inboard engine.

Here she is all decaled up. All that's left is turrets, canopies, landing gear, touch ups, seal cote/ dull cote.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hi all

Setting our sights a little bit ahead, I'll be looking for a volunteer to build Eduard's limited edition 1:144 Me 262 JV44 "White 5" that's included with their 1:48 Fw 190D Dual Combo. I'll review the whole package as soon as I can - after that the Me 262 will be up for grabs.

All the best

Rowan
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 10:35 AM UTC
Rowan,
On behalf of the "Wee Small Models Group", We all thank you for thinking of us. I have no doubt that one of our group on your side of the "Pond" will be only too delighted to help you out. How about it Gang ?

Also Rowan, Thanks for a lot of your work with the WWI Group, I appreciate all of it. Keep modeling Gang........ Bruce
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

Setting our sights a little bit ahead, I'll be looking for a volunteer to build Eduard's limited edition 1:144 Me 262 JV44 "White 5" that's included with their 1:48 Fw 190D Dual Combo. I'll review the whole package as soon as I can - after that the Me 262 will be up for grabs.

All the best

Rowan

I am half a volunteer

For how long must the build take

Cheers Nick
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 01:07 PM UTC
Guy's sorry for the late post, but at last here is a 1/144 scale photo report on the IPMS Telford show

Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 04:06 PM UTC
Luciano,
Outstanding, my friend. Thank you for the photo report. Looks like there were some very interesting pieces there. Looks like I'll have to get busy cranking another out again. But sooooo many choices !

So what is everyone else doing ? Take it easy .............Bruce
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So what is everyone else doing ? Take it easy .............Bruce

Finally adding the decals to the Miniwing A-7A. Unfortunately, due to my "ham-fistedness" and the decals being ALPS printed, I've had to ask my "decal provider" to reprint a couple decals. I was hoping to have it finished by the end of November. Oh well...

I'm also a good bit along on the Owl JB-2 Loon. Just have to add the final piece of photoetch to the Loon's intake, and finish up the trolley, then it will be ready for priming.

Next, and after I re-scribe the horizontal tail pieces, I'll move further on the OzMods T-33. Still have to cut-out the canopy and attach it, but once that's accomplished - and the tail pieces glued and seams dealt with - it too will be ready for primer.

After that? Possibly the Miniwing XF10F-1 Jaguar or their version of the V-1, which I'm converting into the US Navy equivalent of the Loon.

And it's time for my daily mantra: too many models, too little time...
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 04:49 PM UTC
Alrighty then, Folks,
I'm in need of some assistance. I've read in several places the latest Minicraft C-130's are a "New Mold" ? Has anyone seen any of these to compare ? I'm really interested to see if they corrected the engine intakes ? Those horrible squares just have to go. I'm looking at starting an MC-130E, and fortunately I had previously purchased the Braz corrected engines. But I was wondering if Minicraft was going to finally straighten out that mess up.

And lets hear it Gang, what other kind of projects are starting out there ?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.............Bruce
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 04:42 AM UTC
can be applied quickly to selected text.
Not my best work but in my defense I'm still getting use to this smaller scale.

Hanging out with little cousin the F-14

Hanging out with little cousin the F-18

Family portrait

Thanks for looking
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC
Folks,
OK Then. I already stated I've started work on a Minicraft C-130. But I was just wondering if anyone has compared the Minicraft C-130 series against the Amodel C-130 series ? Any info out there ?

For that matter, has anyone built any of the Amodel C-130's ? I have a few Amodel products, which leave a little to be desired. I realize they are a new company, and their products are making strides to improvement, but they are not up to standards yet that I have seen. Opinions ?

Take it easy, Gang.........................Bruce