General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/144 Scale modeling
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2011 - 02:23 PM UTC
Newest kit from Fox One in Japan is the Chinese J-20. We provide a First Look on it:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/flaviation/Fox-One-1-144-Chinese-J-20.php

I'm hoping to build it this weekend .
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
Matt,
Needless to say, that was quick, a J-20 already ! But I also noted in the latest SAMI that Trumpeter is also releasing a new model of the J-10 in several versions. When this is due for release there was no hard time, but my guess is this will be the source for new kits in 1/144th for a while.

But also Welsh models is cranking out a few. I've read about a C-119 coming, and rumors of the Embraer family. So there is some hope for us yet !

Anyone else have any info ? Take it easy.............Bruce ......
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hasegawa has a 1/144 Embraer already out. Watch IM.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
AeroScale: 372 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 05:50 PM UTC
I have been watching this thread from the sidelines for some time now, and I have a question for you guys. What paints and mixture ratios are you all using that allow such vibrant colors without losing all of the detail on these kits, especially the fighters? And do you hand brush them?
Thanks in advance!
Jeremy
pbhawkin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 170 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 07:23 PM UTC
Hi Jeremy and welcome to our 1/144 world!
Firstly here is a link to a discussion about repainting Gasphon or trading toys from Japan (F-Toys, Cafe-Reo, Cando etc). It is hosted by Martin of kampfgruppe144 fame and you may need to register to view or post.
http://www.kampfgruppe144.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=82

Anyway, I am repainting various F-toys and have found that you do NOT need to strip the paint at all. A clean with Iso to remove grease etc and any paint should go on and stick nicely.
I have also found that Pollyscale acrylic paints have a couple of EXACT matches for the German RLM colours as used by F-toys.
So, the RLM70 (black Green) and the RLM65 (light Blue) are spot on. The RLM71 (dark Green) has the slighest of hue differences that will not show up once under a future and dull coat. Also found that RLM22 (Night Black) is an exact match for the F-toys Black, And the Vallejo 70843 with a little Black is a good match for F-toys RLM79a.

I do both handbrushing and airbrush as well as use Pollyscale acrylic, Tamiya acrylic, JPS acrylic, Model Master Enamel and am looking at adding Lifecolor acrylic and maybe WEM enamels (acrylics are easy and non-smelly to use in my study inside but the enamels are good for airbrushing in the shed).

hope this helps.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hmm, interesting stuff to think about. I was looking more at model kits than capsule toys, but the Gashapon may be a good way for me to practice painting. I will see if I can hunt down some F-toys products when I have a chance
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:58 AM UTC
I'm putting the B-29 back on the line. While I was researching I dug out one of my all time favorite movies. Can you guess what it is?

Close up

Back to business. Here I'm masking the leading edges for some more paint action.

Paint

The Revile

Thanks for looking. More to follow
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 02:05 PM UTC
Time to pay a little attention to the aft end of the ole gal.

The twin 50's are in place along with the tail gunners window.

After mulling over some more photos of these great beasts I realized there is something more I need to add to the tail section. You see the early B-29s were armed with ten 50 cal machine guns and one 20mm cannon. The cannon was mounted in the tail centered between and just above the 50's.

Using a pin-vise I set to work

Using Evergreen styrene rod I fashioned a make shift 20mm cannon

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 03:44 PM UTC
Looks good Dirk. I'd say the movie is Bullet with Steve McQueen. One of my favorites too. "Q"
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 10:39 PM UTC
Looking good Dirk. I would'nt like to sneak up on your Super Fortress from behind .
I reckon it's Bullit as well. Best car chase ever.
All the best.
tim
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. You were both right it is Bullitt and it'd defiantly the best chase scene ever filmed.

As for not wanting to sneak up ion the back of the Superfortress I guess the 20MM cannon wasn't so effective as from what I've read most crews took removed the cannon because of its ineffectiveness. But to keep the wolves at bay they crews sometimes used a broom stick for appearances.
Exequiel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
very lovely progress you're having dirk. looking forward to another wonderful finish.

i haven't been doing any 144 birds lately, but looking at my stash i'd like to start on that DML invader or even the F-5 aggressor. however i am bothered by those plastic blobs they have for crewmen. somebody once provided me a link where to get aftermarket pilots, but my stupidty got in the way again and i have misplaced it. can anyone here show me where i can get modern pilot figs?

thanks!
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

very lovely progress you're having dirk. looking forward to another wonderful finish.

i haven't been doing any 144 birds lately, but looking at my stash i'd like to start on that DML invader or even the F-5 aggressor. however i am bothered by those plastic blobs they have for crewmen. somebody once provided me a link where to get aftermarket pilots, but my stupidty got in the way again and i have misplaced it. can anyone here show me where i can get modern pilot figs?

thanks!

Hi Raphael it was Aeroclub that made 1/144 metal pilots with ejection seats, but since the death of one of the main staff last year the online shop has been closed. You may still find the pilots at other shops that stock Aeroclub items though.
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 04:36 PM UTC
Raphael,
As far as crewmen, and depending on the "pose" your looking for, there might be a few around. As Luciano stated, Aeroclub had sitting pilots, I don't know if they are available anymore. Plus if I remember correctly, I think Oz-Mods from Australia has a few. But your best bet would be the Prieser figures from Germany. I have modified the "Modern German Air Force" figures several times. Just "Google" Prieser 1/144th figures. Hope this helps. Take care..........Bruce...
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Has anyone else "liked" RetroWings on FB yet? If not, here are some announcements from them.

A4D-1 is just waiting on decals
A-6 cockpit for the Dragon kit
A-4 "smooth fuselage" for the Platz kits

Pretty cool.
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 01:16 AM UTC
Finally finished the Fox One Chengdu J-20.

More here: http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/aviation/Fox-One-1-144-Chengdu-J-20.php
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
The Pit-Road Sukhoi T-50 finally came in. Here's the First Look of it:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/flaviation/Pit-Road-1-144-Sukhoi-T-50-PAK-FA.php
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 - 07:38 PM UTC
I didn't realize how large 1/144 aircraft actually were. I picked up a Dragon F-14 twinpack and the size is really nice, granted the F-14 was quite large for what it was. If anyone has any other recommendations for a beginner I'm all ears..
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone else "liked" RetroWings on FB yet? If not, here are some announcements from them.

A4D-1 is just waiting on decals
A-6 cockpit for the Dragon kit
A-4 "smooth fuselage" for the Platz kits

Pretty cool.

Hi Matt, I got to see these in the flesh last week and they look real nice, they have also got Jumo 004 engines for the Eduard Me-262 coming soon.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 11:02 AM UTC
Well a long time with no builds, so here we have some work in progress that are campaign builds.

First two Revell F-14D's wheels up in a fly by, VF-101 my favourite squadron. 'Cats out of the bag campaign'

Aeroclub pilots will find their way into the cockpits but they may be legless

Next we have a Revell Harrier GR.7

Oh Aeroclub are still going but no longer run their mail order shop, they where at a show last week and I picked up five packs of pilots.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't realize how large 1/144 aircraft actually were. I picked up a Dragon F-14 twinpack and the size is really nice, granted the F-14 was quite large for what it was. If anyone has any other recommendations for a beginner I'm all ears..

Jeremy go with the Dragon kits, not the most accurate and with iffy cockpits (read alien crew) plus some howlers (A-10) although the choppers are good I believe. Sweet kits if you can find them are also great for both the beginner and expert. Older Revell kits (some re-boxed) would also suit while the newer issues are as detailed as bigger scale kits.

Hope that helps some.
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 08:46 PM UTC
Sounds good, thanks Luciano!
mbittner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:44 PM UTC
Published a "First Look" on the new Fox One Northrop Grumman X-47B:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/artman/publish/flaviation/Fox-One-1-144-Northrop-Grumman-X-47B.php
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
For those of you into airliners Roden has a series of 1:144 DC 7C kits each in a different livery.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:31 AM UTC
Guy's a mini show photo report from the RAF Cosford 2011 model show, all items in the photos are 1/144 for the rest of the report check out the Bulldogs site for all other items later this week.