Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Twin Spinner Approved
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 06:11 AM UTC
I am getting close too!

But unless work is really light the next couple days, I might not make it (fair chance of it not quite getting finished actually).

I know there was a one month extension already, but...

still need to post update pics, but haven't had time for that!

vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am getting close too!

But unless work is really light the next couple days, I might not make it (fair chance of it not quite getting finished actually).

still need to post update pics, but haven't had time for that!

well, just noticed the campaign ends tomorrow, not at the end of the month, and also I have to work late tonight and another long day tomorrow, so there is no hope unless there is another extension.

If there isn't, I think I started my build late enough to qualify it for the Battle over Europe campaign anyway, so I'll just shift my updates over there.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Vance

Actually I think the extension was made until the end of July... guess J-L or whoever changed that kept the day and changed the month ... Carl?

I will probably finish tomorrow, just a flatcoat, removing masks and the antenna.

good luck to all who want to make it

cheers

Steffen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 12:48 PM UTC
Yes. I think so. Memory is not my strong suit.
bryan4010
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hello,

I’m trying to get it finished in time. Cockpit and pilot are painted and masked off. I primed it Tuesday morning and painted the neutral gray underside after getting home this afternoon. So far this evening I masked the separation between the Neutral Grey and Olive Drab with Parafilm M and after some Caffeine if my eyes don’t get to fuzzy I’m going to spray OD. Gloss coat and decals tomorrow.

Bryan

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi gang

Well, as fate is generous sometimes (when it comes to modelling) I managed to finished this model.

There are a few bits that have to be (re)done. The wheels from the box are wrong so I will add replacements later. The antenna wire is something that can break this project so I left it off, in the end it would be hardly visible if I would add a true to scale wire (sorry I have short hair ) .. also to be added later. And I found a glitch when I took the pix, I forgot the landing light (I'll mount the part soon).

As these are minor things I call it finished.

So "Feuer Frei!" and bash it l.

cheers

Steffen
_H_Dori
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
AeroScale: 276 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 04:20 AM UTC
Very nice 110 there Steffen. It's come out really well.

I must start one of these Eduards kits soon!!

Howard
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
You made it in time!
Looks great.

Overall, how was the kit?

Quoted Text

...You're suggesting another extension?
Well, I wouldn't oppose if there was one more.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 05:53 AM UTC
well, unless there is another time extension (of a couple weeks), I am junt not going to be able to finish - work is hammering me too hard for me to risk trying to hurry up and finish my Ju-88 in the little time i am home and exhausted. I'd hate to screw something up at this point.

congrats to all who did finish, and that 110 looks excellent Steffan!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hi Steffen!

Very nice 110! I like the colors you used on this one...

When you have added the small bits, would you mind sending me some more pictures for a photo feature?

Quoted Text

...You're suggesting another extension?
Well, I wouldn't oppose if there was one more.

Errr... I to would be happy to have a couple of weeks more to finish my Siebel... Campaign Leader?

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi bros

Many thanks for your kind words.

@Eetu: the model was not a Tamiya and a bit complex in places but over all a good model. I would have liked a closed pilots canopy as it is no so easy to get all the parts flush (I failed on this task). Take care at the wings to fuselage joints and the nose does also not fit too well but thats about it.

@J-L: I will send pix when I manage not to screw up on the finish line. I also forgot the glass armour, but will attach it today

Lets start a "Glacial" campaign for all the projects that we did not finish in time .. I know there was the "Get the job done" but I think of 5 years running time and you only have to finish one model ... if you do more you get a ribbon with pendant Rowan will be the king

cheers

Steffen
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:02 PM UTC
Steffan. I will credit you with a completed mission. It looks fantastic. So, what is next? I think there are a few of us rumbling about a 190 campaign.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 08:15 PM UTC
Excellent build, Steffen. I cannot wait to see my ordered Bf 110 "in the flesh".

This seems to be a never ending campaign, but with the level of the entries it is fine with me
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steffan. I will credit you with a completed mission. It looks fantastic. So, what is next? I think there are a few of us rumbling about a 190 campaign.

Hi Carl and Jesper

Many thanks!! I am very happy that I could finish "my" campaign.

Just to make things clear re my "glacial statement" I do not care how long this will be extended and I would love to see more twin spinners finished!!

Carl, another question: Do I need to upload one or two pix anywhere?

190 campaign .. Hmmm yummy; .I have soooooo many started that this would be a nice excuse to finish them and I have a Hasegawa Fw 190 A-4 Graf (with the extra air intakes, I will build Egon Mayers altitude fighter) in the mail so count me in
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to make things clear re my "glacial statement" I do not care how long this will be extended and I would love to see more twin spinners finished!!

really?

well, ok, cool. I'll post update photos on my Ju 88G-6 build today then.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
Well, here is where the Ju-88G-6 was at a few days ago:

rear gun position installed and rear canopy attached:

Had to carve out the area forward of the cockpit to ensure the front canopy section would have a good fit:

Canopy complete and blended in with Mr. Surfacer. The seat belts are painted on. I did this to keep the model an OTB build, as I am hoping to enter it in a local model show in september in the box stock category (the theme of the show is "crazy 8s" - anything with "8" involved qualifies for the theme).

Top and bottom views of scrubbed and dried main build (the spinners are removable):

I have since attached a few more small bits (mostly radio and radar antenna masts), masked the clear parts, and primed with neutral gray, but need to charge my camera batteries before I can take pictures of that (which requires finding the charger...). Also, I'm out of town for the next few days, so update early next week (assuming that extension goes thru?)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 05:44 AM UTC
Hi Vance

thats looking really good, hope Carl will give you the time to finish it!!! I'd also like to see J-L's Siebel.

cheers

Steffen
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Vance

thats looking really good, hope Carl will give you the time to finish it!!! I'd also like to see J-L's Siebel.

cheers

Thanks Steffan!

Well, if there is no extension (i'll need a couple weeks... hint, hint) then that's ok, I'll just say this is for the Battle for Europe campaign (I started this after the start date for that campaign, so I think it'll be ok to do that). So you'll be able to see updates there if not here.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 12:15 PM UTC
Well folks, The ribbons have been posted. Let me know if I missed anybody, as I am sure I did. A lot of you participated in this, and I think it was a really great campaign. Thank you for your support.
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 08:37 PM UTC
Looks great, Vance. A really nice cockpit.

Looking forward to see more
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi all!

Vance, nice Ju 88! I like the way you mastered the front canopy problem. The painted seatbelts look great too.

Here is how the Siebel looks like at the moment...

I hope to reach the painting stage soon...

Jean-Luc
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 09:26 AM UTC
JL. That looks really good. I am amazed at how well this kit went together for you.
bryan4010
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 06:39 PM UTC
Hello,

I have finished my P-38 “Journey’s End” for the campaign. The kit is 1/48 Monogram with aftermarket wheels added. I also placed fine mesh screen in the intakes and drilled out a bunch of intake holes as well. It was a challenging build but I enjoyed working on it. Thank you to CaptainA for a nice campaign and congratulations to everyone for their splendid work.

Bryan

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:10 PM UTC
Hi Bryan

your Lightning turned out great! congratulations .. hope you get the deserved ribbon despite the small delay

cheers

Steffen

p.s. next time you experience the silvering with old decals, try to glue them on with Future or your favorite clear paint, i.e. place the decals on wet clear paint

p.p.s. Bf110 RC just in .. a box full of fun
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 12:56 PM UTC
Bryan, that reall looks great. A P-38 was the second model kit I ever made. Love that plane. You really brought it to life.

Steffen, You should know I take care of my guys. He has been ribboned.